Help Spain Andulcia itenary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to spain in March with our 2 small children. we are flying into granada and out of seville. (on ryan air) we were planning the following
day 1 to 3 granada Day 1 8 pm arrive
day 4 to 6 ronda
day 6 to 8 arcos
day 8 to 10 cordoba
day 10 to 14 seville

My question is should we visit cordoba because it seems we are going out of our way to see it. we are backtracking. should we just to a daytrip from seville to visit cordoba.
also if we skip cordooba any other suggestions to spend these 2 days. i was thinking nerja. what do you think
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 06:04 PM

Cordoba is a trivial day trip from Sevilla. But whether it can be done as a day trips depends on what you plan to do there.

I went to Mezquita, Alcazar,Roman bath museum, and had a lunch at El Caballo Rojo in 7 hrs. I had time left over before catching a train.
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 06:13 PM

Looking back on my notes from a trip to Andalucia in March 2002, I can hardly believe the pace we kept! I was younger then, I guess. I would say that Granada and Sevilla have a lot more to see than the other towns, especially Sevilla. Don't skip Cordoba! You could do it as an easy day trip, since the AVE train goes there in maybe an hour. The Mezquita was among the top sights I've seen anywhere!

In 1 day in Granada (not counting transportation), we saw all of the Alhambra, most of the Generalife, the cathedral & Real Capilla, and walked around the Albacin.

We briefly stopped in Nerja, but as the weather was cool and rainy we couldn't really enjoy the beach or the view. At that time of year, I'm not sure it would be worth it.

We spent 1 night in Ronda, then we woke up very early to walk around the lovely town (and saw the bridge, gorge, arch of Philip V, etc.) before the tour groups got there. Once they did, it got crazy. We also visited the Palacio de Mondragon, which was OK but nothing young kids would enjoy. You could use Ronda as a base to do day trips in the surrounding towns and countryside, although I'm not sure how much driving you'll want to do with children in tow. Setenil was especially interesting to me.

In Sevilla, we saw the cathedral (impressive), the Real Alcazar (beautiful and large), the bull ring and museum. We stayed in Santa Cruz area, and loved walking around in the evenings. We also visited the world fair grounds. I strongly recommend a day trip to Italica, and a small flamenco show while you're there. We spent a total of 4 nights/3 days in Sevilla.

We stopped in Cordoba for 1/2 day on our way to Madrid on the AVE. That was long enough to walk from the train station into town, visit the Mezquita and see the Roman bridge, and walk/shop in the old neighborhood.

Hopefully, you'll get some additional advice about family-friendly sights and activities!

Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 06:14 PM

We did a similar trip last May, but did a day trip to Arcos from Ronda. We spent a couple of days at the beach-( Manilva) and your young children might enjoy that.

Cordoba is worthwhile and not too far from Seville- we stayed near Carmona and drove to Cordoba from there.

We really enjoyed seeing Andalucia
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 06:29 PM

You could do Cordoba as a daytrip from Sevilla but with 2 small children in tow it may be easier to keep the itinerary as you have planned. I spent 3 nights in Cordoba in Spring 2007 and there was plenty to do and see.

However, if you wanted to skip Cordoba you could instead spend time in Sanlucar de Barrameda, El Puerto de Santa Maria or Cadiz. There aren't a wealth of "sights" in these cities but may be enjoyable and relaxing with children - you could also get in some beach time.

I think you've got a great plan laid out here. Most people try to do too much with limited time but this looks just right.