another London hotel/area question

Old Jun 26th, 2006, 04:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
another London hotel/area question

I would imagine that transportation and accommodations issues are the two most difficult for travelers to sort out. I felt like I read about the Oyster card for days before really beginning to understand it. (We have essentially no public transportation in our little city.) Now, I've been reading guidebooks and everything I can find on the forums about hotels and am still feeling a bit confused.

Let me tell you about ourselves and preferences in the hopes that you can help me pin things down to one or two areas and one or two hotels. I'm grateful for any advice you can give me.

We are a family of two 40 somethings and a thirteen year old daughter. We have never been to London - or Europe. We love history. We don't care that much about shopping or theater this trip (although we will try to see RSC at Stratford). We are most excited about visiting the British Museum and the Tower of London. Of course we'll want to see as many of the typical tourist sites as possible. We want to walk mostly, resorting to buses as needed. We want to SEE London for the short time we'll be there (six days) rather than be confined underground (though we realize that might be the most efficient way to travel at times). We want to be comfortable but don't expect to be pampered (prefer friendly to stuffy). A few amenities we would like include two beds double or queen, en suite, air-conditioning, (internet access would be nice). As far as atmosphere, I would like to FEEL like we're in London when I look out the window - a view would be nice but not mandatory. I'm not a fan of dark and dingy. We would like to be within walking distance of pubs and other casual local eateries. Our budget is about $300. per night, give or take $50. I have a year to budget and look for deals.

So, I'm sorry to be so long-winded. Where would be a good location for our walk/bus tourist plans? Other things on our itinerary are Hampton Court and Stratford (trains) and the Big Bus tour and one of the Beatles walks if that is helpful.

It seems that Robespierre mentioned two good areas for those that prefer bus travel (with a minimum of or no transfers), but I could not find the post again. Royal Horseguards, Rubens in the Park, Holiday Inn Mayfair, and Travel Inn County Hall all seem to come recommended, but I'm open to any and all suggestions. The London Eye area looks fun but I'm not sure I'd want to cross the bridge every time I want to go elsewhere?
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 05:31 PM

My DH, two teenagers, and I will be staying at the Holiday Inn Mayfair at the end of July, if you want to wait that long for current info? I plan on posting a trip report when we return ....
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 05:43 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
All 4 of those hotels are in great areas. But they are quite different properties.

Of the Royal Horseguards, Rubens in the Park, Holiday Inn Mayfair, and Travel Inn County Hall - if they fit in yoyr budget (and they do) I'd definitely choose either Rubens at the Palace or the Royal Horseguards.

Next would be the HI Mayfair, and lastly the County Hall Premier Travel Inn. I recommend the Travel Inn a LOT but it isn't in the same class as the others. More of a budget hotel in a great location - sort of like a travel lodge in the States - basic, built in furniture, but modern and clean.

The Rubens at the Palace is a terrific hotel (and actually even a bit of a bargain for its quality), and Royal HorseGuards is great too in a convenient location near Trafalgar Sq and the River.

If my feet were held to the fire I'd probably take the Rubens - but actually any of the 4 woulld be fine.
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 07:16 PM

I stayed at Royal Horseguards for one week last year, it is a nice hotel, 3-4 mintes walk to Trafalgar Square for best bus connections for all major sights, short distance to theatres and concert halls. Perhaps I am biased, if the room rate is right, I always try to stay around Trafalger Square (about one month per year).

I am afraid I don't have first hand experience at Rubens, but last month I stayed at nearby Crown Plaza St.James for couple nights (had very good rate), it seemed the bus connection not as convenient, and the area was really quite in the evening, not as many dining places around as near Trafalgar Square.
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 07:18 PM

The HI Mayfair is the only place I have stayed in London, but we did love our stay in March so much that we will be returning there in August. My 17yo daughter insisted we go back to the same hotel. The rooms were quite nice and tasteful; certainly not your roadside Holiday Inn! The front desk told me that all of the rooms had recently been redone. Our view was nothing spectacular.

