Reload this Page >

Single: What is the best town to base on Amalfi Coast

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 07:48 AM
mark

I will be traveling solo along the Amalfi coast in the fall for 8 days. Should I break in up and stay in a few towns, or stay in one place?<BR>Perhaps Sorrento for two days (do the sights) then, Positano for the remainder?<BR><BR>Any help, suggestions? Thank you!

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 08:26 AM
GAC

Strictly for logistical and public transporation purposes, I would split the vacation 4 days in each of Sorrento and Amalfi. These have the best transportation options. I think that 8 days would be too much in either town.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 08:50 AM
markiemark

thanks. And you think Amalfi would be best for a single person?

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 09:20 AM
GAC

Amalfi is a perfectly good place for a single person: in fact, you can find much cheaper accommodations there than in Positano, where double rooms are the norm (Positano is more of a couples' destination). Amalfi is also a much better base camp to visit the eastern half of the Amalfi Coast, and to go up the hill to Ravello and Scala. You can always see Positano as an extremely easy day trip from either Amalfi or Sorrento. Amalfi also has good bus and boat connections to Salerno, and good bus connections to Napoli. If you really prefer to stay in a trendy place, Positano would be a more logical choice.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 07:10 PM
Janet

I am having a similar problem -- have you made arrangements yet? I thought I had a reservation in Positano at Pensione Maria-Luisa but was just informed that, since I am traveling alone, I may NOT have the room! I was being charged for a double room and agreed to pay that price and yet they say NOW after numerous telephone and fax communications, that they can't reserve a double for a single person. Have you had any similar experiences?<BR>I will be in the area from Sept. 10 through the 17th. Thank you and good luck!

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 05:01 AM
laurel

Janet- I am also a single female who was lucky enough to find acommondations both in Positano and Ravello last September in a double room for single use. I am returning this year and facing the same prejudices, but now I can speak much morr Italian!<BR>I have a couple of recommendations for you and you are welcome to email me if you would like my suggestions.<BR>Best of luck,<BR>Laurel

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 08:05 AM
Red

Just curious. Do single MEN have this same difficulty in Italy?

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 09:44 AM
Mike

Sorrento is great we stayed there last year, Make sure you have a walk in the main square (they stop the traffice at early evening) and people watch in the bar if you are by yourself!! the food is excellent too in the same splace - you'll see it it is the main place. We also heard that Positano was fantastic too but didn't get to see it. <BR><BR>Mike s

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 03:47 AM
xx

Positano