Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Cesky Krumlov on a short visit to Prague?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2003, 05:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi
I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts about taking time out of only a 4 day visit to Prague next early March to visit CK, which up until a month ago I'd never even heard of. I have a feeling you Prague veterans are going to say that we shouldn't take the time away from Prague, but I'd like an affirmation.
We may instead do a half day trip to Terezin.
Not the same experience, I realize.
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 06:10 AM

Somehow I think it depends upon whether you expect ever to go to the Czech Republic again--and believe me, after you go there you wil likely start thinking about going again if you possibly can. If you think you might go again, I'd say, save Cesky Krumlov for another visit. If not, go ahead and book a one day visit there and plan your remaining 3 days in Prague to maximize your sightseeing time. I'll admit to being a bread and circuses kind of person, but I'd sure not do Terezin in preference to either Prague or Cesky Krumlov.
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 06:33 AM

Elaine, the previous poster is correct in the asumption of your wanting to return to the Czech Republic after your visit.

On our trip to Prague, we had seven days and before our arrival, Cesky Krumlov was on our agenda. We didn't make it there and we didn't miss it.

Prague is a great city with so much to see and do that every day and evening will be full and if researched properly, also very rewarding. You can easily spend two days in 'Old Town', a day at Vysehrad, a day or two in the Mala Strana, a day at Prague Castle, the Jewish cemetary, etc. You can go to concerts in the evening at many different churches, also.

You will find the food inexpensive and very good and the Czech beer is world reknowned. We stopped in the evening twice at a local beer hall on Na Perstyne. Good food and drink and very fun. Definitely try the Pilsner Urquel on tap. It's the world's first pilsner and likely the best.

We used the 'Eyewitness Guide' on Prague and it contained a lot of good ino that was very helpful.

Cesky Krumlov? That's a future trip.
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

Jm
We're fortunate to be fairly regular travelers to Europe, so if any of us fall in love with Prague, as I expect to, we'll certainly return some day, health and budget willing.

Do you have particular caveats about Terezin, or is it just the time issue that makes you not recommend it?
I have no idea what being a bread and circuses person means, but it certainly is a colorful phrase.

and lee, we've already bought Eyewitness Guides for pre-trip research, but I've read the Lonely Planet is THE Prague guide to bring (sorry Fodors, I'm usually loyal.)
I don't like traveling with Eyewitness--while on the go, I find them too heavy and not organized in a way that is helpful to me.
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 12:56 PM

Bread and circuses means fun, happy times rather than serious, contemplative pursuits. If I have only 4 days in a place, I'd always prefer to devote it to a search for beauty and good times rather than spend 1/8 of it in transit to and from a non-happy place. Call me shallow, but I've only got so much time and that's what I'd do with it. All 4 days in Prague if you're likely to go again. Three days in Prague and one in Czesky Krumlov is this is likely to be your only trip to the Czech Republic. Wonderful as Prague is, there's also something very magical about the unspoiled Czech countryside.
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 01:52 PM

actually, I think "bread and circuses" is more pointed than that and came from some Roman guy -- it's a reference to providing entertainment or benefits to the public in order to distract the populace from real important issues or events going on in the country or what the govt. is doing that might not be so likeable. I could give some good current example in the US govt., but I imagine you can think of your own.

I've been to CK and really enjoyed it, but I am not sure if I would do that in a 4-day trip. Possibly -- it would not only give you the sight of their castle (which really is extraordinary and important in the history of that part of the CR), but some Czech countryside on the trip. Which, I'll admit is not wow but you do see more of the country.

There is a compromise in that you could go to Prague and see how you feel after about 2 days if your trip coincides with a possibility of a trip to CK on the 4th day. It may depend how you plan to go. I took an organized bus day tour to CK, which made it a piece of cake (reason I did it) and you don't have to figure things out, train schedules, etc. Just go to the tour group kiosk and sign up. You can possibly do that the day before, although it will depend on how full up they get.

I took Martin Tours to CK and wouldn't recommend them. The tour itself and guide were very good, but the bus (rally a small van) had very hard seats for a long ride. If it were the only one available, I would use it as the tour was good.

Prague Sightseeing Tours is my favorite now www.pstours.cz. Last time I did Kutna Hora with them and it was outstanding (and more comfortable buses). Their C. Krumlov tour is on Fridays in off-season, so if that worked in your schedule, you might decide later. Their rates are about 1700 CK for adults for that complete 10 hr day trip and that includes admissions, so it really is a bargain (that's only about US$50 now, I think).

