Search

Hotels in Rome

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2015, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotels in Rome

Hello. I'm looking for hotel recommendations in Rome preferably 4 star. We'd prefer modern and clean rooms in a central location that's a nice area and not too noisey. Some recommendations that I've received so far are the Grand Palace, Hotel Lunetta, Aleph hotel and the Times Roman hotel. Would love to hear thoughts on these hotels and would appreciate any other recommendations. Thanks!
Old Aug 17th, 2015, 11:45 AM

Where did you get this list of hotels? They look like something travel agents might suggest.

I don't know where your are from, but the first thing about selecting hotels is understanding the star rating system.

If you are from the U.S., many people from the U.S. imagine the star systems like this: http://www.ccrainternational.com/tools/HotelRatings.htm

However, the star rating system in Italy is a facility rating like this: http://www.4hoteliers.com/features/article/3901

The Grand Palace and Aleph are around Via Veneto. The area feels more business and is not strictly central. It is not far from the Spanish Steps, however.

Times Roman is in Monti. Another are, while geographically in the "center", it is not in the area of activities in itself. Those who have been to Rome many times might choose to stay in Monti for different reasons.

Just use google street view around these hotels.

Thel Albergo Lunetta is near Campo dei Fiori, a more interesting area. If you drop google street view, you notice the streets are more lively with less car traffic.
Old Aug 17th, 2015, 11:57 AM

We are booked in Hotel Adriano.....only 2 nights and it is in a great location. Cannot recommend because this is the first time staying there. Friends have advised the Piazza Novana as a great location.....I think I spelled it right.

I did read about the star rating as well and Greg is right. For only 2 nights I want a good location.
Old Aug 17th, 2015, 01:00 PM

mels: Close -- it is spelled piazza Navona. Don't feel badly. There is nothing intuitive about how that piazza got its name that would steer you straight.
Old Aug 17th, 2015, 01:08 PM

gcoho,

With a requirement like "not too noisy", then you really must read lots of guest reviews to know if a hotel meets that standard for you. I refuse to stay in any hotel where even just one reviewer reported they were kept awake by noise from the street or other rooms -- and that is because many people giving recommendations about hotels

(a) don't notice noise or figure it isn't worth mentioning because everybody should expect noise in a "big city"

or

(b) were treated so sweetly by the reception desk and staff that they hate saying anything negative about the hotel, and want other people to give their new "friends" business.

So you really need to read multiple reviews on booking.com or TripAdvisor to see if you can find complaints. Often, if it is quiet, people will make a point of saying so.

Piazza Navona is one of the noisiest places, overall, in Rome, especially on many small side streets. However. some hotels are located nowhere near pubs, discos, outdoor cafes, and such hotels can be totally serene and as quiet as bank vaults (Rome's thick walls).

If you need a comfortable hotel, don't look at ratings, and don't take recommendations without reading reviews -- and lots of them -- from people who stayed there during the weekns and months that you will be traveling -- because then you can also find out if the heating or air con works, and what happens if you open windows or turn on hot water. Just knowing the rating won't tell you much of anything.
Old Aug 17th, 2015, 01:12 PM

I meant to add that I would rather get a great night's sleep and walk an extra half mile to the sights or take a taxi than not get a good night's sleep due to noise in a location smack on top of the tourist sights where all the outdoor bars are dumping wine bottles into the trash at 2am (and the garbage collectors are picking them up at 5am). Location in terms of proximity to sights is not everybody's priority for a hotel -- although there are many hotels right on top of the most famous tourist sights with excellent soundproofing -- but you won't know which ones unless you read a range of reviews from people who actually slept there.
Old Aug 17th, 2015, 01:24 PM

I've recommended the Hotel Canada for years. It's about 4 blocks from Termini which is definitely not a tourist area but it is quiet as long as your room is not on a lower floor on the Castro Pretorio side.

There is a metro station right around the corner; and you will not find a better hotel in its price range. We always stay there and adjust our stay dates if they're fully booked which frequently happens.

I guarantee you that everybody to whom I have recommended this hotel always come back saying thank you.

http://www.reservations.com/hotel/be...FQswaQodEuUA8Q

http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwest...electedHotels=
Old Aug 17th, 2015, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all! I came up with this list through a combination of Amex's website, Trip Advisor and Booking.com. I am used to the U.S. Rating system. This is helpful. It's hard to tell from some of the reviews how nice the rooms are. I've heard mix things about the Termini area.
Old Aug 18th, 2015, 05:42 AM

I read mixed reviews about the Termini area as well. My friend who recommended the Piazza Navona area is a US Air Pilot that flies to Rome once a week. You do not have to be on top of the Piazza....my hotel is close to .5 miles away. It is near the Pantheon and Campo de' Fiori. As far as reviews I see that it is not on top of the noisy tourist area.....but leaving in couple of weeks I will find out. I am bring ear plugs just in case for all locations. You could check hotels near the Piazza Novana area, that is what did. again I am only in Rome 2 nights, location is important
Old Aug 18th, 2015, 08:55 AM

I used to stay in La Lunetta when it was a budget backpacker hotel. Now it's way over my budget, so I haven't stayed there in over ten years. It's right in the thick of things, but it was always a quiet little corner when I stayed there, maybe because the street leads nowhere except to the back of the church of Sant'Andrea in Valle.

Piazza Navona used to be called <i> in Agone </i>, from the stadium that was there in ancient times. (<i>Agone</i> referred to athletic games in ancient Rome.) I assume Navona is a corruption of N'agone. The Church of Sant'Agnese in Agone, on the piazza, still bears the ancient name.
Old Aug 18th, 2015, 11:03 AM

Hotel Lunetta sure looks nice if you can afford it.

On my last trip to Rome I found myself near there a few times. I would stay there.
Old Aug 19th, 2015, 02:22 AM

I have a question

We are a family of 3, with child aged 8 years. Can we book a room based on 2 Adults ?
Old Aug 19th, 2015, 02:26 AM

Keeping in mind that we can all sleep on a Double Bed and do not require anything extra(Bed)
Old Aug 19th, 2015, 03:12 AM

Asimm,

We are a family of three too. We ran into this problem a lot booking our hotel in Spain particularly. There were quite a few hotels that did not offer any triples at all notably the H10 where we wanted to stay. We were always asked how many guests, and when we said "3" were told we needed a junior suite type of room or a "triple". Perhaps because you all are able to sleep in the same room, it won't matter? I would specify to them you only need one bed and perhaps then you can use a double. I noticed that after the age of "10" on many of the European hotel websites a child is considered an "adult". Our son is 11 and we were asked for his age whenever we booked a room. We also NEED space for three although most probably our kid will sleep with one of us anyway. I am impressed the three of you can fit in a double! Clearly your kid is not a diagonal sleeper like ours! Best of luck!
Old Aug 19th, 2015, 03:48 AM

Hi, just stayed at hotel Raphael (9-14 August) and its a minute away from Piazza Navona - I didn't have a problem with the noise and found the area to be very convenient to many sites. Yes, it is right in the middle of tourist central- but I'm a tourist. In the day it was crazy, but i definitely appreciated it at night. Enjoy your stay