Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Any ideas for Amalfi Coast sightseeing by car next week?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2010, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to spend three nights in Positano and want to hear from seasoned Fodorites who might have recommendations for what to see on the Amalfi Coast at this time of year. I have been to Capri and disliked it; too commercial and touristy. I have been to Paestum and LOVED it. I'd love suggestions from those who have experienced the Amalfi Coast.
Old Feb 15th, 2010, 03:06 PM

We loved Positano but it is very touristy and yes maybe commercial as well but the views and ambiance make up for it. We took the boat to Amalfi and found it to be delightful with more locals rather than tourists. We also prefered the little shops and markets. We took the bus back to Positano and although the trip was terrifying were very glad we did. Lucky you - you will love the Amalfi coast.
Old Feb 15th, 2010, 03:43 PM

Hi,

I do not think that it will be too touristy if you are going next week. Look around Amalfi, go to Ravello, enjoy Positano, eat, drink and have fun. There are many trails to enjoy that take you higher up the hillside. If it is a sunny day pack a light lunch and find a great view to sit and stare.

Have a great trip,
Yipper
Old Feb 15th, 2010, 04:29 PM

Try one of the excellent restaurants in Montepertuso, a small mountain village about 15 minutes by car from Positano. The view is wonderful, and so is the food! Its been a few years since our last visit, but we enjoyed IL RITROVO and DONNA ROSA. There are others too, I think...

Also, there are some excellent hiking trails around Amalfi which got mentioned here on Fodors a few years ago. I think the poster's name was something like "Walkabout".

If you have time, and in three days you may not, I'd highly recommend the boat ride from Positano to Sorrento. It takes about 45 minutes each way, and offers great views of the coast. You could go in time for lunch in the old town of Sorrento, then explore for a bit and come back. Sorrento of course is not on the Amalfi Coast, but is well worth seeing for half a day or so.
Old Feb 15th, 2010, 04:30 PM

Just realized of course that you're going NEXT week (!) and not in the summer, so make sure you check schedules before you make plans. Winter schedules differ radically from the summer ones, and you don't want to get stuck!
Old Feb 15th, 2010, 05:40 PM

Pompeii is the obvious choice for a day. But agree that you need to check off-season opening hours - and also which restaurants may be open or shut. Seeing the coast from the water is IMHO one of the best sights - but I'm not sure the ferries run in FEb.
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 12:37 AM

Hi Chocobon - You will find the Amalfi Coast villages - Positano, Amalfi, Ravello ... - relatively quiet at this time of year. For great views, drive up from Positano to Nocelle - the start of the 'Path of the Gods' hike.

Ferries won't be an option at this time of year, but driving won't be a problem. Your choice of restaurants may be limited, but you won't starve

If you want to go beyond the Amalfi Coast, Pompei, Ercolano and Vesuvius are options, of course. Others include Sorrento, Naples, Caserta, Cassino ...

Hope this helps ...

Steve

'Path of the Gods' views
http://tinyurl.com/3coedn
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 03:22 AM

I second or third Ravello - a fantastic spot with great views.
Old Feb 20th, 2010, 01:16 AM

Hi: Do get in touch with "Walking With The Gods.com" in Positano.
Francesco will give you an itinerary that is very different and non-touristy and will guide you if you wish.
Old Feb 20th, 2010, 02:49 AM

hamptons is hitting the travel forums this morning, reviving old threads to hype Francesco Carpegna. He's also doing it at TripAdvisor.