An ambitions plan for Andalusia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2015, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a few days to stop in Seville/Madrid and although the number of days is a little bit flexible, I need to carry on with the rest of my journey. I will be entering Spain through Seville and departing from Madrid.

Aside from spending a day each at Seville and Madrid. Any more than one day feels too long as I am someone who doesn't enjoy places like Paris, Rome, and London, but definitely enjoy small towns with a very unique character. I am starting to develop "Europe fatigue" and as such, museums and cathedrals feel repetitive when travelling in Europe.

From what I have researched, I think I have great interest in visiting Ronda and Cordoba, and some interest in visiting Cadiz and Toledo. I will definitely do a minimum of 4 full days to see Seville, Ronda, Cordoba, and Madrid. How important are the other destinations that I've listed as day trips from Seville/Madrid? Are there others that I have missed?
Old Jul 28th, 2015, 06:03 PM

"Europe fatigue"? Oh my, get yourself to a good doctor or clinic right away and take something for that.

If you only have about 4 days, I suggest 2 in Seville, with a day trip to Cordoba, and 2 in Madrid, with a day trip to Toledo.

Seville will not trigger your Europe fatigue and has a small town feel that is unique among the places I have visited. I could spend a week there just wandering. Ronda is almost 2 hours from Seville by car, and 2:30 by train, so it is a tougher day trip than Cordoba.

Madrid may have you feeling a little tired, given your untreated affliction, but either Toledo or Segovia make fine day trips.

If you can spare another day, add it to Seville.
Old Jul 28th, 2015, 10:57 PM

I think I can understand your "Europe fatigue". The problem is probably not Europe but "another museum, another church".

You have found your own healing. Do not focus on socalled "attractions". Guidebooks list such attractions and many travellers feel they "must" follow a bucket list. Travel in a more relaxed style, drive leisurely over the scenic roads which are so abundant in Andalusia, stroll through villages and small towns, see the little things (like stork's nests on church roofs) and inhale the atmosphere.

Here my tips for Andalusia:

- Sevilla has, of course, the cathedral. It also has an Old Town, which has, however, largely been converted into a tourist trap with loads of souvenir stores and tacky restaurants.

- You will like more Cordoba which is quieter and more authentic. Walking through the Jewish Quarter will give you the feeling how it was hundreds of years ago. Of course, there is a cathedral. And it is unique, because inside the cathedral there was a mosque.

- You will also like Carmona. It is a small town just east of Sevilla (in fact, between Sevilla and Cordoba) and it looks like Andalusian towns looked before the tourists came (to be sure, Carmona has tourists too, and two first-rank hotels, but you still see more natives than tourists there). Because it is located between Sevilla and Cordoba, Carmona would make a good base. We loved the Alcazar de la Reina, a four star-hotel, but there is also a Parador. BTW, Carmona is one of the oldest towns in Andalusia, founded some 3,000 years ago.

- You will like Ronda. The drive to and from Ronda is very scenic and you will find a picture-postcard view of the town there.

- If you want to do something different you may make a bodega tour in Jerez. It is quite fun to walk through the caves, see drunken mice and taste different kinds of sherry. We liked the tour of Gonzales Byass (Tio Pepe, Lepanto). It is doable on a daytrip to Ronda.
Old Jul 28th, 2015, 11:30 PM
kja

"Cordoba ... inside the cathedral there was a mosque."

Actually, I believe the cathedral is inside the mosque -- the Mezquita. But whichever, it is magnificent!
Old Jul 29th, 2015, 12:28 AM

Córdoba is only 40 mins from Sevilla with the high speed AVE Train.

I would suggest you go only some 300 meters north of the Mezquita and the most touristy area and into Roman Córdoba around central Plaza de las Tendillas and Plaza de la Corredera. More local atmosphere up here and affordable and traditional tabernas on every corner. Taberna Salinas is one of the more famous, recommended by the Michelin guide: http://www.tabernasalinas.com/

Also excellent terraces on the plazaz, full of cordobeses long into the small hours, at least in the week-ends.

I very much like Taberna El Gallo in C/Mária Cristina, 6, two minutes from Plaza de las Tendillas, and next door to the Roman temple ruins. Great wines - try the dry Amargoso - and excellent tapas. In one word: Genuine!
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...Andalucia.html
http://cordobapedia.wikanda.es/wiki/Taberna_El_Gallo
Old Jul 29th, 2015, 08:20 AM

traveller 1959 said

>>>>>You will like more Cordoba which is quieter and more authentic.

A bold statement. Seville is considered the jewel of Andalucía and the most quintessentially Spanish city for a reason. If likes are counted by the number of relative visitors to each, Seville kills it.
Old Jul 29th, 2015, 08:24 AM

I can understand the idea, also, but Spain is different, of course (to some extent, you can always get sick of seeing yet another church/cathedral).

I think Cordoba would be good and make the most sense from what you've said. Besides, it's right on the line between Madrid and Seville, so no trouble.

Perhaps you aren't aware, but Seville is a lot smaller than those major capitals. Yes, it is still a city but not humongous.
Old Jul 29th, 2015, 08:51 AM

<Seville is considered the jewel of Andalucía and the most quintessentially Spanish city for a reason>

Sevilla is the undisputed queen of the cities in Andalucia, but Córdoba for sure also is something special. Here you'll get an ide of the Córdoba "life and spirit": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyfGdpF55Uk

You can easily get a very pleasant and laid-back Andalucian feel for life in Córdoba. I think there are perhaps no better place to reflect upon what this very special and almost mythical region is and how it developed.

Few other cities in Europe beats the history of Córdoba, from Roman Corduba to the capital of Muslim al-Andalus after 766 AD, and then through Christian times after the 1236 reconquista capture and eventual steep decline. Córdoba was the most advanced city in Europe during caliphate times about 1000AD, some 500 000 inhabitants, and a great cultural, political and economic centre with 300 public baths and the greatest library in the world.

I have visited Córdoba in relation to magnificent theater performances, ended up in never to forget flamenco nights, had some of the best no fuss meals ever and met brilliant people. Perhaps the best description would be to say that Córdoba - outside the absolute most beaten track - is a place where Andalucía just tend to happen.

No one has better captured the essence of the eight Andalucian capitals than the poet Manuel Machado in his Canto a Andalucía/Song to Andalucía (1936):

Cádiz, salt-laden brilliance.
Granada, hidden waters that weep.
Roman and Moorish, silent Córdoba.
Málaga, flamenco singer.
Golden Almería.
Silvery Jaén.
Huelva, shore of the three caravels.
And Sevilla...

the original:

Cádiz, salada claridad. Granada,
agua oculta que llora.
Romana y mora, Córdoba callada.
Málaga cantaora.
Almería, dorada.
Plateado, Jaén. Huelva, la orilla
de las tres carabelas.
Y Sevilla...
Old Jul 30th, 2015, 07:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses everyone. This gives me a clear idea of what I think will be worth my while.

I don't know if I'll miss out on much by skipping on many of the wonderful suggestions listed here, but I think Seville, Ronda, Cordoba, and Toledo offer more of what I am looking for.

Thanks everyone!