Search

Dordongne

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dordongne

I would like some suggestion on top sights to see in the Dordogne. We have rented a farmhouse for one week from 11 July in Ste Foy la Grande. We will hire a car.

Thanks
Old May 19th, 2009, 05:22 PM

I was there in 1997; it has been a while, but I do remember loving St Foy. Also, Sarlat was a beautiful town to spend some time. Domme is absolutely beautiful, I would consider Domme essential, and consider even an overnight there. Les Eyzies was very interesting as well.
Old May 20th, 2009, 07:03 AM

I have a 20+ page itinerary for the Dordogne. I've sent it to hundreds of people on Fodors. E-mail me at [email protected] if you want a copy.

Stu Dudley
Old May 20th, 2009, 07:27 AM

Hotel l'Esplanade in Domme is a nice hotel with a tremendous restaurant. Room 15 has the only balcony and in my opinion, it is worth the extra bucks to sit with cocktail and admire the view. Waking up above the clouds is a nice experience as well!

It was referred by some Fodorites and it was a home run!

I liked Domme very much. It has a wonderful view of the entire valley.

I'm in the minority when I say Sarlat didn't do much for me.
Old May 20th, 2009, 08:01 AM
ira

Hi W.

Unless my meds are playing tricks on me, Foy Le Grand is between Bordeaux and Bergerac.

It is about 1:40 hr from Sarlat, 1:35 hr from Lascaux II, 1:12 hr from Le Bugue, 1:37 hr from Domme, 2 gr from Rocomadour, 2:47 hr from Collonges-la-Rouge and 2:35 hr from Grotto de Pech Merle.

But you are only about 0:26 hr from Chateau Monbazillaz - great white wine.

You might wish to reconsider your venue, if possible.

Old May 20th, 2009, 09:26 AM

St-Foy-la-Grande is an OK town, but it's NOT where you want to head for a week in the Dordogne, especially if you're coming all the way from Australia. It's far from the center of activity, and the scenery there is NOTHING like what you'd have an hour farther east. Plus, it's on the main commuter route from Bordeaux into the Sarlat-Périgueux area (where you DO want to be), and the main street is a thoroughfare.

If you're a connoisseur of the Hundred Years War, a trip to nearby Castillon-la-Battaille is well worth it so relive the moment when the French got France back. And Monbazillac does have good wine. But really, I wouldn't come halfway across the world and miss the mark by an hour's drive (unless you have compelling reasons like relatives in the town or something).

I would see if you can find a place that's "really" in the Dordogne so you can take advantage of all the wonders it offers and not have to drive 3 hours a day to get there and back.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 06:27 AM

Dordogne - what a beautiful region. I think its a place for some R & R so dont plan too much!
I would suggest finding some vinyards to plan into your trip...
http://www.qualityvillas.com
Old May 22nd, 2009, 11:35 AM

With very few exceptions, the Dordogne is not known for its vineyards. There are only "minor" wines there, like Bergerac and Pécharmant and Monbazillac. People don't visit the Dordogne to see vineyards.

And there's no advertising allowed on Fodors.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 12:26 PM

Get Stu's intinerary! I just received it and it is EXCELLENT