We loved the location - Mayfair is wonderful. From the hotel you could easily walk to: the Westminster/Big Ben area through St. James Park; to Buckingham Palace through Green Park; to Piccadilly, the West End, Trafalgar Square and Covent Garden; to Hyde Park; and even to Harrods/Knightsbridge museums. If the weather is bad or you tire of walking, the tube and bus lines are less than a block.

That being said, I'm sure the other hotels you mentioned are lovely. You really can't go wrong with that selection.
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 05:59 AM

I also think the Holiday Inn Mayfair is a decent choice. The location is super and the rooms are large enough to accomodate your family of 3 (the same can't be said for many typical London hotel rooms). My advice on room selection is to get a room away from Picadilly (street) if possible...they are quieter.

While Holiday Inn Mayfair is very central, and walking distance to Green park, Buckingham Palace, etc., it is not an area filled with pubs and inexpensive places to eat. And the rooms don't have panoramic London views. For views, try the riverside rooms at the Marriott County Hall (sadly, they are over your target budget).

The Rubens is popular, a bit more upscale, and in a good location too. I'd check, but not sure their standard rooms can accomodate 3 people.

Neither of these hotels is close to your top 2 "must-sees" (Tower or Brit. Museum), but that alone should not be a deciding factor.

We had a good stay recently at the Langham Hotel, which is somewhat closer to the British Museum. The hotel is a more expensive than the Reubens.

The whole Oystercard and ticket issue is just absurdly complex for the average visitor. At one point, Transport For London had a 30+ page book explaining ticketing options...how helpful! I still say that a 7 day, zone 1-2 travelcard from Transport for London is easier than the Oystercard for visitors, if not absolutely the lowest cost option:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/fares-tick...avelcard.shtml

Bus travel takes a bit more planning than the tube, since there are so many routes winding through central London. That said, children under 16 travel free on London buses.

During rush hour, walking is often faster than taking the bus. Walking is also often faster than taking a short ride on the tube, or a tube ride that requires line changes, because of the length of the walkway tunnels in many tube stations (I swear we walked for 15 minutes to change lines at one station).

have a great trip.

Dave
[email protected]
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 08:50 AM

Why don't you investigate the Renaissance Chancery Court hotel. The last I looked, the website thru Marriott.com had a double room for 99GBP plus the 17.5% VAT tax. There have been nothing but raves about this 5 star hotel on tripadvisor.com. It's within a short walking distance to the British Museum as well as Covent Garden. You would need to take public transportation from almost any hotel to the Tower. I will be staying at this hotel for a week in August.
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 09:10 AM

Does the Renaissance Chancery Court have triples? That is what the OP needs, with spouse and 13yo daughter.
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the great replies so far.

It appears the Renaissance does have rooms with two beds (queens or doubles) - looks amazingly upscale for the price!
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 12:23 PM

You may also want to check Le meridien Piccadilly. We were able to get a rate of 150GBP per night plus VAT through their spg.com website being starwood members. They also have an indoor pool and are located very central with many restaurants in the area

I searched many of the posts here, looked through many hotel websites for room photos, locations, etc. I was also considering the Rubens hotel and from a post I put on here most people suggested Le Meridien instead for location and the fact that you will get two beds and the pool vs a king bed and a sofa bed at the Rubens

By the way I have read many of your reports on the Grand Wailea in Hawaii and we are also staying there in August of this year.

Here is the post about le Meridien vs Rubens http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34523505
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 12:28 PM

Sorry wrong link
Here is the one about the hotels http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...50&keyword=157
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

ga -
I think I'll mark the Ruben off my list. Two beds are much nicer than a sofa bed situation. And I'll add Le Meridien to my list. Thanks! I think you'll LOVE the Grand Wailea...
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 03:43 PM

I checked on the Marriott website and I entered 3 adults and the price wass the same as for 2. There would be 2 double beds.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

It looks like the Rubens AND the Royal Horseguards have to resort to a roll-away "cot" type bed to accommodate three in a room. I've had too many bad experiences with cots. Disappointing...

Now I understand why most families resort to the more modern chain-type hotels with less character.