Sorrento Hotel/Apartment advice!

Apr 4th, 2004, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Sorrento Hotel/Apartment advice!

We are going to Italy in September and are planning to stay in the Amalfi area for a week. We have been reading and it seems it makes the most sense to stay in Sorrento as a home base as transportation around seems easier from there. We are looking for a hotel or apartment for 150-200 Euro's per night. We like smaller, european type hotels - a clean, privat bath is a must!!! Any recommendations? We will be getting married while we are there so somewhere special with a view would be a plus!!!

Thanks!
Apr 4th, 2004, 08:21 PM

For appartments try:

http://www.summerinitaly.com/

We're heading back to Sorrento for our second visit in May, and we booked a place through here.

We were there in 2002 and stayed at the Bellevue Syrene. I doubt if you can get a room there under 200, but if you want to spend a little more, I couldn't think of a better place to spend a honeymoon. It's on a cliff with a private pier over the bay of Naples. Our second choice, which was a bit cheaper was a place calle La Tonnarella. We didn't stay there, but it looked nice on the net.

Good Luck,

Jerry
Apr 5th, 2004, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the recommendations! I will check them out!
Apr 5th, 2004, 05:10 PM

We're staying at Il Nido (www.ilnido.it) in Sorrento next week. It's actually alot less than you mentioned (98E in April), but the reviews I checked out looked good. It's probably nothing fancy, but it has views with a terrace. I was initally worried about being up the hill 10 minutes from the center of Sorrento, but most travelers seemed to find their shuttle bus very convenient. I'll let you know more when we get back.
Apr 5th, 2004, 06:46 PM

Heidiho - Il Nido is a bit up the hill but it has wonderful views from the roof terrace, restaurant terrace and from most rooms. It appears Gianni has fixed his webcam but it is dark in Sorrento right now and you can only see the lights on the coast.

The free shuttle from Il Nido operates in the morning and at night. Mid-day you can use the local busses or ask Gianni to run the shuttle for you which will only cost $5 for the trip (not per person).

mgfit - Il Nido is spotless including the tubs/showers. Some rooms are bigger than others and some only have small showers while others have large tubs so if you want any particular amenities you need to ask in advance. There is free internet access in the lobby. W/o view 88 euro with view 98.

Il Nido is one of my favorite hotels. Small, family run and extremely accommodating.
Apr 5th, 2004, 07:45 PM

This gets redundant, but another vote for Il Nido. We stayed there in July for four days and loved it. Dinner on the balcony overlooking the Bay of Naples could even make a romantic out of me.
Apr 17th, 2004, 10:04 AM

We are also going to Sorrento and Amalfi coast in September and I have booked at a B & B that was recommended called Casa Astarita (www.casastarita.com). It is between 85-95 euros. I have had difficulty getting a confirmation because they seem to only speak Italian, but they were responsive to my reservation request
Apr 17th, 2004, 10:10 AM

Another vote for Bellevue Syrene! Check the rates, it's worth a little extra though. Great location for walking to everywhere in Sorrento, plus it's on the cliff with beautiful views of the water & Capri. Rooms are outstanding & very clean. Courteous & helpful staff was nice too. It's definitely a romantic place. Our first night, upon return to our room we were surprised with a complimentary bottle of champagne, which we enjoyed on our little terrace enjoying the view. Great hotel! I think Sorrento is the best place to stay as a homebase for exploring the entire Amalfi Coast. Trish
May 22nd, 2004, 10:46 AM

We spent two nights at the La Tonnarella on May 12 and May 13, 2004. We had a double room with a seaview balcony. It cost 150 Euros per night and was worth every penny. The view from the balcony was outstanding. The room was very nice/clean, and the hotel staff were very friendly. A nice breakfast is included, as well as parking. We left our car parked at the hotel and walked (about 15 minutes) to the old town.

If you are going to book it, I would do it very soon as they tend to fill their rooms very fast.

Best wishes on your wedding.

May 22nd, 2004, 10:54 AM

Here's a website with a webcam which shows the view from La Tonnarella.

http://www.turisticsite.com/services/webcam.asp
May 23rd, 2004, 07:43 AM

www.sorrentoinfo.com has listings for apratments and hotels.