1st visit to Amalfi Coast

Nov 19th, 2003, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

1st visit to Amalfi Coast

Any suggestions in seeing Amalfi Coast: stay in Naples and do day trips or spend 1 night each in Sorrento, Amalfi, and Positano?
Nov 19th, 2003, 03:20 PM

Seems to be highly dependent on personal preferences, when it comes to the Amalfi Coast. But I'd stay 3 nights in Sorrento and take a day trip south (Amalfi, Positano and Ravello), a trip to Capri, and a day just for Sorrento. And don't forget Pompeii.
Nov 19th, 2003, 04:25 PM

By all means, don't miss Ravello. I would recommend a two night stay. Positano and Sorrento are also worth at least a one or two night stay. I would avoid Naples: crime, dirty, absolutely horrible traffic.
Nov 19th, 2003, 07:48 PM

We stayed in Positano and Sorrento and drove to Pompei, Ravello, Montepertuso, Amalfi..etc..and ferry to Capri. If we come back, we would definitely stay in Positano again and drive up to Montepertuso, gorgeous views, quaint village with family sitting around, kids playing...Sorrento was beautiful also, especially if you stay up the hill. However, Positano was absolutely incredible!! We feel in love with Positano, you could say it's magical!
Ravello was nice but the roads were tiny, winding...I would skip it if you don't have enough time. Make sure you walk down the little fishing village in Sorrento.
Nov 20th, 2003, 03:33 AM
ira

Hi tom

"None of the above".

It takes about 1 1/2 hr to get to Sorrento from Naples on the commuter train, Circumvesuviana. From there, you have to take the SITA bus to the towns.

The Amalfi Coast is only 60 miles long. There is no need to change hotels every day. Find a town to stay in and travel the Coast from there.

We stayed at the Le Sirene Hotel in Praiano, about 7 km east of Positano. http://www.lesirene.com/
Nov 20th, 2003, 06:03 AM

We stayed at the Hotel Bellevue Serene in Sorrento last fall and it was a perfect location for travelling all ovver the Amalfi coast and to Capri. It was easy walking distance into the center of town to eat and stroll around at night and it was walking distance to the dock for the boat to Capri although, the walk up the hill on the way back is a killer.
Nov 20th, 2003, 07:36 AM

Must agree with buongiorno, superb hotel. Area has easy access to most places. I only visited Naples to go to the National museum (brilliant). There is a bus up the hill from the Capri dock and I would take it as the walk is steep and kinda hairy with the Italian drivers! If you get the chance go down to Paestum, long day but if you are into museums and historical sites you will love it.
Good luck.
Nov 20th, 2003, 07:50 AM

I agree totally with staying in one town, and then riding the public buses up & down the coastline to visit all the other villages. We stayed in Sorrento, which was wonderful, but I would also consider Positano because of its charm. One advantage of Sorrento is that if you go in a high-season, you are the first people on the bus that goes down the coastline, so you are more likely to get a seat!
I also recommend that if you go to Capri, take the long hike up to the town of Anacapri at the peak of this "mountain " island (or take a cab or bus). The views are great, I feel the town up there is nicer than Capri, and the Limoncello liquer was cheaper up there than Capri!
Nov 20th, 2003, 08:22 AM

I agree that Hotel Bellevue Syrene is a great place to stay. The room we had was bi-level with the bed in a loft. The view of the Bay of Naples and Vesuvius was unforgetable. We also liked Anacapri better than Capri. Capri is very crowded, quite touristy. We experienced more of the local culture at Anacapri.
Nov 20th, 2003, 10:27 AM

I just did a trip to this area in October. We stayed in Sorrento, it worked out perfectly. See website www.hotelgrandflora.com, this is where we stayed. Great prices on ryanair.com 120 euro per night for a triple. The advantage to Sorrento is you have a train station, bus terminal and hydrfoils and ferries to the islands of Capri and Ischia right there. Look for the express trains, called 'directisimo' in Italy to travel to Pompeii and Herculeam, and to and from Naples. Naples is a pit, there's really no reason to spend any time there, except for the museum. Hire the guide at Pompeii, it is more than worth it, as there is no signage there and to know what you are looking at you will have to be glued to the tour book instead of looking at the sights!
Sorrento is very nice and safe, many restaurants to choose from and a lot of english speaking people. Just stay within walking distance of the train station (which is also where you catch the bus to Amalfi) to avoid the heavy traffic. Take the bus to and from Amalfi in the daylight, if you come back in the dark it's just a long bus ride with no view! Enjoy this magical place!
Nov 21st, 2003, 01:12 AM

I would stay in Amalfi,the perfect base for exploring the whole Amalfi Coast with superb transportation links.Make sure you take a trip to stunning Ravello.
Nov 21st, 2003, 05:53 AM

I'm not a fan of one night stays unless they're unavoidable. I'd recommend basing in one town on the coast, depending on your personal preference ( Sorrento=medium sized city with good transportation connections to other towns on the coast; Positano=charming clifftown with a zillion steps back and forth, touristy, but unforgettable views and food; Ravello=beautiful inland town, very quiet and IMO, too far from everything else).

I would also plan on two nights in Capri, so that you can savor its real beauty after the daytrippers have gone.

Good luck with your plans!