Reload this Page >

2 and 3-star hotels in Rome; best area?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 10:47 AM
Frank

We are thinking of visiting Rome for a couple of weeks in June. Are there areas of the city that are more charming or convenient than others in which to look for a hotel? Does anyone have recommendations for particular hotels or listings of them? We tend to favor a nicer two-star or any three-star hotel when in Italy.

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 11:26 AM
Marianna

Hi Frank,<BR>I live and work in Rome as a tour guide so know the city very well. I always recommend hotels in the historical centre. The reason being that you are right in the heart of this beautiful city the minute you walk out your door. Special preferences are around Campo di Fiori and Piazza Navona. This is where you will find many good wine bars, restaurants and gelato shops and close by good shopping. <BR>There are quite a few nice 2/3 star hotels in this area but remember in the high season they book out very quickly as of course many of them are quite small.<BR>If you would like to email me direct I would be more than happy to send you some of my favourites.<BR>Regards<BR>Marianna

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 12:20 PM
Henry

I booked in a 3star in Rome. It was grungy and overpriced. Worse, the shhets made us itchy and ha hairs on them. When we went to ask if they could change, the guy said u have to wait until morning because he was alone. WE quickly found a 4 or 5 star and told manager (iit was a yelling match) we left and were never charged. I dont recall name, and othe 3 stars in other cities in italy were ok. I would just sk alot of questions about the hotel before u get there. Get some pics, ask about staff size, last renovation, etc. Sorry i dont remember neighborhhods--its been 5 years. good luck..

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 01:26 PM
Diane

We stayed at Hotel Due Torri near Piazza Navona. It was a 3 star and as many others on this forum have noted, a delightful place to stay. We will stay there next time we go back -- unless I end up with a free stay somewhere else (highly unlikely!)

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 02:23 PM
Rex

I have posted frequently with positive remarks for all of the following:<BR><BR>Albergo (Hotel) Cesari - - halfway between Trevi Fountain and the Pantheon<BR><BR>del Senato - - directly facing the Pantheon. Phenomenal view if you are in the fron, at or near eye level to the top of the Pantheon.<BR><BR>Both of these are in the area I recommend most (as is due Torri and also Santa Chiara, I think - - both recommended vocally and often on this forum). So much so that it may be driving the prices up. Too easy a flow of customers.<BR><BR>All of these can be found on www.venere.com - - a great one-stop window-shopping/inquiries/booking web site which I have used countless times - - though others have reported that they do not offer rates quite as low as contacting the hotels individually.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR><BR>

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 03:52 PM
geri

Just returned from Italy a few days ago. In Rome we stayed at Residenza Zanardelli, just north of Piazza Navona. Excellent location, within walking distance of everything--Vatican, Pantheon, Trevi, Spanish Steps, Colosseum. Owned by same family that has Hotel Navona. Would recommend it highly; think we paid 110 Euro a night.

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 01:54 AM
topper

To the top

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 04:44 AM
Rex

If I'm not mistaken, Zanardelli is on the new National Geographic Traveler list, right?<BR>

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 04:55 AM
elaine

Hi<BR>In my opinion there is no excuse for any hotel to have dirty sheets, and especially not at the three star level.<BR>I wish the previous poster could remember the name of that bad hotel so we could all be warned.<BR>Follow the above suggestions for hotels if you like, or do a search here on<BR>Rome hotel and find those and many other previous suggestions, many at budget price levels.<BR>Many small hotels book up well in advance, so don't wait much longer.<BR>You can also consult the reliable book<BR>"Cheap Sleeps in Italy."<BR>I have a long file on Rome; if you'd like to see it, email me.

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 02:31 PM
Frank

Thanks for all the suggestions. I might say, in response to Henry's post, that I have never encountered dirty sheets in a hotel in Europe, whether two or three star, and I have to believe that was an aberration. <BR>In terms of neighborhoods, does anyone have experience with staying in Trastevere?<BR>

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 02:14 AM
Helen

Hi Frank - yes, we have stayed in Trastevere in Oct 2001, and will never stay anywhere else! I can recommend Hotel Francesco (350 000 Lira for double room) It is a recently renovated 3 star, - nice, clean, with friendly helpful staff, and a wonderful buffet breakfast. It is just far enough from main streets to be quiet, but still within walking distance from all the sites. This one is a true gem!

Old May 20th, 2002, 02:17 AM

topper