Hotel in Rome near Termini

Old Jun 4th, 2004, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel in Rome near Termini

Are there safe hotel areas around the Rome Termini? Some friends have said not to stay anywhere near the Termini. I've read horror stories about tourists not feeling safe in the Esquilino area (south of the Termini). But I've also heard tales of quiet peaceful areas in the Castro Pretorio area (northeast of the Termini.) Is this generalization accurate?
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 10:56 AM

Since we considered this area on our first visit to Rome, I read a bit about it and, as I recall, the consenus in guidebooks seemed to be that the safer areas are to the north and to the west of Termini.

Although I'd prefer to stay more in the heart of the Centro Storico, I wouldn't agree with the advice to not stay anywhere Termini. If you're on a budget, for example, that might end up being your best bet.
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 11:04 AM

The area northwest of the Termini is perfectly safe and nice. Plenty of restaurants and shops in the area. Just a short walk to the Via Veneto area. It is certainly not as convenient as say being next to the Pantheon but you can still walk to most of the sights. Bus service isn't bad either. If you are on a budget, north and west of Termini is just fine.
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 11:36 AM

Try the Atlantico or its sister hotel next door....very close to Termini and subway at Via Cavour 23. We had a very nice large room for our family with a great buffet breakfast...around $185.00 in 2002.
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 12:02 PM

We stayed at Hotel Aberdeen which I believe is also on Via Cavour--it's about a 10 min walk (tops) to Termini and a good location.
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 06:19 PM

The Mecenate Palace is another fine choice for a hotel near Termini. It is truly a nice 4* hotel, and runs specials of about 180 Euro from time to time. It and is located about 4-5 blocks from Termini on Via Cavour (kitty corner to St. Maria Maggiore basilica). There are other subway stations that one can easily walk to from this area as well, if you want to avoid Termini. However, I never felt unsafe during the day or early evening near Termini station. And the hotel on Via Cavour certainly seemed more than safe at night.

John H
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 07:39 PM

I've read that Hotel Aberdeen is a very nice hotel with caring staff.
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 07:53 PM

I have stayed at Hotel San Giorgio, which is one street over (G. Amendola) from Termini. This is a first-class hotel. My parents have also stayed at this hotel. The area is VERY safe, with many shops and restaurants. I think Termini gets an undeserved bad rep.
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 07:55 PM

Termini is a comercial section of Rome, it is fine but is not the magic Rome you have in mind. Look for a bargain hotel in the historic center and you will better enjoy your trip. I stayed at the Smeraldo and it was fine with a great location. There are many others. Happy hunting.
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 11:25 PM

Avoid Hotel Smeraldo in Rome! We reserved air-conditioned double room. They wrote sure, no problem. . our room was without air-conditioned !!! I told them they had room with a.c. or they had to find us another room/place with a.c....Not to mention the fact we were worried..we were arrived from few minutes and we were tired!..Naturally, they found another room for us.. Obviously, we arranged for th room ( same type of room ) 40 Euros for day and we have paied 180 euro/day!!
Probably they take advantage of the situation because in these cases nobody ever call the police !!
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 12:31 AM

Author: PhilF24
Date: 08/02/2003, 03:26 am
Message: Thank your lucky stars that the Smeraldo didn't reply. You missed the hotel from hell. You could touch both walls of the room standing in the middle, chaotic atmosphere, courtesy of the constant street noise, and staff that seriously needs anger management classes. Terrible, terrible place.
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 03:01 AM

hotel Olympia is one recommeded by Rick Steves. We stayed there in 2000 and it was fine.
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 04:03 AM
rfb

There are some people who would not feel safe inside the jewel vault at the tower of London. The area around Termini is not the most scenic but it's perfectly safe.

We have stayed at the Hotel Canada for years. It is north east of the station at the intersection of via Vicenza and Castro Pretorio. It is owned by the Pucci design family who have maintained the building with great taste and care; it is currently operated by Best Western and offers an exceptional value in Rome. If this hotel were located in any of the trendier spots it would cost AT LEAST double what they charge.

The only drawback is that Italian businessmen are aware of its value, and it is sometimes difficult to get a room.

Old Jun 15th, 2004, 06:00 AM
jay

Try the hotel des Artistes. It is about 5 blocks from termini and has a great rooftop garden. www.hoteldesartistes.com
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 06:23 AM

We're looking at the hotel Lilium near the Termini for one night to just crash and catch up on sleep before taking the train the next morning to Naples.
http://www.liliumhotel.com

It looks decent, but I'll know more after September! I wouldn't pick that area for a longer stay, though.

At the end of our trip, we come back to Rome and are staying at the Del Senato for four nights, next to the Pantheon, and I would recommend that area or near the Spanish steps for a longer stay.
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 06:58 AM

This reminds me of someone coming to the US for the first and only time and staying at a hotel next to Penn Station.

There ARE affordable options in much better areas. Here are a few:
http://www.eurocheapo.com/rome/listings/navona.asp
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 12:51 PM

I was a little concerned about our proximity to Termini when we stayed at the Astoria Gardens Hotel, four blocks north of the station, but this budget hotel was a very nice two star with a great breakfast buffet included in the price. We felt very safe day and night.