Search

Hotels in Rome

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2017, 12:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotels in Rome

Hello. My wife and I are heading to Rome in September (first time) and are looking for suggestions for a good hotel. Interested in best locations, prices etc. Basically any tips. Many thanks.
Old Jun 11th, 2017, 05:15 AM

dkwest,
Ah, Rome, a fabulous city. And a big one, with a myriad of sites to enjoy.

My tip re hotels would be to do look around online: try booking.com, hotels.com, or any of the many websites to search for a hotel that's right for you. You can sort by location, price, amenities, etc. What's best for you, might not be best for me. Example: I'm a light sleeper, so a quiet location is important to me, but may not be for you. Will you need a hotel with an elevator? These are things you can sort on from booking.com, or other websites.

In September, I'd check for AC, and be sure your room has it. For a first timer, you may want to look in the Piazza Navona area, it's right in the thick of things. Do you like to walk everywhere, or will you need to take public transport? How long will you be there? All things to consider.

Last time, we rented an apartment in Trastevere, and walked everywhere, but we tend to walk a lot. We have also stayed, at Hotel Bolivar, and Hotel Genio and walked everywhere from those locations. As I recall, we were happy with both hotels, although it was several years ago.

You can check reviews online, and some hotels even have YouTube videos so that you can actually see them.

I guess what I'm saying is that "best" is a bit subjective. But by narrowing your search a bit, you will find what is best FOR YOU.

One thing for sure, September is not that far away!

Enjoy Rome.
Old Jun 12th, 2017, 08:13 AM

I use booking.com for finding hotels in Rome (where I go frequently). I suggest that you enter your destination as "Rome city centre" to weed out hotels in inconvenient locations. If you know what neighborhood you want to stay in, you can indicate that as your destination, for example, "Rome Piazza Navona". You can also check off any preferences, such as type of lodging, price range, services desired.

Then you can sort the list by price or by guest rating. I wouldn't pay much attention to the number of stars, which isn't a reliable indicator of quality. I usually sort by guest rating and then go down the list until I find something in my price range. (I tend to ignore hotels with fewer than twenty or so ratings or reviews.) You could also sort by price and go down the list until you find hotels with an acceptable guest rating, and a reasonable number of reviewers). I consider a rating above 7.5 to be acceptable, but 8 or above is better. When you have a short list, read the guest reviews of the hotels on it.
Old Jun 12th, 2017, 09:04 AM

Several years ago we stayed at Hotel Parlamento. Great location---Via del Corso near Palazzo Montecitorio. Easy walk to the central historical sites. Good service, different family members at the desk during the course of the day.

It was a very good value back then. I understand they've done a total remodel, so rates have probably gone up. Some of the rooms open onto the terrace. Nice.

http://www.hotelparlamento.it/parlam...otel/index.php
Old Jun 12th, 2017, 11:11 AM
SAB

We usually stay in apartments in il cento in when in Rome, our favorite area is Via Guilia/Piazza dei Fiori. We did stay in a hotel the first time we visited --Albergo Cesari, which is near the Pantheon. It is very popular with experienced travelers and was in a good location. I assume the rates are much higher than when we first visited, but it seemed reasonable to us. But as other posters have stated it would be hard to recommend what is best for you.
Old Jun 14th, 2017, 03:47 PM

Though it was year's ago. My family and I stayed at The Empire Palace and it was amazing. Check out the website.