Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Daughter trying to select apartment for Semester Abroad in Rome

Mar 14th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

My daughter is doing a fall semester in Rome and has to find her own housing. She will be sharing with 3 or 4 other students and has started to e-mail apt. owners. She identified a place in Trastevere on Piazza Ippolita Nievo and another apartment about 3 or 4 blocks north of the Vatican. Does anyone have any insights on these neighborhoods? Each is about the same distance from where her classes will be held, and she likes the Vatican apt a little better. By the way, she is a Landscape Architecture major.
Mar 14th, 2008, 05:53 PM

Neither of these would be a very good location for a tourist, but of course it might be different if you were going to be there for a whole semester. However, are they really the same distance to her classes? They are nowhere near each other, in fact quite a ways from each other. If I absolutely had to choose one of these, I would probably go with the Trastevere one, but I'd want to check out bus connections from there (there's no metro nearby).
Mar 14th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

Susan, my daughter used google maps to assess the distance and they appear to be close to equal. Her classes will be held in Piazza del Collegio. I don't think she can afford tourist area prices and I did think that a lot of college students stayed in Trastevere so I think that is the better neighborhood as well.
Mar 14th, 2008, 06:30 PM
J62

Trastevere would seem to be easier to reach classes, but I didn't rigorously cross check schedules.

An apartment with a nearby bus or tram that takes her directly to Piazza Venezia or Largo Argentina would work. She could walk from either of those 2 main tranisit hubs areas to class in <10min.
Mar 14th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

A little more info: the apartment near the Vatican is on Via Candia. Thanks for the lead on what to look for in public transit, J62.
Mar 14th, 2008, 07:14 PM

From Piazza Ippolito Nievo, she can take the No. 8 tram (goes every 5 minutes) to Largo Argentina.

From Via Candia, she can take the No. 492 bus (goes every 14 minutes) to Largo Argentina (Via delle Botteghe Oscure) or Piazza Venezia.

The tram would be faster, since the bus goes through much of the historic center and stops frequently.

Both addresses are in good residential neighborhoods. There probably are more students in Trastevere. The Via Candia address may be a bit quieter.
Mar 14th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Zerlina. It looks like the Vatican apt. is about 3 blocks directly behind the Vatican gardens. From google maps it looks as though the Ippolita Nievo apt might be in a slightly industrial section, but of course it is really hard to tell. So it is residential? And is it on the edges of the Trastevere neighborhood? Thanks so much for all information; this is a little nerve-wracking.
Mar 14th, 2008, 07:41 PM

Piazza Ippolito Nievo is not in an industrial area; what you are seeing on Google maps are the tops of large apartment buildings. It's not in the old, picturesque part of Trastevere, but it's still very much Trastevere.

Via Candia is, as I said, probably quieter and a little more upscale.
Mar 15th, 2008, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Zerlina. DD wrote to 2 agencies last night, Flats in Rome & Roma Rentals, and let them know her requirements. She decided that Sleep in Italy had apts. that were generally too expensive for her. I think she is trying to keep the budget at $2,500 euros or less. She is leaning towards the Vatican apartment right now, but Flats in Rome replied and told her about a newly renovated apartment that appears to be right in an area that google identifies as Spienza Univ, and near to Termini Station. Thanks for the help.
Mar 15th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

topping
Mar 15th, 2008, 03:51 PM

hi Suki; try vbro.com You may find something closer and within your price range. Iris
Mar 15th, 2008, 04:47 PM

The area between Termini and La Sapienza is one I've never been in. It's reported to be a fairly gritty neighborhood.
Mar 15th, 2008, 05:06 PM

I can't speak directly of Rome but I have moved to Europe three times, including a six month student trip to Paris. I don't think that there is any way to select a budget apartment over the internet. You are picking a cat in a sack.

I suggest that she go a couple of weeks before school starts and look for a place to live. Location is only one factor, and not the most important. Finding clean, pleasant, plumbed, reasonably priced, and comfortable digs in European cities is a real chore. Do it with shoe leather.

See if there is an American Women's Club in Rome and call the local leader to get started.

Mar 16th, 2008, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

Good advice, hopscotch, but a cat in a sack I'm afraid is what it will have to be. She cannot go prior to classes starting for a variety of reasons.

Zerlina, a fairly gritty neighborhood does not sound good to a young woman's Mom. I will report same to her. Thanks.
Mar 17th, 2008, 02:38 AM

Guidebook writers tips: Piazza Ippolito Nievo is smack dab in the middle of the flea market-Porta Portese- every Sunday...there are people sleeping on the street the night before, and it gets very dirty.
Via Candia is much better for living, inexpensive shops and great market . There is no contest. See the article on Porta Portese on www.elegantetruria.com
Mar 17th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

etruria, very good information. Thank you.

Roma Rentals has offered her another apartment in Trastvere much closer to the river and in what they described as the "heart of Trastevere." I can't remember the street right now, but she is looking at that one as well as the Vatican apt. Thanks for the info, everyone.
Mar 17th, 2008, 01:12 PM

Having kids who studied abroad in Torino Italy and in Sicily, I understand your concern. However, as someone who flys to Rome several times a month for the airline I would recommend the Trastevere area for being a student. The area houses the John Cabot University along with others and it is filled with college students. The grocery store Standa above Oviesse dept. store is filled daily with them shopping for their goods and the restaurants and alleyways are filled everynight with the students out eating and drinking.

The Vatican in my opinion would be the last place that I would want to be as a college student.Classes and socializing would be a pain to do!

There area quite a few areas around the Termini area that are not seedy and rather nice although I would choose Trastevere first. As others have said, transportation to and from Trastevere is so easy with the trams from Largo Argentina across the river. She will love living in Rome and will definitely be changed when she gets back home. Start planning your trip now to visit her!
Mar 17th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your comments, dutyfree. I think that she and her friends have decided on a 2 Br, 2 bath place offered by Roma Rentals on via San Francesco a Ripa just off of Viale di Trastevere. It looks as though it is a short way from Ponte Garabaldi. I hope this one works out since it looks like a good location and 2 bathrooms will be nice!