4 days, too long for Prague?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2005, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Prague maybe a wonderful city, but it looks like there isn't that much to see in that city.
Should we just spend two days in there, and maybe do two other days in Budapest? I've only been to London, Paris and Stockholm. and these cities are alot bigger than Prague and Budapest!
We'd probably spend the first day in a bus tour, and then go on a castle tour, and then spend the second day wandering around the old towns.
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 02:50 PM

Two days isn't enough for you to get the feel of this magical city, IMO. Last year I went to Vienna and Prague; I thought I'd spend six nights in each city. Turned out that after five nights I was ready to move on from Vienna and so I added another night to Prague instead, and I have no regrets about that! I loved using the Cadogan Guide for Prague--it includes several city walks, including a hike up Petrin Hill (I went even farther up from there--I climbed to the top of that mini Eiffel Tower). Also there's Terezin and other day trips to be had. You'll love Prague!
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 07:18 PM

Prague is one of my favorite cities, so I don't know how to respond to that -- basically, what is it that you want to do in a city that you feel Prague is so lacking in comparison to, say, Budapes? It's definitely not London or Paris (haven't been to Stockholm), but it has quite a lot to do for a city that size by most tourististic standards. I like a lot of museums, old churches, classical music, browsing shops and neighborhoods and read some Czech, so maybe I see it differently, but what do you want to do when you travel.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 08:56 AM
MaureenB

We stayed 3 nights in Prague last June-- a family of four, our first visit there. We wished for one more night at least...

Old Feb 7th, 2005, 10:55 AM

How could you possibly know that there is little to do in Praha if you have never been there???

You are dead wrong. Four days in Praha is far too little time to see all that it has to offer.

By the way, what "old towns" are you going to wander around??? And I don't know why you would want to take a bus tour of Prague when many of the city's major sites aren't accessible by bus. You would be better of taking the Metro.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 03:19 PM

I have to add to the comments that i don't think four day is enough. We spent 6 days in Prague last year and enjoyed every minute. We still talk about wishing we could be transported back to Prague to experience it again. We found it to be very relaxing- wonderful for walking, great and inexpensive concerts, interesting museums, day trips...etc. We went to Paris afterward and it took me a day to get back into the swing of a big city. Paris was beautiful but Prague was very special.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 05:25 PM

I don't want to sound like a curmudgeon and yet want to enter a word of caution re opinions on "how long to stay". Many travelers focus on the highlights of a city or country - "no more highlights, no need to stay longer". Other travelers can as much or more enjoyment out of learning about day-to-day life. Visiting a market, a grocery store, a school. things that would never make a guidebook. Decide what you want and set your own schedule.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 05:53 PM

MMHH is right and deserves some recognition for his/ her discernment.

Prague is small, dumpy and dull.

Lagos, Nigeria -- Sao Paolo, Brazil -- and Mumbai, India: these are large, vibrant and welcoming world-cities.

A stroll by a fragrant Lagos canal or down a picturesque, narrow alleyway in Mumbai will have you whistling, even singing aloud.

Does it get any better???