Reload this Page >

Alsace, France-information

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 05:00 AM
Dot

Just wanted to know if anyone had traveled to this area and where to go and what to see. How was the lodging and the driving in this area. And anything else. We are thinking about a May trip there and just needed more information. thank you

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 06:17 AM
Ariel

I have visited there, my parents have lived there for the last 2 years. It is a really wonderful place/area. You can start at Strasbourgh (sp??!!) and head down to Colmar, tkaing in a number of the small towns along the wine route. The wine is just incredible. We also really enjoyed the food. May would be a perfect time, the weather will be great, so you can sit out on the patio at the restauants or go for hikes in the area - lots of hiking available to some neat waterfalls and ruins. The people are incredibley friendly. Prices were compariable for food and clothing to toronto, Canada. Sorry - can't say about lodging. Driving is fine - if my Mum can drive just about anyone can.<BR><BR>Check out this website:<BR><BR>http://www.visit-alsace.com/home_ang.html<BR><BR>Oh and you must stop in a have some chocolate - definetly a food group in this region. Also, plan a long meal with a number of courses - Alsace style, including a cheese course, and wine in between each course.<BR><BR>Also, if you go and stop in at small shops in the smaller towns, greet the owner, make small talk if it is possible (depending on your French), as is customary there. They don't seem to mind people not being able to speak French.<BR><BR>Okay - so I totally loved it. Oh, one LAST thing are the old buildings, that remind me of Tudor style - Colmar is an excellent example of these houses, as is an area of Strasbourgh (le petite somthing).

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 06:33 AM
Fred

It's a wonderful area. We loved staying in Colmar - I can give you the name of a very moderate, old hotel right in the center of the old town if you want it. Colmar is a wonderful Alsatian town - looks like a Hollywood set but it's for real. See Colmar and spend a couple of days driving out to the little Alsatian wine villages north of Colmar an hour or so - Riquewihr, Ribeauville, others. It's very easy driving, small local roads winding through the vineyards, pretty little towns. Stop for a lunch of Choucroute and a bottle of Riesling - super. <BR>They give a recommended tour from Colmar - <BR><BR>Les Circuits d'Alsace<BR>6, Place de la Gare <BR>68000 Colmar <BR>Alsace France<BR>TŽl: : 03-89-41-90-88 <BR>Fax : 03 -9-41-90-99<BR>E-Mail : [email protected]<BR>For Paris information e-mail me: [email protected]

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 08:39 AM
Sue

In Strasbourg the Hotel du Rohan is a great place to stay; it's on a pedestrian street, right across from the beautiful cathedral. The rooms are nicely decorated, and you couldn't get a better location. Reasonably priced, too.

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 12:10 PM
curt

Strasbourg is a wonderful place as is all of the Alsace. For a real treat visit the great castle south of Strasbourg called Haut-Koeningsbourg. It is a great castle on top of a mountain and is just so interesting. Visit a winestube for a great meal..be sure to have the regional speciality of chocrute (sp?)..yummie. Another unique dish is the tarte flambe, basically a very thin crust pizza like dish with cream and onions for a topping. They also make flambes with fruit toppings. The beer made there is outstanding. My favorite is Kronenburg and Fischer is quite good. If it is still in business there is a great microbrewery called O'Neals that makes great beer and aslo has good food. Try the special white beer when they have it.<BR><BR>For a real treat of a hotel try the Regent Contades (4 star) very close to old part of city. You should not miss the cathedral either it is so imposing and the clock inside must be seen. The square in front of the church, surrounded by old half timbered buildings, is so pretty. As you can tell I do like Strasbourg and the Alsace. You are also within a day trip of the Black Forest in Germany as well as Basel, Switzerland, etc. Just a great area to base yourself in. Have fun<BR>

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 12:23 PM
Julie

We were in Alsace last fall and enjoyed it thoroughly. If you're into food and wine at all, it's especially fun. There are probably more Michelin starred restaurants in that one small area than in any/most others. Lodging is also excellent in all price ranges with better quality per franc than most other regions. It is very easy to drive in the area. Purchase the michelin area map for Alsace. It's worth it. I also suggest the Alsace guide from the series "Touring in Wine Country" It has great in-depth info about all of the many small wine villages. Although you will definitely want to see Strasbourg and Colmar, the largest towns in the area, I'd suggest staying in one of the small wine villages. We stay in Obernai at the Le Parc. Paid about $160 or so per night in a juniot suite type room with balcony overlooking the lovely outdoor pool. Although we never saw it, the place supposedly had its own bowling alley. It had two dining rooms and flowers spilling out of the flower boxes outside everywindow, like every other structure in Alsace. It's a fairytale place. You can't help but love it.

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 01:59 PM
Ladybug

This is a great thread! But may I throw in a little variation to Dot's question that may be of interest to other people who don't like to drive in Europe: <BR><BR>Would it be practical to "base" in Colmar and get around the Alsace area by either walking or taking trains and busses? And is it possible to simply walk portions of the Wine Road with little trouble? <BR><BR>Would gratefully welcome any advice or comments on this option, while enjoying replies to Dot's inquiry. Thank you!!<BR>

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 03:50 PM
aaa

ttt

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 06:22 AM
jw

Hi. A number of years ago I spent four nights in Dambach-la-Ville and visited Strasbourg, Colmar, Riquewhir, and Obernai by train easily. Dambach is very small and quaint with a tiny town market square and vineyards all around. Unless it has grown a lot, it's for those who want a tiny peaceful place to stay. There was a nice two-star there, but I can't recall the name. Alsace is a wonderful mix of French and German architecture, food, language, etc. J.

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 07:28 AM
MBrown

Strasbourg, Colmar and La Route des Vins are all a must. On the Route des Vins be sure to visit Kaysersberg. It is less well know that Riquewihr and therefore less crowded. They are both charming villages.<BR><BR>If you like castles visit Haut Koenigsbourg. It was built in the 12 century and restored at the turn of the century by the Germans. The French took it back along with the rest of alsace shortly after the restoration was complete. It is perched on the top of a mountain and offers beautiful views. Get there early as it is very popular.<BR><BR>For a splurg, I stayed in the Regent Petit France in Strasbourg. It is a wonderful 4 star hotel located in the petit france neighborhood of Strasbourg. The rooms are spacious and lovely with comfortable beds and nice bed linens. The interior design is by Phillip Starck. The breakfast buffet is very good and includes eggs and sausage in addition to the european classics. The hotel is perched over the water as it was an old mill. The majority of the rooms have nice views. It is right in the city center and a short walk to the cathedral. It prices out on travelocity and expedia at 138 for double occupancy standard room breakfast included. Here is their web site: http://www.regent-hotels.com/petite-france/index.html

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 09:04 PM
Diane

I highly recommend Ami Fritz in Ottrott, a lovely small hotel near Obernai. You can read my trip report and see some photos of the area at<BR>http://www.travelswithdiane.homestea...ip2001pg4.html