4 Star Cheap Hotels Near the Pantheon | Alex Noudelman

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2019, 06:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi I'm looking to book a hotel for 6 nights. Not too expensive. I am looking for it to be close to the Pantheon in Rome, Italy. Any recommendations would be much appreciated
Old Mar 17th, 2019, 08:13 PM

You need to define cheap and tell people when. But cheap and near the Pantheon don't tend to go together.
Old Mar 17th, 2019, 08:41 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Cheap and 4 star don't seem to go together either.
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 04:13 AM

" 4 Star Cheap Hotels "

Now there's an oxymoron.
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 05:11 AM
J62

Well, they specifically requested a 4 star hotel, which means that they have a specific need to have one or more of the items that a 3-star hotel in Italy doesn't have to provide, eg..

Daily sheet change
Hotel laundry service
Parking for 50% of the rooms

Personally, I've never needed those features. For me, the key features of a 3-star are sufficient.
Hotel has a bar.
Reception staff wears a uniform and speaks a foreign language, and is open 16hrs a day
Room has internet.

see https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...tem-Italy.html

One-star hotels: reception must be open at least 12 hours a day; cleaning of rooms at least once a day; minimum size of double rooms 14 square meters; change of sheets once a week.

Two-star hotels: must have an elevator; change of sheets at least twice a week.

Three-star hotels: must have a bar service, receptionists must speak at least one foreign language; the reception must be open at least 16 hours a day; personnel must wear a uniform; each room must have internet services and private bath.

Four-star hotels: in addition to daily cleaning, the room must be re-set in the afternoon and sheet and towels must be changed daily; must offer laundry services to clients; must have parking for at least 50% of the rooms; double rooms of at least 15 square meters and bathroom of at least 4 square meters.

Five-star hotels: reception must be open 24 hours a day and must offer at least 3 foreign language capabilities; single rooms must be of at least 9 square meters and double of at least 16 square meters.
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 07:07 AM

I really don't know if anyone pays any attention to an arbritary list of what consitutes a 2,3,4 or 5* hotel. I've never considered a star ranking in terms of how many hours the front desk is manned for or how many official languages are spoken. To me the ranking system is based on luxury and amenities. Therefore when I consider what a 5* hotel would comprise of it will have a selection of suites, a pool, a decent gym, a decent restaurant etc. I expect the rooms to be a generous size and furnished with high quality beds and bed linen. Of course others will have different opinions. The list copied from Tripadvisor is merely a guideline for hoteliers.
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 07:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
It is only a "three star" and I don't know what you consider cheap and when you're going, but the Albergo Santa Chiara is just around the corner from the Pantheon and is pretty reasonable for the area. We stayed there quite a while back, but thought it was a good hotel. https://www.albergosantachiara.com/en/

As noted above, the star ratings in Italy depend on meeting certain specs which may or may not be important to you.
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 07:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The hotel star rating system in Italy is not an informal guideline for hoteliers. The amenities required at each level have been set by the government since 2009. Hotels in a lower category may provide some services required at a higher-rated property (like daily linen change or an elevator), but they have to offer ALL of the required amenities in order to receive the additional star. Spain and Greece also have their own government-mandated rating systems, but France, Germany and the U.K. have voluntary systems.

https://hotellaw.jmbm.com/hotel_lawy..._rating_s.html

https://businessblog.trivago.com/sta...et-comparison/

IMO, it's more useful to look for the specific amenities you require in your budget range rather than compare star ratings. I find booking.com a good place to start.
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 08:13 AM

To me the ranking system is based on luxury and amenities. >>

well, you are wrong then, that isn't what it means. First, the idea that a 1-2* hotel has anything to do with "luxury" doesn't compute. All star rating systems I know of in any country that has one, it depends on lots of things that are basic qualities of the hotel and measurable, not just "amenities" whatever that means. Having an elevator and English-speaking staff, for example, as well as room size, are considered. I don't know what you call an "amenity" but it is nothing as trivial as whether they provide monogrammed soap.
Old Mar 20th, 2019, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Christina
To me the ranking system is based on luxury and amenities. >>

well, you are wrong then, that isn't what it means.
How can I be wrong? It's my opinion, it's how I interpret a star rating based on what I want from a hotel. If it doesn't provide a pool then it's not a five star hotel IN MY OPINION, I couldn't care less what some official guideline stipulates, I clearly stated "to me....".

You may have a completely different perception of what a 5* hotel should be like and it's possible that it may differ from the official guidelines, does that mean your opinion is wrong?
Old Mar 20th, 2019, 12:03 PM

Well the ranking is defined.
That you like criteria or not is another thing.
Old Mar 20th, 2019, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by ahbonvraiment
Well the ranking is defined.
That you like criteria or not is another thing.
Christ, this is hard work!

I know the ranking is defined, that's not the point I'm making. I'm saying that I have a different set of criteria for what I determine constitutes 1*, 2*, 3* and so on and so, I suspect, do most people. Therefore the post by the person reiterating the guidelines by the Italian tourist industry and suggesting that the OP was seeking accommodation in strict accordance to the guidelines was not only presumptious but quite likely incorrect.