Rocamadour (and others) in The Dordogne?

Old Feb 26th, 2003, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rocamadour (and others) in The Dordogne?

We are in the early stages of planning our main 2004 trip and are considering the Dordogne. Have any of you stayed in Rocamadour? Your thoughts, impressions, etc. Also, what other favorites do you have in this region and what makes them so?

I would greatly appreciate any/all feedback as I plan to take the info I receive here and conduct more extensive research.

Thanks for your help.

Strive
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 09:18 AM
Michael

My feeling is that Rocamadour is on the edge of the Dordogne and that it would be better to stay in a more centrally located place, perhaps between Sarlat and Les Eyzies.

Bourdeilles, on the other side of the Dordogne, is one of my favorite chateaux because it combines substantial remains of a medieval fortress with a Renaissance chateau on its grounds. This chateau has an extensive collection of furniture from the sixteenth and seventeenth century.

Here is an off-beat suggestion. We have twice been at a "repas de chasse." The first one was an al fresco meal in the village's school yard, and the second one was on a farmstead. This is not the tourist offering. It was posted at a butcher shop in Périgueux covered market and was not for the faint-hearted. If you have problems with less than pristine conditions, don't undertake such a meal. But for 15 euro per person, we had a ten course unlimited food meal centered on deer stew and grilled boar with all the liquor and wine you might want to drink. That is something to look for wherever you will be staying. Be prepared to be the only outsiders at the hunting club's festivity.

Old Feb 26th, 2003, 09:50 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We visited Rocamadour a couple of years ago, and although the setting is very spectacular, it is a very touristy town. Saying that, we did enjoy ourselves there for the day.

We were staying in Les Eyzies (camping), which did seem like a good base for the Dordogne area.

Old Feb 26th, 2003, 10:24 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rocamadour is actually outside the borders of the Dordogne. As you know, it's a major pilgrimage site along the route to Compostela. It calls itself "le deuxième site de France," meaning it's the biggest pilgrimage site after le Mont St Michel. Although geographically different from le MSM, it's still very striking. It also has the same throng of purveyors of religious trinkets and t-shirt shops as well as the same throngs of tourists.
While worth seeing, it's not an ideal place to stay.

You'd be much better off staying in the Périgord Noir around the Sarlat area and making a nice long daytrip to visit Rocamadour, the Gouffre de Padirac, Martel, and Colonges-la-Rouge. From a base in the Sarlat area you would have access to innumerable prehistoric sites, lovely villages, incredible restaurants, and plenty of cultural and recreational activities.

I have many favorite places in the Dordogne, including some of the plus beaux villages de France (Beynac, la Roque-Gageac, St-Léon-sur-Vézère), but also Le Bugue, which is a classic, practical market town; Limeuil when the sewers are working properly; Belvès; Lalinde; Tamniès; St-Cyprien; Monpazier....the area is overrun with adorable villages and lush countryside.
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Michael, Marz & StCirq:

Thank you all for the information. I have copied down the names of all the places/events you have discussed and will definitely begin looking into them.

Again, thank you for your helpful information.

Strive