Antico Palazzo Scalla in Sorrento?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, all! Has anyone ever stayed here before? The website gives absolutely no indication of where this place is located or how accessible it is to the center of town, beaches, etc. We would probably be traveling with my parents (if we can talk them into it), who are in their mid-70's, and we don't want to kill them on this trip by making them walk all over you-know-where and high water. If this place doesn't work, we're going with Il Nido--that shuttle bus gets serious points! Thanks for any info you can provide.
Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 09:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I had no problem navigating the website to find the location of these apartments. They are located two blocks from the main piazza (Tasso), very central in Sorrento and more preferable (for me) than Il Nido's location. But that's me.

There are no real beaches in Sorrento which is a town on top of a cliff. There are small open areas at water level, but many are owned by the luxury hotels above. Frankly, I don't think people stay in Sorrento to enjoy the water's edge. It's all about the views from the cliff above. There is a nearby public park (opposite the Bellevue Syrene Hotel) where you can sit on benches and take in the view. Getting from the town level to the water level requires taking a bus or taxi or making a fairly strenuous walk.

May I ask the rate for these apartments? Thanks.

Old Jun 24th, 2007, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Jean, the reason we were considering these was because they are the only accommodations in Sorrento that can be used as a timeshare exchange, which my parents have. So I don't know what the cost would be. I questioned what the location and the view were, because it seems like every hotel that offers a view, shows a picture of it. Although they have a nice aerial picture of Sorrento, you don't know if you are actually viewing it from the hotel!
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 09:46 AM

The view might depend on the apartment in the building. If it's high up enough, there might be a view. But the view is going to be "distant" if you know what I mean. There would probably be a "ribbon" of blue water with Naples in the distance and the ferries crossing the bay. Again, depending on the height and orientation of the apartment, there might be a view of Vesuvius. Have a great time. Sorrento and the surrounding area is beautiful.
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 02:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Dear andiejo:

I also checked out the website. This place is smack in the old town and very handy to walking, shopping, eating and transportation(bus & train). I doubt you will have any kind of ocean view. How mobile are your folks? Can they climb stairs? Does this place have an elevator?

Il Nido is up out of town, so the shuttle is very handy. But the shuttle has a pick up schedule in town, so you have to coordinate with those times. You can also use the bus down to town. We stayed at Il Nido in 2002 with my mom, age 81. We just ended up going to town in the morning, shopping, eating, siteseeing, then back to the Il Nido in the evening to eat dinner. We were way to pooped out to go out at night. The Il Nido was very nice, but not fancy. The food was very good, they were very helpful, and our view of the bay spectacular. I would stay there again.

Since this is a timeshare, would you have to stay a whole week? I don't think I would want to spend a whole week in downtown Sorrento. 3 or 4 days would be enough for me.

Good luck on you planning.

MY
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Michelle-
Wow-Yes, we would have to stay a week and I never considered that we might not want to be in the middle of Sorrento for that length of time...Thanks for that input! Even though the APS looks very clean and nice, it doesn't have a restaurant like Il Nido does and I did consider that once we get back from a day of sightseeing that all my parents are going to want to do is eat and go to bed. They are mobile, but dad's also been having issues with his back, so the recommendation to check on stairs and/or elevator at the APS was a good one...Jean and Michelle, later I will have to touch base with you both to get your ideas on the best places to get a bite in Sorrento...Thanks again!
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 08:06 AM

Andiejo:

The apartments look nice. Too bad there is no price/rate listed on their website. Do you know how much they charge, roughly (espeically the 2 bedrrom apartments)?

P.S. I really dislike hotel (or rental apartment) websites that don't list their rate and you have to contact them to ask for it!
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 09:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Dear andiejo:

I don't think restaurants would be a problem at this location since you are right in the thick of things. Spending a week would allow you to become part of the neighborhood, but again, I would want to spend part of my week elsewhere, not in the middle of Sorrento. Good luck and maybe you will get more suggestions today.

MY
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 09:46 AM

There is so much to do in the area that I think a week would be excellent. They can hire a local driver to show them around, maybe a different direction each day. I am sure they will not get bored. There are so many restaurants so close to the apartment they can easily eat at different restaurants every night.

I would put my parents in the middle of things in Sorrento so they would not have to rely on buses, taxis or shuttles every morning, noon and night.
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 03:22 PM

I also don't think two weeks is too long, but I might change my mind if you tell me your trip is for July/August when tourist crowds will be their worst.

A full week gives your parents a day or two to do nothing but amble around Sorrento. Other sights in the area each take about a day, even with private transportation, to see at a leisurely pace. You/they might love a place so much (Capri? Positano/Ravello?) that you want to visit again on a second day.
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 03:23 PM

Where did "two weeks" come from? I meant ONE week.
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 03:56 PM

Il Buco is a fabulous restaurant and Pizzeria Aurora in Tasso Square has great pizza!

Also loved Ristorante La Lanterna on
via San Cesareo - mostly locals, so you know its good!

Magia!!!

ciaolaura