Packing for Italy in Mid-Summer

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be travelling to Italy this summer July 24 - August 5th. Our itinerary so far is Milan 2-3 days, Tuscany 2-3 days, Rome 2-3 days. We will travel two short trips to the Abruzzo region (where my husbands family is from), and also to Ferrara for one day or so. My father-in-law is planning this trip so I am not certain but I do believe we will also be going to Venice for a day or two. I can prepare a bit more when I have more details... but this is all I have so far.

So my question is this what kinds of clothes should I pack for visiting all of these areas mid-summer?

I have been told by my European friends that Jeans, shorts and tennis shoes while not necessarily a "no-no" will definately make us stand out as American Tourists. So I guess I would also like to blend in a bit too while finding the most comfortable and flexible wardrobe to take on the trip. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 06:54 AM

You can find lots of discussion about what to wear in Italy by using the search function on this forum. Italy will be very hot during the time you are traveling. My advice is to not take jeans - too hot and heavy. Don't take shorts unless you will be in a resort area - you can't get into many places in shorts. Take lightweight cropped pants, linen slacks and cool skirts or dresses. If you have very comfortable sandles, good for walking, take those.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 07:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Think light, think heat. For women, definitely a sun dress and sandals; shorts are fine unless you're visiting a church. For men, the lightest-weight slacks and long shorts you can find. Look for materials that breathe. Nothing is worse than being next to someone in a line in the middle of summer who is wearing a synthetic material.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 07:10 AM

In 2002 we were there June 16-July 1 - IT WAS HOT. I packed blcak capri's, and a dress. Husband wore black pants as we wanted to appear non-touristy. We came home much less worried about it, but happy with our choices. We saw plenty of people in jeans/shorts/sneakers.

We also packed single-color coordinates, so we didn't need to worry about multiple shoes, and were able to pack just a rollabaoard each. Read on the fourm for tips, makes your life much easier, and you really won't miss all the other stuff.

Be sure to beware of the ruls against no-bare shoulders and knees for churches, no matter how you choose to pack.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 07:16 AM

Sorry... spell check is usually my friend

The one thing I did notice that seemed tacky were t-shirts. In the USA, we seem to have a lot of "VA is for Lovers" and "I survived x and y"... type t-shirts that are acceptable for a day out and about. People wearing those stuck out like a sore thumb in England and Itlay, but to each his/her own.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 08:33 AM

I'm a pack-light Nazi, but other than that, I suggest leaving your jeans at home. Hot+muggy+jeans=hell. Wear something light and breezy.

I disagree with mamc. There's nothing wrong with wearing shorts, but on a day you know you will be visiting some place with a no-shorts rule (like the Vatican), put some slacks in your daybag and change in the wc before entering.

And I don't care what you wear, you WILL stand out as an American. But so what? Your trip will go smoother if you pay more attention to your manners and the local customs than to what you wear.

The only thing that looks ridiculous in terms of wardrobe, imho, is a fannypack.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your input. I did search this forum for other insights on packing.. many were several years old. So I don't know what trends may have changed since then.

I am not as concerned about "standing out" as an American per say. But I do think that I want to wear attire that is appropriate, not offensive, and is versatile enough that I do not have to carry with me a change of clothes everywhere. I would like to try to take a mimimalistic approach to packing and still have the necessities for dining out, sight seeing, and yet be prepared for the weather at that time of the year.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 11:34 AM

wow. you're leaving in July and have already started thinking about what to pack. I guess you're not a last minute packer

Just remember no one in Milan will know if you wear the same outfit in Tuscany and then again in Rome. The men won;t figure it out either.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 12:49 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
This is my list for a woman's 2-3/week summer hot weather wardrobe that packs in one 22-24" rolling suitcase (tested in both Venice and Switzerland in 4 different July/August trips):

3 Tank tops
1 Lightweight vest to go over them
2 Sleeveless button-up blouses
3 Nice t-shirts or knit tops
2 Long loose shorts
2 Capri pants
1 Rayon palazzo style long pants
1-2 Skirt or sundress (optional)
2 pair sandals
1 pair walking shoes or athletic shoes
1 pair flip flops
bathing suit and sarong
Black silk knit cardigan
Robe &/or something to sleep in
Underwear, bras, lightweight socks

Cotton, certain linens, silk, knits, and some types of polyester work best for me. Layer and wear your bulkiest things on the plane ride over.

People in Europe do most certainly wear sneakers, jeans, and shorts they just manage to look more stylish doing it that we do!