I can also recommend their Kutna Hora trip, as I said, as another alternative for you -- and that is only a half day. Their web site just says you need to reserve by 5 pm of the day before a trip. In March, I really wouldn't worry about it being completely full way ahead. In winter (up to March 31st), note they have a reduced schedule. I reserved at their kiosk near Namesti Republicky metro stop. there are a couple other wellknown tour companies in Prague, also.

I have not been to Terezin so can't comment. I have read that their is a Jewish tour organization that does a particularly good job of that tour -- I think you can book through the Jewish Museum (which is the name of the collective in Prague). I learned that in my Frommers' Prague and highlights of CR which I found a very useful guidebook.
Old Jun 13th, 2003, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

great information Christina

thank you all
Old Jun 13th, 2003, 07:53 AM

Elaine, I was considering a day trip to Cesky Krumlov, but opted against it when I found out that the tour bus trip was almost 3 hours each way. That's 6 of the 10 hour total trip spent on the bus, with only 4 for CK? Also, Terezin is just too sad for me, may be especially so for the kids in your group.
Old Jun 13th, 2003, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Terezin will indeed be sad if we go, but it is unfotunately an important part of our heritage. If "they" lived it, the least we can do is look at it, we think. It will not be as awful, as for example,what there is to see at Auschwitz, from what I've read.

Final decision will really depend on what else we are doing, and everyone's wishes once we are there. The 16 year old should be okay with it, the twelve-year old maybe not.

thanks for sharing your info on CK--too much bus time for too little time spent there.
Next time.
Old Jun 13th, 2003, 10:46 AM

I don't know the specifics of Terezin, but Auschwitz does not permit admittance to anyone under 16. Although there is much to be learned by visiting these sites, a parent should think very carefully before taking their children there. I found Auschwitz an overwhelmingly depressing experience - and I was 35 at the time. There is no way I would ever take a teenager there.

On the other hand, in the Josefov section of Prague (beware: it is closed on Saturdays and Jewish holy days), there is a synagogue which list the names of the Jewish people of Prague who were deported to the camps. The names are carefully and beautifully written on the walls. These names had been removed under the Communists, but restored after the return of democracy. A visit there allows a less disturbing introduction to the subject for children.

Old Jun 13th, 2003, 11:03 AM

I can also recommend the Prague Sightseeing Tours half day trip to Kutna Hora. Bus was comfortable and I was able to get a ticket the morning of the trip. The tour gets you into the countryside without taking a full day away from Prague. I was in the city for a total of five days and still didn't see everything but I don't regret the Kutna Hora trip - the ossuary is fascinating. (This was three weeks ago so might be necessary to reserve earlier in busier tourist season.)
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 05:28 PM

I found that a day-trip to Cesky Krumlov was not quite a good idea. Should have at least stayed there for 1 night. It took us 4 hours by train from Prague (I heard that traveling by bus is a bit better ~3 hours). That was total of 8 hours travel time for a 5-hour day-visit. It would be a lot better to stay overnight there.

Cesky Krumlov is charming. I like the palace very much. I definitely recommend people to take a tour inside the palace. Food and accomodation were much cheaper in Cesky Krumlov than in Prague.

But I won't miss Prague for Cesky Krumlov. There are much more to see in Prague. However, I like the slow pace of Cesky Krumlov's countryside as compared to the hectic feel of Prague's city.
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 08:56 AM

Hi Elaine,

I can confirm that the Czech Republic can make addictive.
I've been there 1992, 1998 and again last month.

in 1998 I went to Cesky Krumlov (without knowing it beforehand), I kind of fell in love with that town which was one of the reasons why I came back this year!
DO IT !

I've been to Mauthausen and Auschwitz so I skipped that part of Terezin, and the rest of the town wouldn't rectify a long detour. But I can tell you that the visits of M. and A. werde deeply impressing and defenitely gives you a strong insight into men's history...

But anyhow, I've got a wonderful tip for you, if you care for a very (!) good cup of tea in wonderful atmosphere:
visit www.tea.cz and note the addresses (about 15 in the whole country).

Wishing you a great trip,
Gönne
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 09:07 AM

Elaine, I feel that Prague demands 5 days. We did love CK but that was enroute from Austria and we spent the nite. Not worth the time for you.
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 06:08 PM

I have been to CK and it is truly one the special places around. However, because it is a bit of distance from Prague, I think I would pass this time. However, and this is the important point, get out of Prague for about 1/2 a day. Catch a bus and ride for about an hour in any direction. Spend a couple of hours walking around in whatever town you end up in. This won't give you an understanding of the country, but it will make you realize that CZ is not Prague. Wonderful country, wonderful people. Don't be misled by the go-go atmospere in Prague. There is a long way to go but it is positively uplifing to meet the people out the capitol.