France-Germany in 12 days?

May 28th, 2003, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

France-Germany in 12 days?

I've finally convinced hubby to make our next trip a family affair to include our 2 teens. Hubby & son have never been to Germany & I'd love to take them BUT I'm dying to go back to France. Anyone have any brilliant ideas on how this can be accomplished in 12 days? I thought the Romantic Road area would be nice then over to Provence & finish in Paris. Too ambitious? We would rent a car in Germany-how long to drive to say Avignon? Better to drop car off & take TGV? Any help would be appreciated.
May 28th, 2003, 04:55 PM

Why not start in Paris and go to Germany via Rheims, Verdun, Nancy and Strasbourg. Come back dipping south to see some of Burgundy and back up to Paris? I think that going to the Provence might be too far unless you plan some days as being point to point travel rather than doing tourism.
May 28th, 2003, 10:32 PM

I think you are trying to cover too much territory in 12 days. You would enjoy the trip and actually remember some of it if you concentrated on Germany or France...not both. We have spent 12 days each in both countries and never ran out of things to see or do. Yes, you are too ambitious..especially with teens. Half your trip will be watching cars on the autobahn.
May 28th, 2003, 11:56 PM

That is a lot in 12 days, but I think it's doable (is that a word?).

How about flying in to Frankfurt and renting a car. You could then spend some time on the Rhine and Mosel rivers and head south hopping into Alsace/Lorraine/Strasbourg area. Then back up through the Black Forest and Heidelberg. It sounds like a lot, and yes, you'd spend some time driving each day, but we live right in the middle of that area and often do day trips to Luxembourg, Trier or Strasbourg.
May 29th, 2003, 04:30 AM

I think Sardog is on to something. Spend 3 or 4 days seeing the Rhine/Mosel area--you can use a town on the eastern or central Mosel as base.

Then you could head south as suggested, or you could drive to Paris for a couple of days. Tha leaves you 5 or 6 days to wend your way through France back to Frankfurt.
May 29th, 2003, 05:18 AM
MGB

There are several web sites that can help you figure out mileage/kilos and driving times. One is maporama, another is via michelin. The key is not spending a lot of time in the car. Teens depending on age and interests you want to keep active and probably find variety.

You might try flying into Munich, see the city spend a couple nights, then on way up the romantic road stop at Dachau, ending in Rothenburg for a night or two depending on when you get there. Depending on your desire for France, either go to the Rhine or head over to France. You could also fly into Frankfurt and reverse this. Find out what everybody really wants to see (museums, castles, medieval, etc). I am not sure but if you go to Provence from where you say in Germany you may have to go through the Alps which would be beautiful but adds to driving time.

Rick Steves has several trips outlined in his books but usually combines Germany with Austria and Switz to minimize driving distances. He combine France with Belgium and Amsterdam. Happy Planning, Mary Ann
May 29th, 2003, 07:30 AM

I find myself agreeing with sardog and Rufus, mostly; you can do this in 12 days, but it would be wise to limit the ground you're trying to cover. Fly into Frankfurt and out of Paris (or vice versa) if possible, as you seem to be planning.

In Germany. see the Rhine/Mosel Valleys at least; there are lots of choices in this area - major cities like Cologne, tiny wine villages, terrific castles, hiking, river cruises, WW II and Roman history as well, all in an area much closer to Paris than the Romantic Road. 4 days is about right for your trip, but you'll still have to pick and choose what you'll do.

Within Germany, I highly recommend you use the train. Your mileage within Germany will be almost negligible, and fares are very good for groups (2nd-4th persons pay half price; teens up to 14 travel free with parents; 10% off if you book a couple of days in advance.) To get into France and on to Paris from the Mosel Valley, train via Saarbruecken (Get a daypass for your whole family to get from the Mosel to Saarbruecken - less than 30 Euros total.) THEN, get a car for your ramble on to Paris. If you pick up in Forbach (French border station) or maybe in Metz or Strasbourg (depending on where you're going in France) you can avoid the heavy out-of-country drop-off fee you would pay if you had picked up the car in Germany.

I would try to drop off the car on the perimeter of Paris once you arrive there to avoid Paris traffic - Versailles is a good place to drop if you're going to there to see the Palace anyway.

Enjoy your trip.
May 29th, 2003, 08:07 AM

If you fly into Munich you could do 2 nights there, then drive to Fussen, work your way up the romantic rd. to Rothenburg, then go to Strassbourg and work your way to Paris and fly out of there. It would mean alot of driving though. (You might be better to Fly into munich and out of Frankfurt and just go alittle into France.) Strassbourg is 300 miles from Paris. If you keep the driving to not more than 2-3 hours in any day and try to not do too many one nighters you could make it to Paris and not feel like all you did was drive.
May 29th, 2003, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Just wanted to say thanks for the great suggestions - it's a good start for planning our trip.

Search this Thread