Amalfi Coast

Feb 24th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Amalfi Coast

Hello. I can't seem to find a recent guidebook with in depth info on the Amalfi coast area. We are spending the last week of May renting a villa in Furore, near Amalfi. Any suggestions for a good guidebook (we aren't planning to visit Naples) And if you know the area well, any suggestions for must sees, must dos, and must eats? We are looking to relax and let it all sink in. Good food is a must.
Feb 24th, 2007, 04:07 PM

I am looking for the same thing! Just bookmarking this for feedback
Feb 24th, 2007, 05:16 PM

Fodor's may kill me for saying so, but I think the Frommer's guides are generally more user-friendly. Pick up the 2007 guide to Italy. You should find tons of information on points of interest, hotels, and restaurants.

Take the bus from Amalfi to Ravello. During the summer, there are nightime music festivals in town. There are also beautiful gardens to visit at Villa Cimbrone.

Near Amalfi, there's a pretty good beach in the town of Atrani.

Of course you'll also want to visit Positano, which you can get to either by boat or SITA bus. I'd recommend taking the boat from Amalfi. It makes the trip much more pleasant!

In Positano, I highly recommend stopping for lunch at HOTEL POSEIDON, which has exquisite views from its restaurant terrace and unbelievable food.

But if you want to go farther afield, try one of the amazing restaurants in Montepertuso, which can be reached in about 15 minutes by taxi. DONNA ROSA and IL RITROVO, are two of the restaurants that I'd highly recommend.

If you go to either of these for lunch, you can either get a cab back down to Positano, or hike back down along a footpath in back of the local church in the main square!

I'd also recommend a day trip to Capri with Salvatore, whose company is located down at the town dock in Positano.

And/or you can take a boat from Amalfi to Sorrento, which is a very pleasant city to explore. Sorrento is a lot flatter than many of the Amalfi Coast towns, so its easier to walk there, and it has a very interesting old town with lots of shops selling everything from olive oil to made-to-order sandals.

In Sorrento, we really liked LUNA ( or was it LUNA DUE?) a small pizzeria that had really good thin-crust pies, as well as excellent antipasti and salads.
It's located in the old town.

From Sorrento, if you're interested, there's a local train to Pompeii. It takes only 30 minutes to get there.

I think all of the above should more than fill up your week! Have fun!

Feb 26th, 2007, 06:15 AM

If you are a foodie, I suggest Quattro Passi in the hills above Nerano. It's a bit of a haul, but you won't regret it.
Feb 26th, 2007, 09:01 AM

One thing I regret missing is (are?) the Greek temples at Paestum. There's a lot to see around the Amalfi Coast. Don't let it interfere with your relaxation!
Feb 26th, 2007, 09:56 AM

Another vote for Quattro Passi! Wonderful food!