I'd skip jeans more because they are too heavy, hot to wear, bulky to pack, slow to dry if you do laundry along the way.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 01:02 PM

I would also skip the shorts unless you are very very young.
Suze gave you a good list of what to bring..I would add a very large scarf that can be used as a sash, it sure comes handy if you want to stop at a church , which Rome in Rome is easy to do,and you are not dressed properly.

Years ago I was in Milan and wanted to visit the famous Duomo, which is a fantastic Gothic Cathedral, I had a sleeveless top, the usher did not want to let me in.. very nonchalamnent removed the scarf from my skirt and voila, my shoulders were covered.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 01:04 PM

sorry i should preview my Answers..Omit the extra ROME..
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 01:11 PM

I added shorts to my permanent list when I was caught by a surprise heatwave in Switzerland a few years ago. It was HOT HOT HOT. I bought several pair of shorts there - mid knee length, subtle printed colors in rayon fabric, loose enough to hang like a skirt. I wear them with a nice cotton blouse or the tank/vest combo I mentioned and nice looking sandals. Sorry but I'm simply not willing to drop dead of heat stroke to uphold an imaginary tourist wardrobe code of do's and don't!
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

Wow Suze!
Thanks those are great tips. I have been told that it is extremely hot and humid in Italy late July, so I am thinking of taking mostly skirts (much cooler than regular shorts) - better air flow

I have to admit.. I am a planner (as if you couldn't tell..pondering what to pack already). But, I was pretty certain that I would have to purchase a few things for the trip and am trying to plan ahead.

On another note.. what kind of bag did everyone carry with them (ie. for camera, wallet, tissues, passport etc..) on a daily basis?
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 10:23 AM

Since I'm on a roll(!) I'll tackle the purse question.

My preference is to use one of my normal pocketbooks from home (leather hobo pouch style sturdy with thick strap that can go over shoulder or across the body). I don't like to take something brand new and have never found the ones made specially for travel to my liking.

I have a second small (5"x7"x2&quot double zippered leather bag that I use like a moneybelt for my most valuables and/or on days I don't need a big tote. It is just the size to hold: passport, cash, card, tiny hairbrush, lipstick, kleenex, sunglasses, disposable camera, street map.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 10:52 AM

Suze..would your packing list apply to travel in Sicily in mid to late September?
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 11:01 AM

I was there in July 2 summers ago and wish I had brought more knee length skirts or sundresses. Cool and look great. Capris were also popular. Sturdy sandals and walking shoes are fine.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 11:21 AM

egat- I have no idea... What's the weather in Sicily in September? My list worked well for 75-95F. Cooler than that, you would simply substitute a few pieces like add long sleeve tshirts, skip the tank tops and shorts.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 04:21 PM

Regarding the bag/purse question, I have a "healthy backpack" that can be found from Travelsmith or travel stores. It's kind of kidney shaped, comes in 3 different sizes and various colors & materials, single wide strap to go over one shoulder. Great design, perfect, handy pockets inside and out. Main zipper is in against your back so it can't be opened from behind without you knowing. I carry the medium size: small camera, water bottle, small guide book, street map, comb, and travel umbrella if necessary. Even room for a sweater.

Buon viaggio!
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 06:38 PM

I have found that when being in Italy in hot/humid weather that dresses are the coolest of all. Or a skirt and blouse or Tshirt.

Capri's IMHO are the next best.

To me shorts are not the best as they are more limited as to where you can wear them and sometimes in hot weather when you sit down your bare skin is touching a real hot surface. Italian women do not wear shorts unless they are at a resort or the beach etc.

I live in an area that gets real hot around August and I have found the same style of clothes work better here too.

BTW cmferrara, Abruzzo is very conservative. I would suggest a dress or a skirt and top.

You do not want jeans, it will be way to hot. And IMHO tennis shoes will not be what you want either. Again, way to hot.

What I am suggesting, although it will work fashion wise regarding as to where you are going, is for your comfort also as July and August can get very hot and humid

Just pick a basic color and then pack other clothes that go with that basic color. Try to have tops and bottom mixmatch.

And have a wonderful trip! It sounds like a lot of fun.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 06:41 PM

Jeans in July/August in Italy and you will roast, never mind looking like tourists!!!

When we were there last late June/early July, I wore lots of loose dresses, shorts, and capri pants with cool (temperature) tops. My husband wore mostly shorts and button up cotton short sleeved shirts. Of course, for visiting some churches, you will need to have your knees and shoulders covered (St. Mark's in Venice is one).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -