advise on paris hilton

Jan 17th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Original Poster

advise on paris hilton

My husband and I are going to Paris for 1st time in April. I am looking for input on where to stay. Has anyone stayed at the Hilton Paris by the Eiffel tower? If so how was the facility, location, etc. It is a 4* and I can get for $119 per night. Does anyone have any other suggestions for what might be nicer in that same price range.

thanks for your input.
Jan 17th, 2007, 08:22 PM

That's an excellent price for a 4* hotel; I doubt that you could do better in that price range.
Jan 17th, 2007, 08:26 PM

Sorry but the title made me burst out laughing. I'm sure there are lots of men with advice about Paris Hilton!
Jan 17th, 2007, 09:48 PM

Hi azkraem,
We decided in the end to stay in an Apartment in Paris but I did have the Paris Hilton on my list of hotels - I too, thought it was quite good value -but I have not stayed there.
Jan 17th, 2007, 10:00 PM

I have stayed there twice -- once on my honeymoon in 1999 and again in 2004. The first time we stayed in a "back" facing room with no view, but it was very quiet. The second time we stayed in a room facing the Eiffel Tower and the view was awesome. The rooms were large and the service was excellent.

At $119 a night, that is a bargain for almost any decent hotel in Paris, much less a nice one. I'm not sure that I'd consider the Paris Hilton a 4-star, in the American sense, however.

I did find the walk to the metro a little farther than I'd like (I want to be within a short block of the metro), but again for $119 a night I wouldn't complain!

Enjoy your stay and your trip to Paris. You'll love it!
Jan 18th, 2007, 04:28 AM

That is a bargain price. I stayed there a few years ago - the room was a decent size & quite nice, & I particularly remember the breakfast being good ! But I wouldn't stay in that part of town again - there's not much around there apart from the obvious & it's a long walk to the more interesting areas. I know there's the metro but I prefer to stay somewhere where I'll enjoy strolling round & dining in the neighbourhood.
Jan 18th, 2007, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input everyone. I guess the title is funny, I didn't link about the person Paris when posting. Caroline mentioned you might stay in a different area. Which area do you recommend? Do you have any ideas on hotels in the other area that would be nice and in the $120 per night range?
Jan 18th, 2007, 08:51 AM

I've always liked staying around the boulevard st Michel. But I'm afraid I can't recommend the budget hotel I stayed in last time (as it wasn't very nice), & the one I've mainly stayed in before that (& will go back to in future) is a more expensive. But there are loads of posts here about budget Paris hotels, including one I remember from just a few days ago.

I quite like Montmartre too and a lot of other people here also like the islands or the Marais.

Sorry not to be more helpful.
Jan 18th, 2007, 09:04 AM

Many people want to stay in that area, I really don't think you'll get anything remotely close to that level of hotel for that price in the more central, busier areas like the islands, St Germain, etc. That's only about 90 euro, and many 2* hotels in that area cost more than that now.
Jan 18th, 2007, 09:55 AM

Good price for that establishment. I'd go for it, even though it is not my favorite neighborhood (too dead and too expensive).
Jan 18th, 2007, 10:03 AM

Agree that $119 is a ridiculously low rate for that hotel, or any 4* in Paris. The location is not the most convenient, but no matter where you stay, you'll want to go all over.

The Paris Hilton is convenient to the Bir Hakeim metro station, and many bus routes, though the stop for only bus (#80) that runs after 8:30 is about a 1/2 mile away (but a lovely walk along the Champs de Mars). It's also a nice walk to the 7th or 16th, chock full of charming shops and reasonably priced restaurants with moderate prices.

I booked three nights (to extend our apartment stay) for September with Hotwire. Typically (sometimes not), when rooms rates are that low at a major chain, especially during high season, the hotel will be undergoing some sort of renovation or there is construction nearby.

Advantages of pre-paying with US Dollars is no conversion fee on your credit card (if there is one) and knowing the exact price - you never know about the exchange rate...

The Hilton has a taxi stand right by the entrance and the door man will give the driver your destination (handy if you don't speak French).

For that rate, and the quality of the hotel, I wouldn't worry about the slightly less inconvenient location. With the savings you can dine, splurge on a taxi (especially for getting "home" late at night).

On the way to the Bir Hakeim metro station is (to me) the best selection at the lowest prices for souvenirs/gifts. I've seen many, many of the same items elsewhere for much higher prices. And, there are many neighborhood stores (as opposed to touristy gift shops) along Ave de Suffren if you need anything (pharmacy, sundries...).

And, it IS right next to the Tour Eiffel and the Seine!

Jan 18th, 2007, 10:10 AM

Great price for that hotel. Just be aware that it is of the 60's modern look - not French looking at all. And do find a cafe nearby for breakfst. they specialze is a massive, extremely expensive buffet that is nowhere near worth the money.
Jan 18th, 2007, 10:58 AM

This is probably a price on Hotwire for $119 USD + taxes and fees. I doubt you will get anything nicer for the price, except possibly something more or less equivalent if you bid for a 4* hotel on Priceline in the St. Germain - Latin Quarter - Montparnasse zone.

Of the two known possibilities in that Priceline zone, the Le Meridien Montparnasse and the Marriott (formerly Sofitel) Rive Gauche, the Meridien might be more convenient than the Hilton (debatable) but the Marriott would not be.

However, I would not use Priceline to bid on the Eiffel Tower - Grenelle - Montparnasse because the risk of an inconvenient hotel is quite high, and the other zones are likely more expensive.