Car Parking in or around Venice

Jul 14th, 2008, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Car Parking in or around Venice

Please could anyone give me some advice.
I have read all about the car parking situation and understand that during high season, there are often horrendous tailbacks over the bridge to Venice and that it would be preferable to park on the mainland.
My question is, what counts as high season? I will be going for 2 days on August 2nd. Does anyone have any idea how busy the bridge will be at this time?
My other option is to park at Fusina. I believe there is an hourly ferry over to St Marks's square. However I can't seem to find out if it is necessary to make a reservation on the ferry or not. Again I don't know how busy it will be at this time of year.

Any advice gratefully received.
Jul 14th, 2008, 06:49 AM

Park in Mestre !
Jul 14th, 2008, 06:55 AM

I usually Park in the Tronchetto which is acroos the causeway and on the right. It is a multi storied garage approx 25 euro per day then I take the vaporetto #82 to the town center.
Jul 14th, 2008, 07:08 AM
ira

Hi A,

Park at the train station in Mestre.

Take the train into Venice.

Schedules are at
www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html

Jul 14th, 2008, 09:27 AM

We drove to Venice in late October. It was a zoo. We wasted a lot of time parking the car and paid a lot to be in a safe parking place.

Follow the advice to park on the mainland and train into town, you will save time and money.
Jul 14th, 2008, 05:46 PM

Hi ira...

I am going again to Venice this Sept so I will try the Mestre and see if that is better than the Tronchetto

This will be m 4th trip to France nad Italy and I am so excited you would think that it's my first time. You would think by now I would be bored with it...after all after only 2 visits to Disney I am totally Disneied out !! But I don't seem to ever get Europed out !!! Why is that I wonder..hmm...
Jul 14th, 2008, 07:23 PM

Some of us feel Venice will become
totally Disney-fied in the near
future. Unfortunately.

Parking across from the train station in Mestre is a very simple
solution to the parking problem -
just hop on one of the many trains
that stop there and you're whisked
into Venice in a few moments.
Jul 15th, 2008, 05:02 AM

Another vote for Mestre and the train - it's one stop and they go frequently.
Jul 15th, 2008, 07:17 AM
ira

Hi Ar,

>This will be m 4th trip to France nad Italy and I am so excited you would think that it's my first time. <

You are not alone.

I get the same thrill that I got the 1st time every time I step out of the San Lucia train station.

I have to get back to Paris every 3 years or I get irritable.

Jul 20th, 2008, 08:14 AM

Ira,

I totally understand the Paris "FIX" thing.

Last year I went with a friend and she went home a week before I did because we didn't have enough time in Paris so I stayed an extra week. I rented an apartment and just sort of stayed around my neighborhood so I could feel like I was at home and it worked. I truely felt at home as if I belonged there somehow. Maybe because my mother is all French even though she is American born but I guess I have that French blood coursing thru my veins.
Jul 20th, 2008, 08:27 AM

We parked at Tronchetto in early October and it was smooth. No traffic, easy signs to follow and the ramp was not close to being full.