what is open/closed on sundays in london

Old Feb 22nd, 2003, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

what is open/closed on sundays in london

i was planning a trip to london, which will include a sunday and wanted to see if anything important (museums and such) would happen to close on a sunday...particularily in may sometime. thanks
Old Feb 22nd, 2003, 01:00 PM

Hi ucsun!
Most museums and other points of interest are open on Sundays in London. Just be advised that churches/cathedrals do have services in the morning and some in early evening so visitors are not invited to "sight see" during that time but may attend for worship. Some shops may also be closed so don't plan to do any major shopping on Sunday.
Happy travels
Rick
Old Feb 22nd, 2003, 01:18 PM

This is one of those questions that seems most easily answered by consulting a good standard guidebook. Most give opening times and days of the week with each sightseeing entry.
Old Feb 22nd, 2003, 09:24 PM

Just about all tourist attractions are open Sundays. But some places (like the Tower, British Museum, etc) should be avoided because Sundays can get VERY crowded.

Many Department stores are now open on Sundays. Harrods isn't - it did open on Sundays this past Christmas season for the first time - but that was just for the holidays.

Most posh, high-end antiques shops, tailors, boutiques, etc are closed.

Most Theatres are dark. A couple of exceptions - The Lion King and the Complete Works both have Sunday matinees.
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 06:09 AM

Very few West End theaters are open on Sunday.

Last year I went to the Lion King, because it was about the only option. Turned out it was my favorite show of the 4 I saw.

Keith
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 06:09 AM
TT

Are the markets (Borough, Camden, etc.) a good possible alternative on Sundays?
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 06:23 AM

Camden is a zoo on Sunday. Go early. At some point in the day. Camden Town tube stop is closed for return trips (arrivals only) and you have take the next stop up the line (Chalk Farm?) to get back into central London. It's not much of an inconvenience but is an indication of the crush of people. I prefer Saturday for this funky market.

Old Spitalfields, Brick and Petticoat Lanes (all kind of co-located) are a great way to pass a Sunday morning. Spitalfields is less funky and more organic.

Most of the museums have sunday hours. All the Covent Garden shops are open as well as most of the dept. stores (except Harrods). Whoops. Someone already mentioned that.

Plenty to do on Sundays.

Old Feb 24th, 2003, 07:59 AM

Hi UCSun,

I have another option. Bayswater Road has an open-air art "show" on Sundays starting at 10am. Basically, artists line up along the street for almost a mile, selling their art. Some of it is quite good and reasonable. I bought a small oil painting that I love for 30 GPB. From there, you are right next to Kensington Gardens Park which should be lovely in May, and also Kensington Palace, which we didn't go in but it is open Sunday.

Also, I hear that Marble Arch on Sundays is fun to see the speakers/preachers who jump on their "soap boxes" on Sunday afternoons.

We went to the British Museum (but it was last month so we weren't worried about crowds). It is open until 6pm on Sundays.

Have fun!
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 08:09 AM

I am afraid I have not tried Crivelli?s Garden. In the area, beside Embankment station, I like Gordon?s wine bar.

English art is at Tate Britain, open 10 to 5.50 daily, Pimlico tube. Classic paintings are in the Wallace Collection, Sundays 2 to 5, Bond street tube.
For very English Sundaty morning mattins at 1030 in the Chapel of St Peter ad Vincula in the Tower. Entry is of course free.

That evening a concert.

Please write if I can help further. Welcome to Lonfon.

[email protected]:btinternet.com