Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Any suggestions for nice little cafe for breakfast in 6th?

Any suggestions for nice little cafe for breakfast in 6th?

Aug 28th, 2003, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

Any suggestions for nice little cafe for breakfast in 6th?

We'll be staying in Blvd. St. Michel-Blvd St. Germaine area. Any specifics for inexpensive breakfast cafes near here?
Aug 28th, 2003, 08:11 PM

On the corner of Rue Buci and across from Blvd De Seine is a Bakery called Paul and it is very good and offfers all kinds of breakfasts including American Style with eggs and the traditional continenatl. I love it , but there are litterally 25 nice cafes in that area
Aug 29th, 2003, 04:39 AM

Our absolute favorite cafe in the area is the Cafe Bonaparte on the Place de Iglise de St. Germaine des Pres, behind Deux Magots and facing the church. Wonderful coffee, croissants and freshly squeezed OJ. And the very best people watching - we enjoyed watching everyone scurrying off to work or school while we took delight in our leisure.
Aug 29th, 2003, 05:13 AM

I am sorry I don't remember the name, but there is a small cafe on the corner of rue Jacob and rue Sts-Peres. We usually have a bite there when we arrive in Paris because it is so early.
There is Cafe de Cluny, on the corner of Blvds St-Michel & St-Germain.
Have a lovely time!

Aug 29th, 2003, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great suggestions! They're getting printed and taken along.

Scarlett - is the Cafe Cluny part of the Cluny Square Hotel? That's where we're staying! Nice to know so many nice choices nearbly.
Aug 29th, 2003, 05:54 AM

Hagan, it is on the corner of the bloulevards at 102 Blvd St-Germain. You can sit and people watch.
Your hotel is # 21 which is down the block from the corner of the two Blvds. Just a short walk though .
Aug 29th, 2003, 07:41 AM

How inexpensive do you want? Although Paul is my favorite place, we also discovered three different chains of really cheap places -- basically what look like fast food places featuring croissants. My favorite of these was called Le Croissanterie or something like that -- just west of Rue de Seine on St. Germain. The first morning I got a grand cafe creme and a pain au chocolate, my partner got a large orange juice (albeit canned Minute Maid) and a pain au chocolate. The girl started adding it up, then stopped and said, "Ah, formula" realizing that they have a special of large coffee drink, large juice, and choice of two pastries for something like 3.20 euro. And I hate to admit this, but their pain au chocolates and croissants were every bit as good as Paul's.
Aug 29th, 2003, 12:03 PM

Nothing to be ashamed of, Patrick!

Paul is a huge chain with mass produced dough as well - they even have locations in the food courts at Schiphol airport (Amsterdam)!!

Hagan, another classic is the Cafe de Flore on the boulevard St. Germain right next to 2 Magots. The specialty is a hard-boiled egg... but they have good (if expensive) pastries as well. Upstairs has less tourists.

Hope this helps,
Andre

Andre
Aug 29th, 2003, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

These are terrific suggestions - thanks to all!!
Aug 29th, 2003, 01:18 PM

Someone asked almost an identical question just a few weeks ago, as I recall, if you want to look.

I used to like Cafe Cluny very much, also, but I thought it closed a couple years ago for good and was now a fast-food pizza chain restaurant and Golden Brioche outlet or something. There are several reasonably priced cafes in Sorbonne place.
Aug 29th, 2003, 01:42 PM

Cafe de Flore - might not be totally inexpensive, but GREAT people watching.

Also - for super cheap - grab a pastry or demi-baguette at Carton (bakery on rue de Buci) and take a walk down to Lux. Gardens.

Search this Thread