Venice - Parking at Tronchetto

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2004, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be arriving to Venice by Car and plan to park at the less expensive Tronchetto Garage. What I need to do is to get dropped off at the S. Angelo Vapporetto stop. My guess is that I have to take the 82 vaporetto - change at the train station and get on Vaporetto #1 that will stop at San Angelo??? This seems like the best option with luggage but can anyone advise on how easy or feasible this is?
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

TTT
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 12:25 PM

On the map I have, the #1 <i>and</i> #82 stop at S. Angelo so it would appear you could take the 82 from tronchetto all the way without changing. You could also take the 72 or 3 to the train station and then change to the 1 or 82 but avoiding changes seems easier with luggage.
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 12:30 PM
ira

Hi S,

You can find Vaporetto routes and schedules at http://www.actv.it/eng/home.php.

Old Aug 20th, 2004, 04:10 PM

If you are looking for cheap parking, park in Mestre near the train station and take the 15 minute train ride in to Venice.
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 04:20 PM

In 1999 we parked at the Tronchetto and our hotel offered a discount for the fee. Be sure to ask. They may not offer if you do not request it.

Also....the place is big. No elevators that I can remember. Try to park at the end closest to the vaporetto stop so you will save a lot of walking to get there. Plus you will have the luggage. If you park right at the entrance you will have a hike. Just something to look for.
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice! I tried to look at the schedule that was posted but seemed a little confusing to read. From the way it seems 1 &amp; 82 stop at S. Angelo. Anyone else with knowledge of this please respond! Thanks for all your help - we leave in 4 days!
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 03:51 AM

Despite the fact that my map says the 1 and 82 both stop at S. Angelo, when I look on the actv website and plot a trip between Tronchetto and S Angelo it says you have to change. So I'd assume there's been a change since my map was printed. It appears only the #1 stops at S Angelo.

You can take either the 82 or the <b>DM (a line that doesn't appear on my map) one stop to P Roma and change for the #1 OR I would guess you could change at any stop that services the 1. So instead of changing at P Roma after just one stop, you <i>could</i> stay on the 82 and go as far as S. Toma and then change there for the #1 to go just 1 stop.

Hopefully NYCFoodSnob will see this and have a definitive answer.</b>
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 04:11 AM

In your case I really think it would not only be less expensive, but actually faster and easier for you to park in Mestre. If you did that you'd take the train in (10 minutes, about 1&euro and then could get on the #1 Vaporetto and not have to change. Those vaporetto can get mighty crowded and getting on an off with luggage is a pain. When you add in the time to wait for the second vaporetto, and walking through the Tronchetto from the car, it really does seem simpler to park in Mestre. There are several garages right across the street from the train station, they are about &euro;5 per 24hours and I think the trains run every 15 minutes or such. The drive to the Tronchetto across the bridge from the mainland certainly cancels out the amount of time you'd have on the train. Just a thought.
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

isabel,
Thank you, that does seem like a better alternative. Thank you!
Mary
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

And one last question - anyone know directions on how to get to the Mestre Train Station - I will be coming from Cortona?
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 01:31 PM
ira

Have you looked at www.viamichelin.com or www,mappy.com?
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 03:28 PM

Sinnedgh,

Heading toward Venezia on the #A4 autostrada, you will begin to see road signs for the Tangenziale (this is actually a continuation of the #A4 in the direction of Trieste; however, this section is somewhat of a ring road around Mestre/Venezia amd it is referred to as the Tangenziale.)

Continue east to the Castellana exit. (It is a right hand exit.) Go down the ramp, which will turn in a big circle,counterclockwise under the autostrada. Follow along in the direction of Mestre until you reach Via Pavia on your right. (It is a wide 4 lane street, and is about 1 1/2 miles from the autostrada exit.)

Turn right on Via Pavia, go about 4 blocks and it will deadend at the Mestre Train Station.

Turn left at the deadend and there is a gated, parking lot on your left, about 50 yards down the street. Their rates are very reasonable, and you get to take your keys with you. The lot is lighted, gated, and patrolled around the clock.

The rates are very reasonable as compared to the Tronchetto lot. About 5 Euros a day.

When you enter the lot, you must tell the attendant how many days you will be staying, and he will then tell you where to park your car.

Cross the street to the station, buy a 1 Euro ticket to Venezia Santa Lucia.
You should not have to wait more than 10 or 15 minutes for a train.

When departing Venice, all outbound trains stop at Mestre.
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Thank You Thank You Georgine! You must be from the area! Mary
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 05:28 PM

Sinnedgh,

No I am not from the area, but have used that lot on three visits to Venice.

I have also given these directions to at least a dozen or more people.

Enjoy your holiday!!!