Amsterdam in November

Search

Amsterdam in November

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6th, 2005, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amsterdam in November

My husband and I will be in Amsterdam during the first week of November. Does anyone have any "not to be missed" sights or restaurants? Any recommendations would be appreciated!
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 05:48 AM

Hi --

If you click on your screen name (may have to click on it twice), you'll see that your other two posts for Amsterdam in November already have responses.
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the heads up! I kept posting but then it wouldn't show up.
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 07:06 PM

If you've never been to Amsterdam you should do the Anne Frank house and a canal boat ride. Hit an Indonesian restaurant for a Rijsttafel (rice table). It's great. I will also be in Amsterdam the first week of Nov., planted at the bar of my favorite coffeeshop.
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 07:29 PM

Greyhaze, I've been to Amsterdam a couple of times but have never done the "coffeshop" thing but I'm rather intrigued by it. I too will be there in early November. What's your suggestion for a good coffeeshop for a first-timer?
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 10:24 AM

I think a good coffeeshop for a first timer is de Kuil 420 cafe. It's on a little alleyway (Oude Brugsteeg) maybe the 3rd alley to the right after you leave Centraal Station and cross onto Damrak. It's more like a friendly neighborhood bar as it also serves alcohol.

As a first timer be sure to mention this to the dealer so he can reccommend a mild variety. The strong Amsterdam weed is not for first timers as it is some of the most potent in the world. For this same reason do not eat or drink any items that contain cannabis such as space cake, tea, or milkshakes.
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 12:05 PM

marty,
Just want to second larry's suggestions.
I was thinking "when in Rome..." on a recent trip to Amsterdam and went to a coffeeshop to try something I hadn't done since college (over 20 years earlier). Big mistake. DW and I shared 1/2 of a small joint and I barely made it back to our apartment 3 doors away. It took me 12 hours before I could function at all. I suggest ONE drag and wait 10 minutes to take another. Really.
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 12:44 PM

I suggest you stay away from "White Widow" but seriously, you'll be presented with a "menu" and the people are VERY knowledgeable about what is strong and what isn't.
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 06:45 PM

If you're not a regular smoker, Amsterdam is not the place to dive in head first. Some of the strains are very strong and wouldn't be recommended for an infrequent smoker. At first you might want to buy a little and try it in your hotel to see how it hits you. Just the experience of walking into a public place and being handed a menu of hash and marijuana which you can legally buy and smoke is an Amsterdam must, at least once. Stay out of the big chain coffeeshops such as all of the Bulldog shops and the Grasshoppers. They offer low quality and high prices. Also, only buy the Dutch herb becuase the other stuff sucks. If you are a tobacco smoker then you can buy prerolled joints of tobacco and herb mixed together at most coffeeshops.
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 07:17 PM

Larry, bardo, voyager, greyhaze - thanks for the suggestions. LOL Bardo - I would certainly like to make it back to my hotel standing up. My friend and I lingered outside several coffeeshops last time, but chickened out before going in. A friend from Denmark is going to meet me in A'dam, and I think he's a little more experienced on this matter than I am.
Old Oct 15th, 2005, 07:39 PM

I wouldn't be chicken to go into the coffeeshops..you don't have to smoke, i barely ever do (notice i said "barely)".I like the atmosphere and think they are cool..Try out the Dampkring, it is in the central area, very friendly staff, you can have a beer..As someone else already said de Kuil 420 cafe is also a good place...A few tokes is good enough if you aren't used to it..There are ton's more, check them out..
Old Oct 15th, 2005, 07:52 PM

And by the way, it is freezing in Amsterdam in November..Bring lots of warm clothes, i almost froze to death last time we went in November and I am from Alberta!!
Macsix, my husband and I have been to Amsterdam several times..Depends what you like to do or what type of restaurants you like to eat at, because there are all sorts of good places..I really like the Heinekin Brewery Tour, especially on a cold rainy day...For restaurants, try Nam Kee..very good Chinese food (Zeedijk 111-113)...I thought it was delicious..Also loved the Taj Mahal (if you like Indian food), it is behind the Heineken Brewery..Grab the free magazine called "Boom" when you get to Amsterdam and they have all sorts of things to see and do...On a nice day (if you get one)it is fun just to sit at a street cafe on a canal and watch the world go by..Lots of shopping, museums..Take a day trip to Harlam or any of the small cities outside of Amsterdam..Eventhough it might sound touristy, take a canal boat tour..It is a nice way to see Amsterdam..Have fun..It is a great city..
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Everyone, thanks so much for all of your advice!