Search

ALSACE REGION

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2006, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ALSACE REGION

We are coming to the Alsace region of France for three nights in October. Could someone recommend the best location to use as a base. Also any recommendations for places to stay would be appreciated. We are driving to this location from Zurich and then departing to Basel our next stop. Thank you
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 07:42 AM

If you want to stay on the "Route du Vin" I recommend Ribeauville or Riquewihr as a base. Within the villages there are lots of little quaint hotels, restaurants ansd shops. Both villages are beautiful.

When I was there i had a car so I didn't stay in the villages but in a hotel called Hôtel Le Mandelberg which is a 3km outside of Riquewihr. I really liked it and I also thought the rates were incredible. From there it was easy to explore to wine route and other villages. Here is their websight.

http://monsite.wanadoo.fr/hotelmande...fr/index.jhtml

Perhaps you can lift the email from the sight and request rates and reservations by email. The rates are usuallu under 100 euro.

If you don't want to stay on the wine route you can stay in Strasbourg which is also a lovely city. One of the hotels that is highly recommended is the Hotel Cardinal des Rohan. I stayed there a few years ago and loved it. It is right near the cathedral and a lovely little place that is priced were well!

http://www.hotel-rohan.com

Have a great time and don't forget to do some restaurant research, they food in Alsace is terrific. I also have to say that the people are so friendly and lovely too!
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 07:45 AM

Colmar, a cute regional town and wine center, makes a great base for the Route des Vins Alsace road that runs thru the heart of the Alsace wine-making region.
Very cute town - ample hotels.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 08:14 AM

We were here in Spring 2004 and stayed in a lovely little hotel in Bleinschwiller on the Route du Vins - the Hotel Winzenberg. The owners were very gracious. Simple rooms, great breakfast room, good location. And an amazing little restaurant next door called Pressoir de Bacchus run by a young husband and wife team.

Didn't stay here but ate at the wonderful restaurant -- L'Ami Fritz in Ottrott. Would probably stay here next time. Great location, also on the Route du Vins, closer to Strasbourg.

Both hotels have web sites with pictures.
http://www.winzenberg.com/homeus.html
http://www.amifritz.com/SiteAmiFritz.html

It is easy to drive from village to village. The roads are well-marked.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 08:29 AM

>We are driving to this location from Zurich and then departing to Basel our next stop.

Somehow, the itinerary does not make sense. You want to drive from Zürich to Alsace (through Basel) and then backtrack to Basel?

(it might also make sense to avoid the int'l drop-off fee by taking the train to Mulhouse or Colmar and renting a car from there, you would have to compare the prices)
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 09:39 AM

Joyce,
In May we stayed at Le Clos Saint Vincent. It is a lovely hotel that is on a hillside overlooking Ribeauville.
Wonderful view!
It was a great base for exploring Alsace.
www.leclossaintvincent.com

Have a wonderful trip in a beautiful area of France!!
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 12:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Big city base: Strasbourg.
Small picturesque town base: Obernai.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 12:57 PM

I also enjoyed Obernai.
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much, have written to all the hotels suggested. Heard good and bad about Hotel Fritz, would you really stay there? Will look into our route, we were arriving in Zurich, driving directly to the Alsace wine region to stay for 3 nights, then back to somewhere between Basel and Gruyeres to stay 3 more nights (need a base location) and then to Luzerne for 2 nights and back to Zurich for the last 3 nights. So I think we will be okay with the car rental. My husband does not like to go by train, he just prefers to drive everywhere. Getting excited. Will look into restaurants also. Thanks.....J
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 09:36 AM

Just a comment. Personally I didn't like Colmar. Its sort of a mixed city of old, mid and new. If you want a city do Strasbourg but I highly recommed staying at a nice quaint place on the wine road.
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 09:40 AM

>My husband does not like to go by train, he just prefers to drive everywhere

It's fine to drive in Alsace and around Gruyeres, but you will NOT enjoy it in Zürich and Lucerne. Unless cruising an additional 1/2 - 1 hour looking for parking is your idea of nice holidays.
(I have done that last weekend with my parents and really, really recommend you to overcome the train phoby)
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 10:17 AM
jay

How about Strasbourg. Colmar is about n hour away and you can also go to Baden-Baden. If you go to Mulhouse which is near Basel then be sure to go to the Schlumpf (French National Automobile Museum) Museum.
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 10:24 AM

>French National Automobile Museum

Yes, the Schlumpf collection is really worth seeing. Mostly French and Italian oldtimer cars, from the times when the car design didn't converge into today's lack of individuality.
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 10:53 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm with richardab that I do not like Colmar. There are so many quaint, cute towns along the Route Des Vins that Colmar, personally, would be my last choice (actually I just wouldn't stay there). I put in a trip report that the real Venice should sue for defamation of character because Colmar bills itself as Petite Venise.

We stayed at Le Clos Saint Vincent in Fall of 2003. Unfortunately, we were not as enamored as Bailey. I thought it to be a little snooty and our room was worn. Perhaps they have upgraded since then. My wife was a little put off by the Rob and Laura Petrie beds, too. Ohhhh Rob!

I will say that the views of the surrounding countryside from the hotel were fantastic, the dinner was good and the location excellent.

Hopefully Cruella Di Vil is still not the hostess at the hotel/restaurant. You'll know it's her if she she has a broom and a pointed hat, and tries to turn you into a newt.

Have fun. The Routes des Vins is definitely a place we would like to return.

Old Sep 8th, 2006, 11:29 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Don't forget to visit Haut Koenigsbourg.
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 11:38 AM

I stayed at Ami Fritz in Ottrott in 2001 and enjoyed it. There were three of us and we all thought it a good choice.
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 11:46 AM

Add me to the list of those who didn't care for Colmar -- We also stayed at Ami Fritz and liked the smaller towns & villages. Obernai is another option with several restaurants & shops.
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 01:05 PM

We stayed in Colmar. We wished we stayed in one of the other towns in the area. Add us to the list of those underwhelmed by Colmar. If you want a "city", stay in Strasbourg.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

We are in the processes of looking into the quiant, cute towns along the Route Des Vins. Thank you for your comments on Colmar, think we will now rule that city out. Definitely will do the Haut Koenigsbourg and the Schlumpf Museum. Our itinerary is as follows:

Arriving in Zurich and driving to the Alsace, France region for 3 nights.

Driving to the area between Bern and Gruyeres to stay for an additional 3 nights.

Driving to Lucerne for 2 nights.

Driving back Zurich to stay the last 3 nights.

I see that we will pass the Basel area going and coming from the Alsace area but can not figure out another way to go. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you all for your replies.