Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Arriving Mestre by car, bound for Venice - tomorrow! Parking? Train?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My understanding is that there are parking structures at the train station, and that we should catch a train to Stazione Santa Lucia, and then vaporetto to our stop. I found some older posts talking about street parking and taking a bus. Just thought I would ask the question again ... please put my mind at ease! We will be in Venice 3 nights, so economical parking is a must, but so is secure parking.

Having a great time so far -- but the mosquitoes in Tuscany and Umbria LOVED me. More bites than I have had TOTAL in the past 10 years. Fortunately, not too itchy. But not pretty. It has been in the mid 80s and all blue sky this week, but will change tonight -- one day of rain predicted. Hoping it will be done by the time we arrive to train & vaporetto to our lodging in Venice.

Thanks!
Old Oct 6th, 2011, 11:34 AM

Or you can drive right over the causeway to Venice proper and the Pizza Roma where they are huge car parking decks - may be cheaper to park in Mestre, don't know but then you'd pay some train fare - or you can take a bus as well Mestre to Pza Roma in Venice - at Pza Roma you can hop on vaporettos just like at the nearby train station. Some may caution about parking on the street if you leave things in your car that look valuable. And beware parking discs requirements as well for street parking which may be limited to a certain period.
Old Oct 6th, 2011, 12:45 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
i agree with Pal - drive over to Venice proper, leave the car in the huge car parks there, then get the vaporetto.
Old Oct 6th, 2011, 12:50 PM

do not go all the way to Piaxxale Roma, but rather use the parking facilities at Tronchetto.

that is the first set as you come off the causeway. A bit cheaper (not much) and easier to get into. there is a vaporetto stop at the Tronchetto lots.
Old Oct 6th, 2011, 12:50 PM

obviosly Piazzale Roma
Old Oct 6th, 2011, 01:30 PM

I believe that Mestre is much cheaper than parking closer to Venice proper. So if cost is an issue, even with the cost of the train ticket, Mestre is the parking of choice. Park in one of the structures close to the train station and you might consider backing the car against a wall so that no one can try to pop open your trunk.
Old Oct 6th, 2011, 05:45 PM

We always drive the causeway and leave the car a the giant lot at Piazzale Roma. I think about 30 euros per night. And be very sure NOTHING is vislble inside the car. You are then right at the water taxi stop - there are even carts to get your luggage from the garage to the dock - or to the vaporetto stop if o prefer.