Search

Paris with a 7 months old baby???

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 05:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris with a 7 months old baby???

Bonjour!
I'm considering going to Paris with my boyfriend and my 7 months old baby boy. But, I don't know if it's a good idea. Is Paris baby friendly? I would be there in early May for 1 week. I just want to enjoy walking around, going to café museums etc.

I've never travelled with my baby so please I need some advise.

Bonne journée!

Mapi
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 06:09 AM

There might not be the same facilities for babies so much like baby changing areas in restrooms for example. I've never travelled with a baby and personally I wouldn't travel with a baby who is 7 months old. And I suggest you consider renting an apartment and not a hotel room.
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 06:13 AM

I suggest you first travel with the baby to a nearby location, so you can experience all the packing, carrying, etc that is involved..then figure out if you can do all that -and- travel internationally, sightseeing, etc. Not saying it can't be done, but you should have a good feel for the amount of work it may involve.

You can enter phrases like "paris and baby" and "paris and infant" in the search box to read other people's experiences.
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 06:47 AM

Please look under my name, we've done it, no biggie, perhaps our prior experience can provide some helpful insight.
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 06:49 AM

Just realize that if you are only going for one week, you will just get the baby switched over to Paris time and then have to switch him back.

A friend of a friend took their baby to Ireland and the baby got very sick, so they had to take him to an Irish hospital. Then they wouldn't let the baby fly home because of his ear infection. The mom had to stay an extra two weeks before it cleared up enough for the two of them to fly home.

Of course it is doable, but would you have a lot more fun by yourselves? Is there someone you can leave the baby with?
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 06:50 AM

Wait a few years before you visit Paris. Your baby needs your attention a lot more than you need a visit to Paris.
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 07:04 AM

Again while it is doable you will not know how it'll be until you do it. My cousin and her husband travelled with their 1 1/2 year old to Paris last Feb. They rented an apartment and saw many sights as possible and even experienced seeing snow in Paris. Her toddler adapted well and did not get sick. I consider them to be lucky that all worked out well. As I said before, I personally would not have done what they did. My son was 8 when we travelled to Europe with him. He has been prone to getting colds and so it was no surprise he came down with a cold just before visiting Paris. I must say that it's challenging to travel with an ill child even at 8 years old. On the other hand, travelling with him at that age was great as he could enjoy the sights.
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 07:05 AM

For many of these prior posters (who I am certain don't even have children) don't let them disuade you. I can state from experience that many more doors were opened for us in Paris simply because of our daughter. As far as the time change, she never really adapted. We did things based on her schedule. As I stated in a previous post, I believe she has slept on every park bench in Paris. She still remembers riding the merry-go-rounds, which is what she equates to Paris. It is very child friendly, I would, however, suggest an apartment...just so you have space to spread out during naps, etc. A hotel room can get pretty crowded for a 2 hour stretch. If you have specific questions, please ask.
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 07:29 AM

SAnParis, yes, I said I have a child. He's now 16. And while I said that my cousin and her husband had great success traveling with their toddler, I don't think it's always going to be successful traveling with a baby! You are fortunate your baby did well on the trip.
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 07:46 AM

mapi, here is another thread about a couple who took an infant to Japan. Looks like they managed quite well:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34736225

Anselm
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 07:54 AM

I think this is something only you can really decide. I traveled with my kids all the time, even as young as 7 months, but we stuck with travel within the U.S., and nothing more than a 3 hr direct flight, until my oldest was 4 and the youngest 1, because the 4 yr old was colicky and lots of difficulty until we found the right formula as an infant and I wouldn't have imposed that crankiness on others on a plane, hotel, anywhere!

Then, when they were still under age 6, I was lucky, and could bring my mother or a sitter with us so we could go out some nights alone and even allow the babies a 'day of rest' with someone else sitting in the hotel/apartment. There were times we didn't have anyone with us, but they were still enjoyable, and doable, just different. My second baby was easy, he'd go anywhere, sleep anywhere, eat anywhere.

