Area near Rome Termini???

May 28th, 2003, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

Area near Rome Termini???

After having made my reservations at Papa Germano ( recommended by Lonely Planet ..any comments about this place) ..a couple of my friends have cautioned me about the area near the Termini.

Should I change the reservation to some other location based on this information..I see myself returning to the hotel at 9-10 pm and dont want to change that based on this information.

thanks!
May 28th, 2003, 05:17 PM

Some areas around the termini are safe. Exactly where is the hotel?
May 28th, 2003, 06:04 PM

The last time I was in Roma, I stayed on Via G. Amendola, which is one block over from Termini. I walked the streets at 1 AM and had no problems. There are cafes in the area, so many people are around at night. I would go to the cambio in Termini to exchange money and never had any problems. My mother, Linda, and my step-father stayed at the same hotel in September, 2001. They walked around the neighborhood at night, also. She is 63, he is 72. Just watch out for the speeding Vespas as you cross the street. Ciao.
May 29th, 2003, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

HowardR,

Its located on Via Calatafimi, near the roman musem.

Its in the north-north west direction from the Termini.

ThinGorjus, thanks for your reply
May 29th, 2003, 06:00 AM

I've been to Rome about 5 times and have never stayed anyplace but around Termini. I usually travel with a friend (hubby did go once), we're petite women in our 50s . . . OK, we're closer to 60 . . . we've never had a problem or felt unsafe.

Hope this helps,
Sandy
May 29th, 2003, 06:30 AM

I find staying near Termini to be really convenient, but noisy at night. Returning to the room at 9 or 10 at night seems perfectly safe to me. I stayed three blocks away from Papa G. on Via Milazzo twice and 3 blocks east of you on Via Palestro once. No problems! (I'm a female)
May 29th, 2003, 08:08 AM
dln

I've not been to Rome, but my sister(who enjoys staying at the Ritz) has. She said Termini gets a bad rap because compared to the rest of Rome, which is glorious, well, Termini is just a little lackluster. It's not a "ritzy" neighborhood, but that does not make it unsafe or undesireable for your travel needs. My sister said you shouldn't feel uncomfortable there.

May 29th, 2003, 08:26 AM
GAC

I would not change travel plans if you've chosen to stay overnight in the area around Termini for maximum convenience to the airport train and other public transportation, or because it is a single overnight. If this is not the reason, I would choose a better part of town.
May 29th, 2003, 08:32 AM
LJ

Like most of the others, I have stayed in this area and have a fondness for it. It is working class, still largely residential and NOT glamourous or glitzy. But the police have really cracked down on the Romany/Albanian beggars that used to give it such a bad reputation and it has the advantage of having little neighbourhood "untouristy" bars, cafe and enoteca tucked in every corner. Plus a real market, not one produced for the tourists to see. The Opera is also located here as well as the school that trains opera singers so you may just hear an impromptu concert...we have.
May 29th, 2003, 09:20 AM
KT

Another thing about the area near Termini -- the station itself has been seriously revamped in recent years and now has, for example, a good self-service restaurant and a good bookshop that keeps long hours. So it no longer has that rather seedy feeling that old-timers may remember. Also, bear in mind that 9-10 pm is not extremely late in a city where the locals don't dine out before 8.

Anyway, I've stayed in other areas in Rome that are more atmospheric, but I stayed near Termini in 2002 and found it convenient, easy on the budget, and perfectly acceptable.
May 29th, 2003, 09:31 AM

I stayed 2 blocks away from the Termini and had walked quite a bit within and about the Termini without much problems/dangers during my stay in Rome recently.

With regard to beggars/gypsies, I just waved them away and they didn't pursue.

I travelled alone and while there, what I did was giving the area a visual scan for possible "trouble". Other than that, I avoid eye contacts with anyone.

If you're travelling with friend(s), then I think the Termini is relatively safe. If you're a girl like me, you might want to choose somewhere nearer the Termini so you can run back to your accomodation like I did when I was one block away and realised a guy was following & calling me on the opposite street!

In short, take the necessary precautions and enjoy!

May 29th, 2003, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

thanks everyone for your responses. I found them very useful!

Search this Thread