Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Sorrento, Ravello, Amalfi, or Positano as a Base??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 07:09 AM
Stephanie

We'll be travelling to the Amalfi Coast for a week in June and were wondering which town would be best as a base? Also, any suggestions on where to stay in Sicily? Thanks!!

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 09:16 AM
Vincenzo

As you say that you will be travelling and it means you have car, I'd suggest Amalfi so that you can have easy daily trips by car and also by hydrofoil.<BR>Have a nice trip.

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 10:03 AM
Weadles

Stephanie,<BR><BR>We went to the Amalfi Coast two summers ago, and based ourselves in Positano, which worked out very well. It's easy to take SITA buses up and down the coast in either direction, or hydrofoil to Capri from there. Also

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 10:07 AM
Wendy

Stephanie,<BR><BR>Sorry for the half-reply! Hit the wrong button. Anyway, Positano worked well for us, and was the most picturesque of the towns we visited. From there, you can take easy day trips to Amalfi, Ravello, Pompeii, Sorrento, and, by hyrdrofoil, Capri. One word of warning: It can be extremely crowded in the summer months, but that, I believe, is true of the entire area. Another place to consider is Sorrento, which offers a much wider range of hotels, restaurants, shops, and nightlife. We only visited there for a day, but plan to go back for a week this July. Have a great time!

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 04:23 PM
Lorraine

Positano has to be the most picturesque spot along the Amalfi Coast. Great little ceramic shops, very quaint. I was there in April 2002 and just loved it. I plan on going to Sicily soon and heard Taromina is the &quot;Place to Stay.&quot;

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 04:44 PM
Val

It depends on what sites you want to see and if renting a car? You might spend a couple nights in Sorrento to see Pompeii and Naples. I'd spend 3 nights at least in Positano. You can easily take a boat to Amalfi and from there bus to Ravello.

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 04:57 PM
maria

As far as the Amalfi coast goes, I stayed in Ravello - but it is quite quiet. Although, you cannot beat the views. If I went back again, I might stay in Positano, but make sure you go up to Ravello.<BR><BR>As far as Sicily goes, it depends on where you are going in Sicily. If you are going to Taormina and money is no object, then stay at the San Domenico Palace. You won't find better than that.