Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Another Paris hotel question, please help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2005, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First, thanks to all who are willing to help. My sister and I are planning a trip to Paris in the beginning of October this year. I have been to Paris several times with my husband but this will be her first trip. I feel most comfortable returning to an area that I am familiar with, so i have decided to stay in the 6th arrondesement again. I want this to be a special trip for my sister as she had previous plans and they fell through. I have narrowed down my choice of hotel for either Hotel Le Regent on rue Dauphine or Hotel D'Angleterre on rue Jacob. I wanted something very Parisian for her first stay, nothing too small ao that we are on top of each other, but nothing terribly costly either. Le Regent is about 210 Euros for larger room and D'Angleterre is 235 Euros including breakfast,(which really doesnt matter to me). I would love to hear from those who have stayed at both. Since the cost is not that much of a difference, I am looking for something to convince me to choose one over the other. Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 07:35 AM

I stayed at the Angleterre in 2002. My room was pretty costly at approx. 248 euro; it was a room that overlooked the patio. Unfortunately the room was in need of some maintenance, but as of last year the hotel was renewed apparently. I thought it was just okay, but that was my opinion only. Besides the room problems I didn't think the staff was very welcoming and I don't like their cancellation policy which is really steep, somewhere almost a month. And I don't mean that I want a close friend in the receptionist, just someone who doesn't make you feel as though you're intruding. I had a chance to visit the Le Regent when walking around last year. I just saw the lobby and picked up a brochure. The receptionist was very friendly, the location is as nice as the Angleterre's, and I understand the larger rooms are very well-maintained.
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 07:48 AM

We've stayed at Hotel le Regent a number of times and always enjoy our stay. I've found the staff helpful, the rooms clean and tidy. We've always stayed in the smaller rooms (rather spend that money on food), and fibnd the amount of space works for us. Note that the lowest stop for the elevator is up 1/2 flight. We rarely take the elevator anyway, but it might be an issue for others.

We always have a people-watching breakfast outside at one of the nearby cafes.
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both for your responses, they will help me to make my decision. I have also checked this web site as well as trip advisor for other opinions prior to my original post. Is there anyone else with advice or commentary?
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 01:28 PM

Hi dena -

I just stayed at Hotel Regent in May for three nights. I selected it from this website and Tripadvisor as well.

We were very happy with it. (Me and my hubby) The location is perfect - very "Parisian". You are about 5 minutes walk from the Seine. There is a great cafe called Cafe du Buci right around the corner where you can hang out and soak up the Parisian life.

The hotel itself was very nice. Enough room for two adults to move around. GREAT modern large bathrooms too. The staff are very very nice and speak English. I would say that there website is a true depiction of the rooms as well. Its also very clean which is always important to me.

I don't know of the other place so I can not comment. I was very happy with our choice of the Hotel Regent - thanks to this site mostly.
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 02:11 PM

You may need to go ahead and make a decision. The first 2 weeks of October are fashion weeks and the hotels fill up fast.
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for that tip Gretchen and everyone. I am leaning toward Le Regent, sounds like the right place. Must speak to my sister and let her know.
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 04:04 PM

Dena..I love the 6th near the 7th (or 7th near the 6th); however, there is another area which to me is even more postcard Paris than the 6th- Ile St. Louis. You can see the steeple of Notre Dame, easily cross to the L bank and walk down St. Germain or to the R bank and into the Marais. It would give you a chance to see a new neighborhood and would delight your sister IMO. ..just a thought
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 04:31 PM

Hi Dena,

We stayed at Hotel Le Regent for 3 nights in May, and found it quite pleasant (we were in the standard small room for 140 Euro, and were happy with it). The staff is friendly, and quick to respond to emails, and the location is great. Do note Lexma90's tip about the elevator, in case you are heavy packers .

One other thing we liked was that our room had the type of safe where you can set a password code -- nice for passports, etc. The bathroom was gorgeous, too (I think their website mentions they were recently redone). Good luck with your decision!
Old Jul 16th, 2005, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who so graciously responded. I booked a superior luxury room at Le Regent this morning! The trip seems so much more real once your hotel is booked. Thanks again. I am now waiting to hear from Michael Osman as to his availability for my dates.
Old Jul 16th, 2005, 01:07 PM

That's great, Dena! =D>

Your hotel's wonderful, location is excellent, and your tour guide I understand is first-rate. Looks like you'll be having a fantastic visit to Paris!