Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

8 hour stoppover at Fiumicino (Rome) - what to do?

May 10th, 2005, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

As the title says, we arrive in Rome at 6:50 am, and our next flight to Budapest is at 3pm. Is there anything to do in/around the airport, without hitting downtown Rome? I was told that it's a long train/taxi ride, and costly too, so I don't know if that would be worth it. Any suggestions?
May 10th, 2005, 07:37 AM

Ostia Antica - 5 minutes from the airport. Here's more from Fodor's miniguide:

http://www.fodors.com/miniguides/mgr...&feature=30007
May 10th, 2005, 09:44 AM

FYI: The train ride from FCO to Rome is about 30 minutes. It costs about 10 euro per person.
May 10th, 2005, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks ellenem for the info. Do you think it's worth it to hit the city? By the way, this will on Saturday morning (if it makes any difference).
May 10th, 2005, 10:07 AM

Have you been to Rome before? If not, I'd say it would be worth it to get a taxi into the city...maybe get dropped off at the Forum or St. Peter's Basilica. You may want to research and find one or two top destinations (top in YOUR book)and hit those spots before going back.
May 10th, 2005, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Sandi,

Our trip goes like this:
Rome -> Hungary -> Vienna -> Prague -> Rome. We'll have about 3-4 days in each, and we'll have time in Rome at the end (3 days also). That's why I'm not overly concerned about seeing anything major, only something that's close.

At the same time, is there anywhere to leave luggage at the airport, or is it best kept with us?
May 10th, 2005, 10:12 AM
ira

Hi sp,

Good suggestion to see Ostia Antica.

>..is there anywhere to leave luggage at the airport, or is it best kept with us?<

Isn't your luggage checked through to Budapest?

I don't think that there is luggage storage at the airport.

May 10th, 2005, 10:20 AM

Do you have to collect and recheck/store luggage? If your flight lands at 6:50AM, you might be able to get a train to Rome within an hour. OK, so that puts you at Roma Termini by, say, 8:30AM, perhaps 9AM.

Termini is not right next to the best sights, so you would have to take the metro or cab--add another 15-30 minutes--we're getting close to 9:30AM.

Is your flight at 3PM? Therefore do you need to be at the airport by 1PM? 1:30PM? Deduct an hour from that time. . . you need to be on your way back to the airport by 12:30PM. You decide if 3-4 hours is worth it.

Personally, I would do it. (I once had the unfortunate opportunity of spending 5 hours at FCO after a flight delay--never again!) But I would arrange a cab or private shuttle service (I think it might cost about 45 euro for two people one way) to maximize the time. Plus then you could save more time as sandi suggests and have them drop you and pick up near the area you actually want to visit.

I'd suggest you choose one of these three areas to visit:

1) Ancient Rome: Forum , Colosseum
2) Ancient Center: Piazza Navona, Pantheon, Trevi Fountain
3) St. Peter's, Vatican
May 10th, 2005, 10:27 AM

Another idea would be to hire a limo company to tour you around in their car and then bring you back to the airport. It can be an overview for your visit at the end of your trip, you will have seen some of the basics and where they are and understand part of the layout of the city.

The driver can take you to a lunch too, waiting for you and then taking you back to the airport.

I would prob. do it this way.
May 10th, 2005, 10:48 AM

This is why I love this forum because we are staying at Rome Airport Hilton the first night (we pick up friends at the airport the next day a little after 11am and head to Spello), and I never even thought about visiting Ostia Antica.

My question is this: From the Airport Hilton, should I take a cab to and from Ostia Antica? Is there a metro stop at the airport to go there? Should I just pick the car up early and drive there? I'd rather leave our luggage at the Hilron while visiting, if at all possible.

Of course, two hours will not do it enough justice, but two hours is better than no hours. spdztr, thanks for asking this question.
May 10th, 2005, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

To answer a few questions, we have to collect/recheck baggage, since the flights were not booked together. We fly to Rome using Alitalia, and then continue to Hungary using SkyEurope. I've heard that with these small charter companies, it's best to be there with plenty time to spare, as it may be on a first-come-first-serve basis. Good ideas to rent a limo or taxi to get to the city, but we'll be spending 3 days in Rome at the end of our trip, so that's why I'm a bit hesitant. We had to spend 8 hours at the San Diego airport last month, and that was agonizing, but it was nice to sit in the sun. Coming from Toronto, it may be nice to just sit outside in the sun and relax while we wait for our flight.

