Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Vicolla della campanella - is this a good area to stay in Rome?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am down to three choices for our late Oct. stay in Rome and am finding it hard to choose.
The first is an apartment on Vicolla della Campanella, a small street to northwest of Piazza Navona - a few blocks from the river. From studying Franco's long thread about neighborhoods, it sounds like it would be quiet and nice. I am wondering about access to transportation and restaurants though? Is it too remote?

The other two options are :
An apartment on Via Sora, near Via del Governo Vecchio - which I gather is also a very nice area.

An apartment on Tor di Nona (between via dei coronarie and Lungotavera Tor di Nona) - I am concerned this might be too close to the busy Lungotavera, and thus noisy. But it would have good access to buses - and thus good transportation.

Should I just pick the one I like, or is there something I should be concerned about with regard to these three locations. Thanks for you input.
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 11:05 AM

Is it Vicolo della Campanella or della Campana? Campanella is more or less due west of Piazza Navona, Campana more or less due north. If it's the latter, there are a number of bus routes at the corner on Via Monte Brianzo and the ones on the Lungotevere are easy to get to. The Vicolo della Campana is quiet, and there are many restaurants within walking distance.

Is the Via Sora apartment from Sleep in Italy? If so, I've seen reports that it's above or next to a restaurant and not very quiet.
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 11:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
"Too remote"? No. Although Rome is big, the main tourist sights are all within a reasonable distance, and these three apartments are very close to one another. Some people here use the bus system, but we prefer to walk and see the various neighborhoods at a slow pace. We occasionally use the metro at either the beginning or end of the day, and FYI none of these apartments is near a metro stop. But that shouldn't deter you.

If the Tor di Nona apartment has a view of the river, that might be very nice, but I think the trade-off could be traffic noise.
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 11:21 AM
sjj

All three are OK in terms of location. They're close to Piazza Navona and the Pantheon, and not that far from many other tourist attractions. There are plenty of good restaurants nearby, and if you're worried about transportation, go to the Rome bus URL and work out bus routes using their online trip planner. Can't help you about noise.
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help.
Zerlina - yes, the Sora apartment is from Sleep in Italy. I have looked all over for reports on it - but found nothing other than 3 on Trip Advisor that are fairly positive. Nothing said about a restaurant - so that is concerning. Do you think those comments were here on Fodors?

The other one is on Vicolo della Campanella - and I guess that is really due west. Glad to hear about restaurants in the area. I am leaning toward this one.

Jean - I don't think the Tor di Nona apt. has a view. It says "ground floor" and the pictures make me think it actually might be what we call "garden level" in the states, meaning actually below street level with high windows. Which is OK - but no view.
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks sjj

I will try to find the bus route map.
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 12:04 PM

The report about the Via Sora apartment from Sleep in Italy was in the TA Rome forum:
http://rome-hotels.tripadvisor.com/S...ome_Lazio.html
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks SO much Zerlina. I hadn't gone far enough back - in terms of the date of the post - when I searched the TA site.

Have you heard anything about a Sleep in Italy apt. on Governo Vecchio? I just stumbled across it - looks like a good location.
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 01:38 PM

You might look if there are any reviews at www.slowtrav.com; you can sort by agency or apartment name.

If quiet is important, I have read only positive reports about Giulia Gold. It's in the Campo dei Fiori rather than the Piazza Navona area, but it's not in the hurly-burly of the Campo itself.
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

Yes - I looked at slowtrav. I will check out Giulia Gold.
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 01:33 PM

just saw your post, stayed at VICOLO DELLA CAMPANELLA 6 a couple of years ago, it was perfect both for location and for transit. only one block from major bus loop at via acciaioli and corso vittorio emanuele ll.

the best experience is the little family restaurant Da Alfredo e Ada
Via dei Banchi Nuovi, 14 right around the corner. very inexpensive, and Ada is the grandma you never had.