a special place in the Dordogne

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2010, 01:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning a trip to Bordeaux and Dordogne for next year. It will be a significant anniversary for us (a mere 40 years), and I am looking for a special place (hotel or chateau) to stay for a few nights in Sarlat or the Sarlat area.

So, that's my question. Who can recommend that "special place" that I'm looking for?
Old May 6th, 2010, 07:07 AM

Are you looking for a hotel, a gîte to rent, or what? And what's your budget? There are lots of "special" places, but it would help to know what you have in mind.
Old May 6th, 2010, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Hi StCirq! Thanks for responding.

I'm looking for a beautiful hotel or chateau - somewhere with a great view and/or beautiful grounds, and of course nice rooms. It should definitely have (or be within walking distance to) a great restaurant, where we could dine in the evening and drink lots of great French wine without having to worry about driving back to our hotel. It could be in town, or in the country. Budget up to 250 E per night.

Below is a link to a beautiful place which I think would fit the bill, but which is not located where we would like to be (near Sarlat).
http://www.castelnovel.com/
Old May 6th, 2010, 07:57 AM

Google Le Mas de Montel in Ribérac, Clos la Boëtie in Sarlat, and L'Esplanade in Domme.
Old May 6th, 2010, 08:27 AM

Not really in Sarlat - about 40 minutes away, but I would highly recommend Le Vieux Logis in Tremolat http://www.vieux-logis.com/

I know St Cirq isn't crazy about it, but I don't know when she was there last. We live the other side of Sarlat, so for us it's an hour, but worth every minute. We were there in April to celebrate several significant birthdays, and as usual loved the meal, had great service, with a complementary glass of champagne (because they had heard us talking about the birthdays, not because anyone asked) Going back again in the next week or so for the 'tapas' lunch, now 39 Euros, and still a bargain. (I did a review of this restaurant in 2006, with more details, and it's still great.) http://tinyurl.com/36szenk

Also beautifully decorated. Every time I go there I want to live there forever (Dream on)

Plus they have a more informal 'Bistro d'en Face' just opposite - also very good.

Castel Novel is not the kind of place you want unless it's changed considerably since I was there. And the Brive area is not so great for a short holiday like yours.

Clos la Boetie is in Sarlat, but not romantic.

And unlike others, I really don't like the Esplanade. We always have issues with the service when we are there.
Old May 6th, 2010, 09:38 AM

I forgot about this: the Château Puymartin, between Les Eyzies and Sarlat, has a lovely little gîte for rent:

http://www.chateau-de-puymartin.com/site.html

The château has a ghost, though, La Dame Blanche, in case that's of interest, or a worry, to you.
Old May 6th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks.

You've given me lots to check.

I'll be back after I check the ones mentioned above.
Old May 6th, 2010, 03:24 PM

We were in Sarlat several years ago for my son's 13th birthday. I gave him a choice of several restaurants for his birthday dinner (admittedly, not quite the event that yours is). We had stayed at l'Esplanade before, and had eaten there, so that was one of the options I gave him. My foodie opinion was that the food wasn't the greatest, but still very good, and that the views from the terrace were wonderful. Also, their cheese cart was very good. So that's where he chose (we stayed at a B&B in Sarlat).

We had notified the restaurant in advance that it was our son's birthday, and we were treated very well throughout dinner. We had a wonderful spot on the terrace, with views up and down the valley. Unplanned by us or the restaurant owners (I assume), we were treated to an amazing thunder storm. We were done with dinner by then, and it was just before dessert, so we were promptly rushed inside.

For dessert, they brought out a beautiful birthday cake for my son, decorated with sparklers. They (including the elderly owner) sang him the French happy birthday. It was a wonderful celebration.
Old May 6th, 2010, 03:33 PM

We enjoyed staying at Chateau de la Treyne.

http://www.chateaudelatreyne.com/
Old May 6th, 2010, 03:56 PM

sssteve:
Just to add to Lexma's apt descriptions of the view from L'Esplanade, here are a few quick scanned snaps. Only dined there but have never stayed. For lodgings, we favor the Domaine de la Rhue in the countryside near Rocamadour. But not that close to Sarlat, so it may not meet your criteria. We've used it as a base on two occasions and found it very scenic and easy to get around the Dordogne-Lot vicinity on day trips, N, S, E or W.

http://picasaweb.google.com/stuarttower/DordogneDomme#

http://www.domainedelarhue.com/gb/accueil.htm

***(rates should still be well below your budget ceiling..and yes, to this old octogenarian, it <b>is</b> a romantic place...but what do I still know about romance. Eh?!!)

Stu Tower (whatever you eventually choose...enjoy your 40th!)
Old May 6th, 2010, 05:17 PM

We've stayed at L'Esplanade and it was fine, but certainly not memorable. The food, however, was quite good.
Old May 6th, 2010, 07:03 PM

We stayed at l'Esplanade and the view is superb, restaurant good, but the drive up and down got tiresome and the parking can be a problem. We much preferred Le Pont de l'Ouysse in Lacave with one of the best chefs in the area, a lovely setting where the Ouysse joins the Dordogne.