Rome Apartment - please give opinion on location

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21st, 2012, 05:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome Apartment - please give opinion on location

http://www.housetrip.com/en/rentals/...ate=2013-07-10

Staying with extended family in Rome next July
Found this apartment which works from a size point of view but having never visited, is it a practical location, please???
Need somewhere a bit residential and quiet as am a light sleeper, an area with shops/restaurants would be practical since some of our party have little ones and will not spend all their time sight seeing with us but just hanging at apartment or browsing shops/cafes.

THANKS!
Old Oct 21st, 2012, 05:14 PM

Looks nice, roomy, clean and modern. But the location is a bit far from the central, where all the main attractions are. But since you're looking for a quieter area, it might just work for you. but you have to take bus to go to places, museums, etc. if you stay in the central area, you can pratically walk to Pantheon, Trevi fountain, Spanish Steps, etc, which I usually prefer, because I like to go out till late at night or even past midnight, or go out at dawn. Nothing beats looking at ancient monuments or walking on the cobblestones in the eerily quiet hours in Rome

Also try google street view to see if the area has shops or restaurants around.
Old Oct 21st, 2012, 05:53 PM

The apartment is nice and very large.However is a little far from the center historico..
Of course you can always take the bus or the metro.

But nothing beat the fun of walking around the city center at night while eating a good gelato.

On the plus side is not too far from the Ostiense station and you will be able to take the open metro(small train) to Ostia,the beach near Rome.
Old Oct 21st, 2012, 08:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Too far out, in my opinion, and I am not a fan of being smack-dab in the very center.
Old Oct 21st, 2012, 10:00 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
It's not walking distance and you will have to use transport. I wouldn't want to stay that far out, but you do have the Piramide metro stop nearby at Ostiense along with a couple of bus connections. That metro line goes to the Colosseum and Termini. I think the #3 tram runs from there to Trastevere train station where you can switch to the #8 tram to the center (Largo Argentina). Here's the tram map.
http://www.atac.roma.it/files/doc.asp?r=5
Old Oct 22nd, 2012, 02:22 AM

On the plus side, Perilli in nearby Via Marmorata is a very good and inexpensive restaurant.

With a large group, taxis could be a sensible choice at times, and there does appear to be plenty of public transport. You did not say how large your group is, but how many flats are available that sleep 12? Also it looks nice.
Old Oct 22nd, 2012, 02:32 AM

regarding being a light sleeper. I am in a very noisy location in Rome near Campo Dei Fiori, I purchased the White Noise app. I selected " brown noise" from the choices and let that run all night on the iPad with the IPad plugged in. Worked like a charm- Slept perfectly! Best two dollars I ever spent!

It would also run on on iPhone and maybe other android phones.
Old Oct 22nd, 2012, 02:37 AM

Here is a link:

http://www.tmsoft.com/iphone-whitenoise.html
Old Oct 23rd, 2012, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks -- great app -- will put on the kids' Ipod Touch too!