Praiano or Amalfi?

Search

Praiano or Amalfi?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Praiano or Amalfi?

Can someone describe the differences between the two locations on the Amalfi Coast so we can decide which one to stay at? We're looking for a place that ideally contrasts Vietri Sul Mare, where we've booked a few nights at Lloyd's Baiai, so that we might have some diversity in location. As far as I can tell, Vietri is a small, somewhat far-flung town, so we'd be looking for more of a central location.

Old Apr 25th, 2006, 01:39 PM
ira

Hi J,

Praiano is a very small town about 6km E of Positano.

It is a lovely place to relax in.

VSM is only 19 mi from Praiano, and only 13 mi from Amalfi.

Are you sure that you want to pack up and move?

Old Apr 25th, 2006, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

We don't really have a choice, being that our hotel in Vietri told us at the last minute that it didn't have reservations for part of our stay. It's no big deal. We figure it'll be nice to experience two parts of the coast. Thanks for the response!
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 04:27 AM
ira

Hi J,

If you want contrast, I suggest Amalfi.

You can take the bus or ferry along the Coast to Sorrento (with stops along the way).

You can bus or ferry to Salerno and on to Paestum.

You can take the bus up to Ravello.

You can visit Capri.

All of this is easier than doing it from Praiano.

However, if you want to be pleasantly relaxed, with great views, I suggest the Le Sirene in Praiano.

www.lesirene.com.

More details in my trip report: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34451044

Enjoy your visit.

Old Apr 28th, 2006, 10:48 AM

I recently stayed in Praiano, which is a lovely little town tucked between Positano and Amalfi. We made day trips to both towns, and were very glad we chose to stay in Praiano as our home base. Both Positano and Amalfi are beautiful, but very busy and crowded, even in March. Praiano is much smaller, quieter. We stayed at the Hotel Tramonto d'Oro, and were blown away by the views from our balcony. Hope this is helpful.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 12:38 PM

Hi J, Vietri sul Mare is at the very end South of the Amalfi Coast. It is on the Amalfi Coast but far away from the most beautiful towns and the central locations of Positano, Amalfi and Ravello.
It is out of the way, but is nice.
I will suggest cancelling the booking and getting a more central hotel. Just my thoughts. Good luck.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 01:27 PM

If you are going to Vietri Sul Mare for the ceramics, that's good. If you would like something quite scenic as well in that area, try looking at Santa Maria di Castellabate. (Do a google search).

For contrast, I would reccomend Praiano simply because you will get elevation. Also, I don't much care for Amalfi, which is jammed with tour buses because it a transportation hub for the Amalfi, including ferries to Capri.

I really regret not going further south along the coast when I was in Amalfi. Yes, the drive and views are spectacular, but the towns just feel like tourist towns. If I'm ever in the area again, I'm planning to go there.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 01:34 PM

ps jessys:

Here's an article about the treasures of that coastline further south than most people go:

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/s2.cfm?id=397032003