london on a sunday?

Old May 2nd, 2005, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
london on a sunday?

we're going to be in london this weekend, and i'm trying to plan an afternoon/lunch for our family and another. 4 adults, 2 toddlers and a newborn.

i'm wondering what sights might be open, and what other activities are recommended for little ones, bearing in mind that the weather is forecast for 50's and cloudy. yes, i know it's 6 days off, but i think it's safe to say it won't be a lovely day to frolic out in a park in the sunshine.

our hotel is in mayfair, and the other couple is taking the train into the city to meet us. i was thinking maybe lunch somewhere kid-friendly, then off to either a toy museum, the toy department at harrods, or any other type of casual playtime for the kids. food recommendations always welcome!

thanks so much!

julie
Old May 2nd, 2005, 03:36 PM

this recent thread may help a bit

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34600146
Old May 2nd, 2005, 05:14 PM

Unlike the US - most srores in europe are not open 7 days a week. Harrods specifically - and I believe all dep't stores in London - are closed on Sundays.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 03:08 AM

Some epartment stores are open for some hours, Selfridges for example is open from 12-17h, but I think even longer now. Also open is HN, but I think this less interesting with children.
Maybe Hamleys( big toy department store) is open? Try theire site! Harrods is closed but many shops are open on sunday.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 03:13 AM

Actually, NYTraveller's advice is a bit off - most stores are actually open, it's just Harrods that keeps sticking with the old ways by closing on a Sunday. Hamley's on Regent Street, one of the world's largest toy stores, is a kid's paradise and WILL be open.

London is a bit slow to get going on a Sunday but does open - most sites and stores don't open til 11-12.

And you never know with the weather - we've just had the most glorious weather over the weekend - I had to wear suncream for the first time this year - sunny and low 70s. It's looking a bit miserable during this week, but may perk up again at the weekend - so be prepared to ditch all your plans to go and play games and have a picnic in Hyde Park if you get lucky!
Old May 3rd, 2005, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the suggestions so far, especially hamley's and the previous thread reference which included the hyde park art fair. both sound like good ideas, and i HOPE the weather improves!!!!

thanks,
julie
Old May 3rd, 2005, 11:16 AM

You can see Chitty Chitty Bang Bang which has Sunday performances! (certainly a kid friendly show but enjoyable by adults as well)
Old May 3rd, 2005, 12:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Harrods is about the ONLY dept store not open on Sunday and even they're open Sundays during the holiday and January sale seasons!

Hamley's will be a major hit with the toddlers.

Though it's slightly off the regular tourist path, the Museum of Childhood at Bethnal Green will have much to engage little ones. (Bethnal Green tube station off of the Central Line). Here's the website:

http://www.vam.ac.uk/vastatic/nmc/

It's a busy place on the weekend, you won't be alone, especially if the weather is truly awful.

A couple of months ago I noticed that Pollock's Toy Museum on Scala Street had reopened. It's decidedly toddler UNfriendly. Dusty shelves, steep stairs, and the toys are all in cases. It's all a bit shabby, unfortunately.

And don't give up on the weather. Even short range forecasts are often wrong!

I'm not sure I'd be up for taking 2 toddlers and a newborn to the theatre.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 12:24 PM

the tube opens a bit later than usual on sunday. also at the hotel breakfast is served a bit later too on sunday as policy.

i think all the museums and sites should be open. i think they have another day of the week closed. sunday is a busy day.

Old May 3rd, 2005, 12:28 PM

You're right...didn't read the post closely enough. The theatre is not the answer for toddlers.

Sorry
Old May 10th, 2005, 10:31 PM

A great restaurant which is especially child friendly is the Rainforest Cafe in soho on Shaftesbury Avenue - closest tube station is Piccadilly http://www.therainforestcafe.co.uk/index.asp
Old May 11th, 2005, 06:52 AM

They needed the info before last weekend.

Keith