Reload this Page >

1 day trips out of Prague

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2007, 01:18 PM
eds_hms

Will be spending 5 nights in Prague and thought we might like to take a day and leave the city ..any suggestions for a family of 4 with 2 teenage daughters for an excursion. Not really interested in overnighting anywhere else. Have driven in Europe before ..Holland, belgium and France 2004. but probably won't rent a car unless its recommended. Thanks eds

Old May 17th, 2007, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi
If you're looking for a nice 1 day trip try Kutna Hora. It's a suburb of Prague. There's an old silver mine to explore and I believe you can use public transportation to get there. There's also Sedlac, a suburb nearby which has an interesting Ossuary.
Old May 17th, 2007, 01:39 PM

When I was in Prague I did a day-trip to Terezin - it is a town that was turned into a Jewish ghetto and internment camp during World Word II. Throughout the town there are really interesting exhibits and museums you can go through, such as the camp itself, crematorium, etc...Here is a link: http://www.pamatnik-terezin.cz/showdoc.do?docid=164 - I would really recommend it!

Terezin is about an hour away from Prague and you can get there by bus or train (just make sure you note what time the last bus leaves to go back to Prague - we read the timetable wrong and came very close to getting stuck there overnight!)
Old May 17th, 2007, 02:02 PM

I would also really recommend Kutna Hora, but it isn't a suburb of Prague. It's a separate city in its own right, a UNESCO heritage site (used to be the capital or something, I think), and is maybe an hour by car from Prague. Really, it's only about 70 km so that's nice for a day trip.

I also recommend Prague Sightseeing Service, which has this and other good day trips at a reasonable rate. see www.pstours.cz
Old May 17th, 2007, 02:19 PM
eds_hms

This information is so helpful. We just found out today that we are laying over in Prague instead of Warsaw so I had to change my focus and I am anxious to have some ideas in place .With teenagers they like a little idea of what to expect. We are interested in history, architecture and culture so we should have lots to do in Prague and will check out your advice on the day trips. Someone recommended looking at apartments for our 5 night stay. I have corresponded with shortstayapartment.com and they do have something for mid AUgust in the west part of Prague ,...any comments. eds

Old May 17th, 2007, 02:31 PM

Hi-
When I was there in March I did a half day trip to Karlstejn Castle. It's about a 40 min train ride outside the city. The town is adorable and the castle is interesting. In the summer you can do an "extra" tour of the castle that includes parts normally closed to the public the rest of the year. You'll need reservations for that.
You can check it out on my blog-
http://wired2theworld.blogspot.com
It was the last day of the trip, so it should be near the top of the blog.
Old May 18th, 2007, 06:59 PM

Following Kristina's lead, we visited Karlstejn Castle earlier this month. It was a very easy 1/2 day trip. The roundtrip train tickets for two of us was cheap, just 122 Kc (about $6 total).

We even found the place that sells wonderful apple strudel for 9Kc (about 45 cents) -- thanks again Kristina for the recommendation!

Woody
Old May 18th, 2007, 08:03 PM

Woody, that's awesome! So glad you even found the strudel-wasn't it just the best ever? Have you done a trip report?
Old May 19th, 2007, 07:02 AM

Kristina -- We would have walked right past the place if it weren't for your recommendation! They have the best strudel! And many other pastries as well. It's a tiny place with a small dining room, family run. Cheap prices (the place across the street charged 39Kc for the same thing).

Woody
Old May 19th, 2007, 12:16 PM
eds_hms

Thanks Kristina, we will probably try that trip. I am travelling this weekend (live in small-town Canada) and actually found a bookstore with a good travel section and picked up a couple of books on Prague. Ready to settle down to some research and will probably have more questions. Thanks eds

Old May 19th, 2007, 02:27 PM

Went to Prague at Christmas. We took my 17 yo neice to Terezin. I would also recommend this as a day trip. It is very easy to do by bus. Like the other poster says, make sure you note the return time for the bus.