However, babies are everywhere, and mothers walk them around, go to cafes, etc. Paris has lovely parks and outdoor spots. The questions I would ask myself, before taking a 7 mth old to Paris for one week, are questions like these:

Is my baby flexible? Am I? Does my baby have to have her naps in a quiet place, in a crib, or can she sleep anywhere, anytime, in a stroller, etc and not have it throw her schedule into such a tizzy that she is cranky and fussing all the time.

What are the expectations of my boyfriend and I for our week in Paris? If it is just enjoying walking around and stopping in museums and cafes, then go for it. If you are looking for romantic evening strolls and dinners, you need to think about that, and if a vacation somewhere that is a destination geared for adults w/ little ones, that maybe offers some in-house sitters, might bring you more of a little of both.

That being said, if you are game - go. Even when we traveled in the U.S. with the infants, you can do it and travel light. A collapsable stroller, the usual baby bag, and you are off. Also, I like your boyfriend. I like any guy who would take the love of his life and a 7 mth old to Paris !! So my guess is he would be also be flexible, helpful and game.

Travelnut gave you good advice, there are many posts on here on how to travel with a baby (not just to paris) full of helpful hints for flying, transporting, etc. Especially to first ask your pediatrician, and I never went w/out the usual stock of baby first aid kit, - benadryl, tylenol, thermometer and my notes on what they'd had or not had (shots, specific ear infections, etc)

As far as them getting sick and changing the schedule, it can happen no matter the age, that is life. On a trip to Florida two years ago my 22 year old had a major sinus infection when we landed, with no prior warning, and we had to stay an extra four days before the doctor allowed her to fly home. On that note, I would recommend you get travel insurance on the remote chance you have to change flights, stay longer, etc. There are many useful posts on this forum about that also.

Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 08:52 AM

francophile, it was not your post to which I was referring. In addition, I believe there are many places that are not suitable for children to begin with. Las Vegas for example. That being said, I just feel your best info comes from those people who have done it, not merely those w/an opinion about it. I don't post on the 'cruise' board because I don't do cruises, nor do I intend to, for the most part. I am only encouraging mapi to listen to those who have the personal experience of doing it. We have been fortunate, we're about to go to the Carribbean w/our now 3 yr. old & 9 month old & I don't think our younger son is quite as adaptable. We'll see.
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 08:58 AM

Mapi -- I can't imagine a better age for a baby (before they can walk/run away from you!) to travel.

I'd definitely go if your kid is good-tempered and travels easily (and if you don't know, try a test run somewhere nearby for a long weekend if you can).

If you don't already have one, I'd get one of those Baby Bjorn baby carriers. One of my best friends went with her kid to Paris at 6 months and had a lovely time. Her son often napped in his carrier, and he was happy to go where she did...

Jules
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 12:04 PM

I have a 19 month old baby as well as another one on the way. We live in Michigan and I've taken my baby to Florida and Grand Cayman as a 6 month old, to Los Angeles by myself when she was 9 month old, to North Dakota at 9 months, and then again to Florida as an 18 month old. I have also been to Paris with my husband alone when she was 11 months, and to Ireland alone when she was 14 months.

So I am very qualified to know the limits with my own baby. Every baby is different, and only the parents can know how that baby will travel.

My advice is that going to Paris with my husband alone was absolutly wonderful. Even if the trip is not designed as a romantic retreat, you are in Paris for goodness sake and it is romantic. That would definitly been spoiled by the baby.

If you take the baby, the trip is going to now be mostly about making the baby comfortable. If you are okay with that, then go. But a baby that age is not going to be scared for life if you leave him home.

And another person pointed this out on another thread. How much of the baby's caregive are you? Are you and your boyfriend 50/50? Or are you more like me and my husband 60/40? Are you going to be mostly responsible for this baby? Are you going to be up all night when he is awake?

