What to wear?

Old May 15th, 2005, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to wear?

Hi All- we will be visitng San Antonio, Hill Country and Austin at the end of July. I'm thinking it will be pretty hot in Texas and was wondering what is acceptable to wear at night to dinner at the Riverwalk and other restaurants, for both me and my husband. We live near Boston and it seems as though everyone is pretty casual these days, but lots of black. Black seems hot for Texas. Plus, we want to pack as little as possible. (we have been taking car vacations the past few years and I've taken "the kitchen sink" with us, this time, it's planes and rented cars.)Any tips? thank you. dbldidit
Old May 15th, 2005, 06:23 AM

It'll still be warm in the evenings. Shorts & polo shirt for males and "Pedal Pushers" and a nice top for women with a nice pair of sandals for both.

Wear black only if you are attached to that color of clothing.

I can tell you stories about lugging the "kitchen sink" around.
Old May 15th, 2005, 06:32 AM
Jayne1973

Yes, it will be HOT and if you don't dress accordingly you won't look good because you will be miserable. You don't need to bring a lot of clothes... basic shorts for both you and hubby and cool, breathable tops. Everywhere except the fanciest places is pretty casual, but if you want to prepare for dressing up a little, wrinkle resistant capris or a very lightweight skirt and a fun top will do the trick. Many men wear shorts, sandals and a casual button down or cotton polo for a dressier look. I'd save the black for nightime and then only if it's cool cotton or lightweight rayon. If you think you'll go somewhere really fancy, just have your husband pack a pair of khaki pants. Have fun -- are you going to Schlitterbaun? You can cool off there for sure!

Old May 15th, 2005, 06:40 AM

Vote for cool and casual from me too. Don't forget to pack the sunglasses!
Old May 15th, 2005, 08:35 AM
GoTravel

If San Antonians are anything like we are, bring a sweater for indoor wear because we keep our AC on snowstorm.

Old May 16th, 2005, 04:51 AM
Jayne1973

Also be aware that (for women) flip flops go with virtually anything right now! They are so cheap and so easy to pack -- you can almost take a pair for every outfit.

Old May 19th, 2005, 04:53 AM

Yes, July in Texas is going to be sweltering. Even so, you probably won't want to wear flip flops on the riverwalk or while sightseeing. Sandals are fine. I would take a few versatile pieces with one matching summer sweater or jacket. I just checked out Ann Taylor's website and you can get an idea of what'll work by looking there; anntaylor.com and go to "weekend casual." Choose tops that can do with shorts or skirts and fabrics that don't have to be dry cleaned or that can be packed in your suitcase (as opposed to a garment bag).

If you have a great black halter dress or other sleveless dress, bring that for evenings.

For men, Budman is right for most restaurants. A good rule of thumb is if you need reservations, sandals are not going to cut it for men. Just about everywhere else, they will be fine.
Old May 19th, 2005, 06:39 AM
GoTravel

Your feet will melt if you wear cheapie flip flops on pavement.

Old May 19th, 2005, 09:20 AM
dcespedes

I live here and wear Reef flips all the time during the summer but I don't consider them to be cheap which explains why my feet are still in tact ;-)

Old May 19th, 2005, 10:04 AM
GoTravel

Yes, either Reefs or Rainbows are good flip flops that will hold up to the heat and pavement.

Another reason to be grateful to surfers