Please do keep the suggestions coming, they are truly appreciated!
May 10th, 2005, 11:28 AM

You could also walk over to the Hilton and sit in their lobby or have a lunch. I know there is an indoor spa there but I am not sure if there is an outdoor dining area. If their buffet breakfast is available, it is delicious.

Or have a limo or cab driver take you over to the lido or to the Ostia Antica for the sights. There are cabs parked at the entrance to the Hilton, strike up a bargain with one of them.
May 10th, 2005, 02:21 PM

FCO has left luggage service. I'll be using it for a 7 hour layover in Rome next week.

The left luggage is located at Terminal C, ground floor (international arrivals) and it's open every day from 7 am to 11 pm.

FARES

Conventional luggage
0 - 7 hours = 2 euro
7 - 24 hours = 3,5 euro

http://www.adr.it/content.asp?L=3&IdMen=628
May 10th, 2005, 03:15 PM

Dear fellow Canadian:

Rome Prague Budapest and Vienna. That has got to be THE BEST trip in Europe.

May I assume you are taking Air Canada's new non-stop flight Pearson-FCO?

If I were in your situation and if I could check luggage at FCO, I would definitely take the Termini express into Rome --

Or take the local for 5 euros into Trastevere station and hop on a tram to the centre of Trastevere (or to Largo Arenula) for a bit of a walk-about.

You haven't asked on this board for Vienna or Budapest suggestions. Feel free.

I, who have re-christened myself The Budapest Bore, would gladly advise....
May 10th, 2005, 04:17 PM

Reminds me of my first time in Rome many years ago. I had a deep seated dislike of Italy -- based on absolutely nothing - for some reason. I was going from Cairo to Vienna, and had to go through customs in Rome with a looong delay. I had a snotty customs agent. We had a shouting match (I lost, of course), and that led to a really thorough search of everything I owned. Thoroughly disgruntled, I ended up shouting, "I don't want to be in your damned country country. I'll just sit in the transit lounge for eight hours!"

After I had calmed down, I realized how childish I had been and decided to go into Rome. Still seething, I wandered around and found myself in a park. In the park were a huge number of people in Leiderhosen. Seems there was a convention of some sort of Northern Italy fraternal society, and they had all gone to the park for a picnic. As I strolled by, they were singing. Not bawdy songs as I might have expected, but opera. Beautiflly done, by the way.

As I stopped to goggle, they waved me over, thrust a glass of wine into one hand and food into the other. I was instantly adopted as a member of the family, and a dim but happy number of hours later they poured me onto a train back to the airport a completly changed man.

I love the Italians!

I can't guarantee you will get the same treatment, but do NOT miss the opportunity to visit Rome!

May 10th, 2005, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info about leaving the luggage Presocia.

tedgale, we're actually flying with Alitalia, not Air Canada. I hope the flight will be enjoyable!

I haven't asked about Budapest primarily because I have cousins there, and they'll be showing us around. I was born there, so I look forward to seeing the country I haven't seen in many years. Vienna, Prague, we've bought books for (Top 10), so I hope they'll tell us the main things to see. Also, we do still have 3 full days in Rome at the end of our trip, so we'll definitely get to see the Vatican, Coliseum, etc. during that time. We've been getting a lot of great ideas from here so far, thanks a lot!
May 10th, 2005, 04:52 PM

Nukesafe, what a delightful story!! Lost the argument with the customsman, hmmm what a surprise, LOL! How wonderful that you did get into Rome and had the adventure that you did. No telling when we travel what we will discover. Take care.
May 10th, 2005, 07:02 PM

spdztr, since you have 3 days and you will have just flown in...i'd say some down time wouldn't be bad...but i'd prefer my down time in Rome itself. it'll be nice just to get a feel of the city...maybe grab a pizza for an early lunch and back to the airport again.

but if you want to actually sight see, then the ostia idea is just fab.
May 11th, 2005, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies! I hope I have enough time to do a bit of research into what we'll do.