I'm just trying to get you to see all the possible problems so you can decide if this is something you really want to do.
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 12:48 PM

Mapi - Where do you live? If it's NY then the flight isn't too bad but if you're flying from the west coast, I think that's too much to expect of a 7 month old baby. Flying is very hard on their ears.

My opinion would be to leave your baby at home with your parents or someone very close to you and your baby or go at a time when your child is older and would beable to enjoy Paris. I just think it would be a hardship on your child.

Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 01:30 PM
kmflondon

Mapi,

My husband and I took our first child, now 3, to Brugge, Luxembourg, and Paris when she was less than 4 months, to Ireland at 13 months, and to Germany with our second child when he was 7 months. We had been on several multi-country, see everything European trips before they were born so we were familiar with the basics.

I feel compelled to say that Paris was a stretch for us as first time parents with such a young child, even as experienced travellers. We ended up on the Metro at rush hour once and did not venture there again - the crowds on the Metro really frightened me with the baby. You really need to consider how stressed out you may get with your baby in a small croweded space such as a standing room only Metro or long line or something, and also how the two of you react to problems such as getting lost, can't do what you expected to do, can't understand people, etc. (We lost our passports in Paris 4 hours before our plane left to return home.) We were in Paris for 3 days, stayed in a hotel near the Eiffel tower so we saw that plus Arch de Triumph (metro ride), and went to Versailles one day to get out of Paris so we didn't do that much. We had been there twice before so it didn't bother us but we wished we went to a smaller city - Brugge was great as was Lux. Note that the next trip with a small child was to Rine and Mosel River valleys in Germany in the Fall - all towns - no cities - perfect for us at that point.

However, now we live in London and frequently get on the tube with our double wide Mountain Buggy with our 3 and 1 year old. Crowded or not. Just took them to Rome and had no problem. But our mindset and experience with cities and as parents are totally different now from who we were with the first at 3 months old. Do you live in or near a city that you can hop a subway or public bus at a busy time with the baby so you can see how you are with it? Or you could take cabs or try to travel at non-peak times. Just expect that something will not go as planned and you may not see everything you expect.

Definitely go to Europe - it is easier travelling with an 8 month old than an older child many times. You may not want to go to a huge city, and there are many many nice towns to go to that you can still walk around and hang out at less crowded cafes, go to museums, etc. If you do go, BUY A SEAT FOR YOUR BABY ON THE AIRPLANE!!!

Good luck!

Old Jan 24th, 2006, 03:15 AM

Mapi
Go!

2 adults-1 baby, it won't be a problem as long as your expectations aren't unreasonable.
From your post it looks like you want a relaxed break with your family.

7 months is a great age to travel & you & your boyfriend can fit in with the babies sleep pattern.

We been travelling with our 4 kids since the oldest was 7 weeks. We've never had a bad experience or a trip we regretted.
It was mostly around europe although we did go from uk to australia when the youngest was 5 months.

You will find as another poster said, many doors open to you with a baby. Airline crews especially have been great to us.

Go to paris, have a great time, don't over plan, just take each day as it comes. In a few years time your son will be helping you plan your trips.

P.S.
Take lots of pictures, your son will love looking at them when he's older
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 03:23 AM

Of course it is a good idea! Go. Have a great trip. I don't think you need to "practice" travelling to a US destination to see if you'd be prepared for an Europe one!
Just go, you're a mom - do what we always do - love and thrive!
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 03:46 AM

I took my 6 month old boy from Munich to Australia and thats a fair distance, with no problems at all. Since then, he's been twice to Malaysia and twice to the UK, once again no problems.

As I'm at work all day, I really only ever see a lot of him at weekends so any extended time is really worth it, I can't understand how people can say leave him at home with someone, I could never, nor want to do it.

He's 14 months now and in March, we're off to New York, Vegas & DC and not worried in the slightest.

Geordie
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 05:37 AM

Another 'one & done'..why do we waste our time on these clowns ??!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -