Search

Amalfi coast and rome

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2014, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amalfi coast and rome

Would love to hear comments on our early planning of trip
Fly into Naple 5 nights split between Amalfi and Ravello, then train to Rome, 4 nights.
Old Jan 29th, 2014, 11:41 AM
WWK

I would choose either Amalfi or Ravello. The two towns are very close to each other. Ravello is a bit remote from the rest of the AC, but has beautiful gardens and amazing concerts in the summer months. Amalfi is grittier, but has better transportation options to the rest of the coast, and some interesting areas to explore.

Just curious why Positano got left out of the mix? To me, it's the quintessential Amalfi Coast town, and easy to get to many other locations ( Amalfi, Ravello, Capri) from there.
Old Jan 29th, 2014, 12:02 PM
ekc

I agree with WWK - no need to split your time. I would only stay in Ravello if you don't want to go anywhere else on the AC. I visited it for an afternoon a couple of years ago and liked wandering the gardens, etc., but it was too remote and quiet for me - I prefer being closer to the beach.

Also agree about Positano. Amalfi is nice but the collection of buses in the center of the beach spoils it for me. It is a great day trip via ferry from Pos which you can combine with visiting Ravello.
Old Jan 29th, 2014, 01:39 PM

Sorry to hijack your thread pajodeka but I have a question for WWK and ekc that might benefit you as well. I am going to be in the AC in September. I reserved a superior sea view room with a terrace at Hotel Aurora in Amalfi. My thinking was Amalfi is more convenient from Salerno train, to Ravello and to Capri. The hotel is down by on the water on the left edge of Amalfi town and seems nice. But, comments like grittier than Positano and not as beautiful or quintessential as Postitano makes me think I might be sacrificing just for convenience sake.

So I guess my question is, even though I am not much of a shopper, should I go for the beauty of Positano with a little added travel effort or stay in Amalfi for conveniece and day trip Positano? My room in Amalfi is 199 euro a night so can I find something comparable in Postitano? Thanks for your opinions. And thanks pajodeka for letting me cut in for a moment.
Old Jan 29th, 2014, 02:08 PM
ekc

In September, travel via ferry between Positano, Amalfi and Salerno is very easy. There is also a direct ferry from Positano to Capri. Therefore, my vote would be to stay in Positano, but that is just my opinion.

You can check hotel availability with www.venere.com
Old Jan 29th, 2014, 05:23 PM

Thank you ekc. I will start looking more closely into Positano. Any personal hotel recs ?
Sorry, I did it again pajodeka.
Old Jan 29th, 2014, 05:35 PM

I agree with ekc. We stayed in Positano during September 2012. It was a great base for us to see Ravello (loved), Amalfi and Capri. Ferry sevice was great and we used the buses too. Have a great trip.
Old Jan 29th, 2014, 08:08 PM
kja

I wouldn't split nights between Amalfi and Ravello, but I would consider (and in fact did) split my time between glorious Ravello and other locations. I split my time in the area between Naples, Capri, Ravello, and Salerno because of my specific interests in the area.
Old Jan 30th, 2014, 02:41 AM

The endless debate: Amalfi Town or Positano. I don't understand the "gritty" comments, I found Amalfi Town quite lovely, much more affordable and easier to get around the coast as a base rather than Positano. There's a ferry directly to Capri, you can hike up the hill to Ravello, and there are buses that can take you to Salerno, Minori, Positano, and Sorrento. While Positano is beautiful (and worth a day trip), it's also one big hill, so unless you're staying by the beach and never leave, you're going to be walking up and down those steps a lot. It's also much more expensive. They say....whichever town you see first...Amalfi or Positano...that's the town you're going to like better. Well, I saw Amalfi first, so perhaps there lies my bias. (And whatever you do, avoid the extremely tacky Emerald Grotto on the mainland, and see the much better Blue Grotto in Capri instead.)

(I write a lot about the Amalfi Coast in my fictional travel adventure, "Bullets, Butterflies, and Italy." You can check it out at my website at www.johnmeyerbooks.com. Sales pitch...over.)
Old Jan 30th, 2014, 06:43 AM
WWK

Maybe "gritty" is the wrong word. Amalfi feels more like a city to me (because it is?) than Positano. And I don't find it as charming or beautiful as Positano, despite the crowds in both places.

No doubt Positano is a city of steps, so you do have to be willing and in decent shape to tackle it. But if you are, oh those views (!) from the top of the hill!

As far as expense, I think it could be slightly more $$$ than Amalfi, but there's definitely a range of options available, including some pretty decent B&B's off the beach.
Old Jan 30th, 2014, 09:01 AM
DRJ

Why not look at Praiano? Halfway between Amalfi and Positano. I've happily stayed a couple of times at Onda Verde. The Sita bus stops across the street.
Old Jan 30th, 2014, 09:42 AM

Grittier = more Italian. Amalfi feels like a place where Italians live, Positano seems more like a stage set. Also Amalfi is better located for transportation options: boats and buses. As well as a walk/hike to Ravello.
Old Jan 30th, 2014, 10:43 AM
ekc

The only transportation options in Praiano is the bus. To catch a ferry you would have to take the bus back to Positano.

Both Positano and Amalfi have good ferry and bus connections.
Old Jan 30th, 2014, 04:12 PM
kja

I think Mimar captured the differences quite well.

FWIW, consider walking DOWN the hill from Ravello to Amalfi, rather than going up hill. Going down, the sea and scenery are spread out in front of you. You can take a bus from Amalfi to Ravello, visit the gardens and cathedral, and then enjoy the walk down to Amalfi.
Old Jan 30th, 2014, 05:34 PM
WWK

Positano and Amalfi both have have decent transportation options up and down the coast. I think this discussion really comes down to what you prefer on vacation. Amalfi has always seemed too citified to me, and not as charming or beautiful as Positano. But as you can see above, plenty of people disagree!
Old Jan 31st, 2014, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the AC information. It all helps!
Old Jan 31st, 2014, 07:52 AM

You can find my trip report of a visit to the Amalfi Coast here:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...1-to-oct-3.cfm

Just proceed to the Amalfi Coast section. We were really happy making Amalfi our base, but this our personal opinion of course.
You will enjoy your stay, no doubts!