Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Trip Report: Sailing in Croatia, with a Stop at Wimbledon

Old Aug 3rd, 2015, 04:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm more of a Caribbean denizen, but thought you might be interested in my trip report(s) of a recent trip to Croatia, where we chartered a sailboat, bookend-ed by days in London, including attending Wimbledon. They are posted here:

https://sabrecalypso.wordpress.com/2...-england-2015/

https://sabrecalypso.wordpress.com/2...-england-2015/

https://sabrecalypso.wordpress.com/2...-to-wimbledon/
Old Aug 3rd, 2015, 05:06 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Great, Callaloo - thanks for posting. interesting blogs and nice photos.

that sailing trip looks very attractive - care to post the link to the company you went with?
Old Aug 3rd, 2015, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

We used Sunsail: http://www.sunsail.com/ (But there are many, many charter companies in the area, including Sunsail's sister company, Moorings.)
Old Aug 3rd, 2015, 06:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
nice write up
Old Aug 3rd, 2015, 07:42 AM

thanks, Callaloo.

I'll have to have a look at them.
Old Aug 3rd, 2015, 08:32 AM

Nice report, glad you got to Wimbledon. I just want to clear something up though:

Luckily, we had upped our style game a bit – I was wearing a skirt and jacket – because people dress up for Wimbledon. We saw many young women fully decked out in dresses or skirts with jackets, heels and – yes, most surprisingly because it was warm and sunny – panty hose (the Kate Middleton Effect?); many men wore blazers and ties. This is the reverence this event seems to require.

To a particular, narrow demographic group, Wimbledon is part of the summer social season along with Henley Regatta, Ascot etc. There are also plenty of "suits" enjoying a corporate hospitality junket. But the vast majority of tennis fans - whether they have an advanced ticket or join the queue - just come in their ordinary casual clothes, in my case an open necked shirt or t-shirt and cotton trousers. There is no dress code at Wimbledon, apart from those with entry to one of the aforementioned corporate lounges or the Royal Box.
Old Aug 3rd, 2015, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Interesting point, Gordon. Of course, even your relatively casual "open necked shirt ... and cotton trousers" are far dressier than what I've witnessed at the U.S. Open or Australian Open. Shorts and t-shirts are the rule, at least for day sessions. Curiously, a lot of American tennis fans actually wear tennis clothes to the U.S. Open. Because Bob or Mike Bryan is going to call them down from the stands and ask them to step in and play some doubles?
Old Aug 3rd, 2015, 12:25 PM

Curiously, a lot of American tennis fans actually wear tennis clothes to the U.S. Open. Because Bob or Mike Bryan is going to call them down from the stands and ask them to step in and play some doubles?>>

lol, Callaloo - every player's dream - or nightmare!
Old Aug 19th, 2015, 05:09 AM

We were in the queue on the first Wednesday (July 1) for after-5 tickets and can attest that the vast majority of my fellow queuers were dressed casually and comfortably. I noticed many more people in sundresses, sandals, shorts and t-shirts than blazers and ties. It was fun.