ACCOMMODATION IN DUBROVNIK

Jul 4th, 2003, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

ACCOMMODATION IN DUBROVNIK

Hi there

I'm looking for info re: pensiones/villas (of VERY reasonable prices) in Dubrovnik. I'm spending over $1600 CAD (!) for a flight so I'd like to find out about the best accommodation available at the lowest price ie. ensuite bathrooms, double - quad occupancy, old town Dubrovnik preferable I've heard. If you have any info/recommendations I'd appreciate it. I'm looking into the last 2 weeks in August.

Thanks

Bridget
Jul 4th, 2003, 08:58 PM

August is prime time in Croatia - expect to pay maxium $$$ - however, there are numerous old Croatian ladies renting rooms in their houses for very reasonable prices -maybe in the Old Town, probably not. I would suggest calling the Croatian Tourist Board for more information - 212.279.8672.

What else? Lapad - which is next to the Old Town - while not having the charm of the Old Town is very convenient to the Old Town - so don't disregard accomodations there.

You may also want to try Atlas-Croatia, http://www.atlas-croatia.com/
Jul 5th, 2003, 06:15 AM

Bridget, You won't be able to stay IN the old town, because there aren't hotels there (maybe a couple of "sobe", which are the rooms Mark is talking about). But you will most likely want to stay just outside, where you can look at the old town, which is a fantastic thing!

The sobes are indeed your best option. You can negotiate for one at your port of entry (they landladies are waiting for you at the ferry dock and the bus station) or you can go to a tourist office and make a deal for one. You will pay more for one at a tourist office because the govt. takes a big chunk. But then you eliminate the awkwardness of negotiating price and location with someone not likely to speak English.

Dubrovnik is a fantastic place! You will love it. Have a great time.
Jul 5th, 2003, 10:38 AM

Try www.adriatica. net they provide private accomodation and You can book directly. If You have more questions dont hestate to ask me here, Im right in Dubrovnik
Jul 6th, 2003, 09:27 AM

Try www.dubrovnik-online.com. We have arranged for an apartment through that site. Many private individuals rent small apartments and rooms. You can look at the pictures and most show a map so you get an idea of where the apartment/room is in relationship to old town, etc. Prices vary, but we are going economony and found something within our budget. We will be there in August too! Can't wait.

Christine
Jul 6th, 2003, 05:50 PM
elr

I would like to second the atlas travel recommendation. They are everywhere and know everything. Although I stayed at a sobe in the old town, if I had to do it again, I'd definitely stay just outside of the old city.

The Croatia tourist ofc can also provide the email address of Sabina Custovic, who is a remarkably helpful Atlas agent based in Dubrovnik.
Jul 11th, 2003, 04:15 AM
Original Poster

Hi there

Just a thank you to everyone for the suggestions. Did that make things so much easier! I hadn't expected to see so many accommodation choices and with photos - very helpful. I found everyone very responsive who I emailed accommodation requests to. I've selected an apartment just outside the old town by about 10-15 minutes for a very reasonable price. The only thing that at first came as a surprise was that they request deposits to their bank account. I'm used to reserving accommodation to credit cards. After seeing it appear in responses from those that are renting out their houses/apartments I realized this must be a standard.

Regards

Bridget