Parking near Venice

Sep 2nd, 2006, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Parking near Venice

I realize that we are strongly discouraged from bring cars to Venice.

After calculating drop fees, etc, a 2 week round trip car rental from Hertz Zurich , leaving it in a garage for 7 days near Venice, is half the cost of a one way rental Zurich-Venice, and renting a car again one way back to Zurich. (we are on a cruise out of Venice for a week)

I know rail is an option, so is flying, however, assuming we want to drive, where would be the best place to park a rental car for 7 days near or in Venice ?

Are there any drawbacks to this (other than cost)? Would it be about 15 euros a day ? Are there cheaper weekly rates ?

Thank you for your help.
Sep 2nd, 2006, 10:03 AM
ira

Hi OK,

Parking at Piazzale Roma in Venice is about 20E/day.

There is another, less expensive, parking area farther away, but I can't remember it at the moment.

Sep 2nd, 2006, 10:07 AM
Neopolitan

There are several long term parking options at the airport with weekly rates ranging from 54 to 75 euro for the week, depending on covered or not or distance from the airport.

Here is a site where you can prebook parking at several lots or garages at Venice or Mestre, ranging from 10 euro a day for the one at Mestre.
http://www.urbislimen.net/eng/index.html

You've learned what we have learned in the past. Sometimes it pays to just let a car sit for a week compared to the one way rental fees. We've done this several times (but not in Venice) when we do a couple month car lease in Europe.

Sep 2nd, 2006, 10:29 AM

We left our car in a secure lot opposite the station in Mestre for 7 days and nights. The cost was €50. We took the bus from there to the Piazzale Roma. Except for getting lost in Mestre after leaving the highway from the wrong exit, there was no drawback for us.
Sep 3rd, 2006, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for reassuring me that this is not unreasonable to do, and suggesting garage options.
Sep 3rd, 2006, 10:56 AM

WE have left our car at the large garage at Piazzale Roma for 4 or 5 nights several times and it has never been a problem and reasonably in expensive.

Also good because you're right near the stop for the water taxi to go to the hotel.

If you have more than a little luggage I would park there temporarily, get the luggage to the hotel - then park somewhere less expensive and further away if you want - rather than parking first and schlepping luggage all over hell and gone.