Apt location

Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apt location

We are considering this apartment. http://www.vrbo.com/359819 The owner has been very quick to respond and very helpful with any questions. I just want to check with you all.
We are in Rome for 5 nights. I know this location is closer to the Vatican and St. Peter's (which is our primary reason for going to Rome), but my question is do you all think it is too far out from everything else? We don't mind to walk while we are touring, but my sweet mother is 72 ( very fit) and I don't want to overdo if we will be forced to walk blocks and blocks for food, drinks, etc..after a long day of touring. We like moderate priced good food - local food if we can find it.. I think there are restaurants around the neighborhood, but would love any comments on the location.
Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 02:08 PM

I love the location. You are steps away from the Metro and the Tiber, so you can get to all the really touristy spots on foot or using public transportation, but you get to be out of the canned tourist scene. You'll find plenty of nice neighborhood restaurants there, plus great take out food to eat in your apartment. Look up the address of Franchi, one of Rome's best take-out food stores. It is very close to that apartment.

If you get bored with all the restaurants and bars outside your door, you are a 15 minute walk across the river to some very tony places. If you like the apartment, and are willing in invest 20 minutes reading in how to buy a metro ticket and a bus map, you will be sitting pretty there. Despite the nearness of the Vatican, at night you will be in a real Roman neighborhood.
Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

220volt...thank you so much for your reassurance! We are willing to travel some to have a nice neighborhood. We want to be able to get to everything but still feel like we have been in the "real" Rome. thanks again.
Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 04:24 PM

willowjane,
Here are a couple of sites to familiarize yourself with the buses in Rome. Sure, you will do a lot of walking but it is nice to be familiar with which routes go where so if you are tired you can always catch a bus back to your apt. We used the bus more on this last trip than we did our first trip to Rome and I wish I had familiarized myself with the routes before our first trip also.

http://www.atac.roma.it/index.asp?p=2

http://www.passagetoroma.com/index.php/bus-routes
Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the links. I will give that "job" to my husband. We are so looking forward to this trip in June!
Old Sep 4th, 2012, 02:37 PM

Each person would need 2 bus tickets (from apt to historic area and later historic area to apt) @ 1.50e so 9e for the 3 of you.

In the past I have used the buses many many times even on short trips to save my sore legs and many times I had a hard time herding just myself onto and esp off crowded buses.

A 'We' plus a 72yr old mom is even harder to herd.
Plus often it's standing room only and you have to *hang-on* while the bus is moving and esp braking.

You can very likely do those R/T's for 20e total by taxi.

There definitely should be a taxi stand at the Piazza d. Risorgimente which looks to be 2-3 blocks from your apt.
And on the return you get dropped-off right at the apt. Regards, Walter
Old Sep 4th, 2012, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for the information about the buses and the taxi stand in the area.
Old Sep 6th, 2012, 09:34 AM

You may want to plan your days so that you take a bus or train to the furthest point to start.
Then work your way back, stopping for lunch.
If your mother gets too tired, stop at a cafe for a pastry and drink, sit and people watch.
I found lots of quiet places to stop and sit when I needed to even if it was just at a fountain in a piazza.
Try and make your way back to the apt so your mom can rest in the late afternoon, put her feet up, take a nap or plan your route prior to going out to dinner.
Take care of your feet. Wash them every night and put vaseline or moisturizer and socks on over night. They'll be silky soft and ready to go again in the morning.
Change your shoes between day and night to give your feet a rest and shoes a chance to air out.
Rome is wonderful, take your time, enjoy the people, sights and sounds!