Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Any book recommendations for traveling with baby?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2004, 05:44 PM
Ani
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More specifically traveling overseas with baby? Not necessarily the flight (as there are several good posts on that, one started by my best friend just over a year ago), but about the actual trip once there.
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 07:03 PM

How old is baby? It may make a differnce if your baby is a toddler for instanace or still in the pumpkin seat stage ( do they still call them that?)
Do you need hotel suggestions - baby frendly? or just general pearls of wisdom?
Is baby on formula you need to mix with water, etc.
I have not seen any books re: this topic, best bet would be to ask those who have recently taken baby overseas.
Good Luck..
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 10:31 AM

Ani

I've got some information, if you can email me

Dave W
[email protected]
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 12:53 PM

I think Frommers has some specialty books about that. I remember they used to have "guest" people answering questions on their internet forums sometimes for a week (which was kind of a neat idea), and one week the guest person was their author who wrote books about traveling with kids. She seemed to have some good ideas, I thought, and had traveled to Paris with them, for one place.
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 01:09 PM

I don't know how old your baby is... but mine is 16 months and I frankly couldn't find a book about traveling with baby to plan our September trip to Paris and London. Cadogan does a "Take the Kids" books for Paris and London and I bought both but was essentially disappointed because they skew towards older than 3.

I got a lot of information here, and from googling various terms like "travel with toddler", flying with toddler, "playgrounds in Paris", etc.

One thing I found in doing my research though is that there are plenty of people online who hate people who travel with kids, or warn you of all the dire things that can go wrong, or don't want you near them in flight. And there are plenty of companies out there that sell travel products that offer ideas for "what to bring" that also coincide with their product offerings.

My best word of advice... read all the posts here at Fodors about travelling with a baby, figure out where you want to go, and then drill down from there with a book on the area.

Just know that you'll have to cover much less area and do less touristy things with a baby. You'll probably want to pick one or two destinations and get an apartment as a home base. And you'll probably spend at least part of every day at a park or playground. At least that's my plan.

Good luck,
Kat
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 06:32 AM
Ani
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the replies!
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 06:34 AM

Ani! You are going traveling with the little darlin? How great!
I read that she got her shots I would have to try not to cry when mine got theirs, we would all be sniffling at the pediatricians office
Where are you going and when?
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 06:38 AM

Riley might like this book

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0676...13#reader-link
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 07:28 AM

Some countries are definitely more child and baby friendly (Italy) than others (London) for travellers who are out and about. (For example, I many times saw local families with small children--very well behaved, but playful kids--in Italian trattoria and hotels... I have never seen this in England. Not sure why, but a friend with family living in England tells me that families don't do things like eat out at restaurants in England.

So if you are still in the "where to go?" stage, I'd definitely consider Italy. Very family/child/baby friendly. On one of my first trips to Italy there was a couple with 1 yr old baby on the tour (!) and that turned out to be an excellent way for them to go. The seniors on the trip were like grandparents, and LOVED helping with the child (I was surprised too!) and they had a nice way to connect to locals, who typically made a big (good) fuss over the bambina in restaurants, shops and hotels. Seemed to me that Italians just love babies.
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 11:02 AM
Ani
Original Poster

OK-I have more time to reply now. Annesherrod: Riley will have just turned 1 when we plan to go (May). I guess I really don't know EXACTLY what kind of advice I need-really just wondering if there are any books written on the subject-seems not many!

Will check Frommers and will email Dave.

Hi Scarlett! We are going to England and Wales...revisiting York and N. Wales, and first time visiting Kent. So, we'll probably have 3 different bases. I'll check that book out!
Thanks again everyone.
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 11:33 AM

I need advice, please! I will be travelling with my 7 month old baby to Rome next month. Do I need to bring a car seat for her? She is perfectly happy sitting in the stroller without the car seat thing, but do I need the car seat to take taxis around Rome? Or to be in the airport shuttle from the parking lot to the terminal? As I'm travelling by myself, I can't imagine how to carry all of these things!
Many thanks to anyone who will take the time to reply with advice...
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 11:37 AM
Ivy

Fodors makes a really good book on travelling with your baby and you can probably get it on this website. It's excellent.