Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Positano or Amalfi for base on Amalfi Coast?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Help! We leave for Capri and the Amalfi Coast in 2 weeks (can't wait). I'm comfortable with my choices for Naples and Capri, but wonder if Positano is our best choice for the Amalfi Coast. We currently are booked at the Bucca di Bacco in Positano for 4 nights, but I'm starting to wonder if Amalfi might be a better location. I would appreciate your opinions. Ann
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 07:55 PM

Amalfi has zero charm next to Positano, relax and stick with the Bucca di Bacco.
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 10:40 PM

I, too, am sure you will be happy at B di B, it is lovely.
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 11:27 PM

Both towns are fine.

Positano is more posh while Amalfi is more a typical Italian town (with market etc.). Amalfi has more historical significance and more attractions (cathedral).

It is a matter of taste where to stay. I personally prefer Amalfi but others Positano.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 03:45 AM

Positano is right in the middle of the Amalfi Coast and much nicer than Amalfi.
Also your hotel is very good (never stayed there but heard about it and saw it).
Enjoy your stay!!
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 05:04 AM

Sorry Robert, if I disagree with you.
The Amalfi Coast is boundaried by Vietri sul Mare and Positano.
Amalfi is in the middle, not the edge.

Vincenzo

Old Apr 15th, 2008, 05:07 AM

Depends what you are looking for. I spent 4 nights in Amalfi on mid January - we drove past Ravello which had been our original plan.
Amalfi at that time of year is cold and rainy and I fell in love with the place. But we did not use it as a base - we just relaxed there for 4 nights after 6 weeks on the road. I spent each day wandering around food shops (you buy cheese at one, meat at another, vegetables somewhere else etc. I loved the change from my supermarket experiences in Australia. It is quaint, old fashioned, religious, coffee is great, restaurants are not world class (but that was my observation of every where I ate in 2 weeks in Italy).

I found driving around this coast to be very nerve wracking - the day trip to Sorrento terrifying - I could not get used to tour buses coming at me on the mountain roads..and this was after 2 weeks on the road from Paris via Germany, Switzerland.

Amalfi is not as picture perfect as some of the other coastal towns but I do not think you could be disappointed with it....good luck
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 06:28 AM

Stick with Bucca di Bacco. You will be very happy there. Positano is gorgeous and has more of the "wow" factor with the scenery and view.

Both Amalfi and Positano are nice, but there is no reason for you to switch. They are pretty close, and you can easily visit one from the other.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everbody! I think we'll just stay in Positano as I had originally planned.

Ann