Train Travel

Aug 20th, 2003, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

Train Travel

I will be traveling from Munster, France to Lauterbrunnen via Basel. Can I buy single ticket to go all the way or must I buy a separate ticket to travel from Munster to Basel and then another from Basel to Lauterbrunnen?

Similar question re Lauternbrunnen (after several days) to Zurich via Luzern, if I want to stop in Luzern for a day of sightseeing, before moving on to Zurich on the same day?

Does anyone know if there is a place to check your luggage in the Luzern train station for the day?

John
Aug 20th, 2003, 05:52 PM

Usually you can by one ticket to cover the whole journey, albeit in multiple parts to cover the whole journey.

If I read the schedule correctly you need to take a bus part of the way and change several times en route. I think you have at least 3 changes -- Colmar, Basel, and Interlaken Ost. Make sure you stay on the train until you reach to Interlaken Ost! That is where you change to the Berner Oberlandbahn train. And, at Interlaken Ost, make sure you get on a car marked Lauterbrunnen. There is a very good reason for that: The train divides at Zweilütschinen. Some of it goes to Grindelwald and the remainder goes to Lauterbrunnen. The cars are marked with hang tags on the outside.

I don't know answer to the luggage question.
Aug 21st, 2003, 04:31 AM

Hi virginiagentleman,

If there aren't lockers at the Luzern train station, there will be a facility to check your bag for the day. There's a map of the station at

http://www.rail.ch/pv/files/plaene/

Just select "Luzern" from the drop-down menu. I can't find the legend, but there looks like luggage services are next to the ticket agents at the front of the station.

Another option would be to check your bag(s) from Lauterbrunnen to Zurich for a fee of about 10 chf. You'll need to show your train ticket through to Zurich when you do this. This way, you won't have to mess with them at all in Luzern! The bag(s) will be waiting for you when you arrive in Zurich.

Good luck!

s
Aug 29th, 2003, 01:33 PM

Checking you luggage to Zurich is a very good idea as a big locker in Lucerne will be almost as expensive. You'll only have to make sure to be in Zurich in time to pick up your luggage (i.e. before 10.50 pm, according to www.rail.ch). However, it is recommended to check your luggage the evening before you leave.

As regards your tickets, it might be difficult to get the ticket to Lauterbrunnen. The domestic ticket certainly won't be a problem, but do mention that you plan a stop over if it's overnight (terms in this respect have changed recently, but I don't know them).
Aug 29th, 2003, 01:49 PM

Interlaken has TWO train stations so be mindful of that. Make sure you get the right one!

Search this Thread